Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man walking out angry dogs in Royal Canal near Dublin / Clonsilla / Leixlip

Options
  • 27-04-2016 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm cycling every day to and from work (Leixlip - Blanchardstown) and today it was the second time I was attacked by the same dogs. There are loads of different dogs being walked out in the canal, but usually on leashes or not dangerous. The guy (today wearing a red jacket) has two dogs: german shepherd and a young husky (or an alaskan malamut, not sure). He lets them run around unattended, the german shepherd is dangerous.

The first time his dog attacked me was about 2 weeks ago, I was cycling towards them between Clonsilla and Leixlip Confey. The german shepherd was lying on the ground, so I wanted to pass him by, I even got off the bicycle and was walking with it. The dog jumped up barking at me and trying to bite, the husky dog came along and started barking as well. The man was very far away, screaming at the dogs, but they didn't listen. Eventually he came, not even rushing, and didn't even have a leash. No apologies, just asked me if I'm OK, of course I wasn't.

Today I was cycling the same way they were walking, but the dogs were between me and the man, far away behind his back. I recognized them so I got off the bike and wanted to wait until the guy gathers his dogs so I can pass them by safely, but he didn't see anything, the dogs were far behind his back. I was very far away (about 60 meters if not more) behind the dogs, just standing there, waitning, didn't shout or anything. They saw me and all of a sudden the german shepherd started to run towards me, barking. Then the guy looked back and saw what was going on. He tried to call the dog, but again, no success. The dog again tried to walk around the bicycle and bite me, it took about a minute or two, with me trying to protect myself from all sides with the bike and the guy screaming from afar, not even walking towards us. Eventually the dog went back to the man, I wanted to shout something to the guy but he wouldn't have heard me from that distance anyway, so - angry - I cycled back and around, not wanting to risk another deadly randezvous with the dog, not even sure if the guy had a leash or not again.

Did anyone of you encounter them before? What can be done? I was thinking about letting Garda know, but I don't even know this guy's name. Is it legal to let your dogs just run around like that in there, especially big ones? That's my usual path to and from work, I don't want to change it just because someone has a dangerous dog and no imagination whatsoever, but I don't want to experience the same story for the third time.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I thought German shepherds were supposed to be muzzled when out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bafn

Yes, and kept on a lead. It says so here at the bottom of the Rules section: Rules relating to certain breeds of dog citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html#l1f4da

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

1. good for you cycling to work every day, do not stop.
    2. you should definitely call the Gardaí... how would you feel if a child was attacked by the same dog (or dogs) a week later. If you are nervous or unsure about this just print out this thread and show it to the Gardaí
    3. that dog owner is an ass (I'm a dog owner too)
    4. I've been on the receiving end of a snapping/biting german shepherd (while running on dollymount strand). I can relate to being on the receiving end of a bad dog/owner

Call the Gardaí

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Be a good idea to look up the Local Dog Warden

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Have you tried staying on your bike the fact that your getting of the bike each time seems to be setting the dog off a little or even having a word with the owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Report this irresponsible owner to the Dog Warden at the very least. Those dogs should be on leash and muzzled. I'm a dog-owner, before anyone chimes in.
    Also try carrying a water bottle; stay on the bike and give the dogs a squirt in the face if they get close.

Stopping and making eye contact is a confrontation in a dog's mind; if you ignore them and continue on by you may be safer. Easier said than done I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I know you're now scared of those dogs so approaching the man for a chat is likely to make the dogs more incensed. It's obvious the that the dogs are controlling the man and not the other way around and that makes them even more of a threat to you and other passers by. They're taking him for a walk. A dog that can't be called to heel isn't a trained or controlled dog , if the dogs are in control and you go speak to the owner, you are on their turf around their bitch (so to speak) so it's possibly an unwise move to even approach the owner.

Regardless, he will be fully aware of what his dogs are like and you will not have been the first to be chased. If you do get the chance to speak to him it might be no harm to mention that it only takes one bite to get these dogs put down. One wrong bite and his third party dog insurance (if he has it) will not cover the suit that you can bring against him which can lead to tens of thousand in compensation, court costs and the inevitable putting down of his dogs. All within your rights as well to proceed with

I've had dogs, i'm a cyclist and they can be lethal around anything that moves. Spare a thought for all parties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

cjt156 wrote:
    Stopping and making eye contact is a confrontation in a dog's mind; if you ignore them and continue on by you may be safer. Easier said than done I know.

As I said stay on the bike getting off it before meeting any dog is not a good idea it would also be easier to have a word with the owner before reporting anyone less hassle for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Really not sure what having a word with such an ignorant owner is going to achieve. I'd report to the cops and the dog warden, particularly as you have a pattern (and presumably a ballpark time they'll be there).

My experience of having a word with a dog owner that couldn't or wouldn't control their dog is that isn't worth the effort. If they had any kind of cop on they'd use their own judgement and keep them on a lead. You'll most likely just get some bs about "they only want to play" or "they wouldn't actually bite" - yeah, because I'm going to trust some randomer who is already showing a lack of judgement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I can empathize completley, I have reported a dog to fingal coco & they stated that the dog warden would call out to the address in question to advise re the complaint and to check for licenses, the dogs still chased me after I made the complaint, the lady from fingal coco advised that I could take if further and seek a court order to compell the owner to ensure his dogs could not exit the property and chase cyclists along the public road at my time and expense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement