Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkmore to Crinniu / NDLS

Options
  • 27-04-2016 10:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Via CAR, Just wondering if it's possible to get from parkmore east business park to the restaurant called Crinniu / NDLS office without going on the bother Na dtreabh road.

i.e. Can you take a shortcut through the race course or park more west business park ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hello,

Via CAR, Just wondering if it's possible to get from parkmore east business park to the restaurant called Crinniu / NDLS office without going on the bother Na dtreabh road.

Yes. Use the road that runs parallel to BnD, starts on the other side of the Clayton. The R339. Officially called Monivea Rd.

Hello,
    i.e. Can you take a shortcut through the race course or park more west business park ?

No. Even walking this ins't possible, unless you're prepared to climb some fences.

Madness really - it's visibly just across the field. But we like to build our estates in cul-de-sacs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Racecourse road and the Parkmore West roads are dead ends. Neither have any paths linking anywhere else. By road you have to take the dual carriage way, by foot or bike you'd be advised to take Road by the Clayton hotel.

On a separate note what a rubbish location for the Driving Licence centre considering what the Social Welfare managed to move into over the bus station (and across the road from the Theory test centre)

flazio wrote: »
    On a separate note what a rubbish location for the Driving Licence centre

Where would be a good location? I can't see how the city centre would be a good test-start point for this ....

It's well served by frequent buses (for whatever reason, some of the people going there go by bus - I've seen them). And tests can start of a fairly quiet road, so if someone is absolutely awful the tester can turn them around without getting into heavy traffic. (That said, it looks like they're building a new access road into HP from immediately across the road, that junction will make the test start more interesting!). And now that the cafe is back open, there's a nicer place for driving instructors and the like to wait for their cars to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Where would be a good location? I can't see how the city centre would be a good test-start point for this ....

It's well served by frequent buses (for whatever reason, some of the people going there go by bus - I've seen them). And tests can start of a fairly quiet road, so if someone is absolutely awful the tester can turn them around without getting into heavy traffic. (That said, it looks like they're building a new access road into HP from immediately across the road, that junction will make the test start more interesting!). And now that the cafe is back open, there's a nicer place for driving instructors and the like to wait for their cars to come back.

Unfortunately you are confusing the licence management crowd with the testers. Test base is in westside shopping centre..you only need NDLS for the licence paperwork but they are not testers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

flazio wrote: »
    Racecourse road and the Parkmore West roads are dead ends. Neither have any paths linking anywhere else. By road you have to take the dual carriage way, by foot or bike you'd be advised to take Road by the Clayton hotel.

Annoying alright. I was sure there would be some shortcut via parkmore west or racecourse road - without having to go near bother na dtreabh, Monivea road etc

It seems the way back from NDLS to parkmore east is shorter and I can merge onto bothar na dtreabh near enough to the big gates of racecourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

No. Even walking this ins't possible, unless you're prepared to climb some fences.

Madness really - it's visibly just across the field. But we like to build our estates in cul-de-sacs here.
    Agree it is madness. Should have a public transport and walking access between the two Business/Industrial Estates.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Agree it is madness. Should have a public transport and walking access between the two Business/Industrial Estates.

Really? Agree on a walkway but public transport? Can't see that many people wanting to go between two separate unrelated industrial estates with completely different sets of companies(after all most people usually only have one job so no requirement to visit other companies).

Does this then mean we also need to link up all the other random industrial estates around the city for the very rare occasion someone wants to travel between them? If this is your belief then bus journeys will become very long and unappealing as buses take meandering diversions and either unprofititable or more increased fares, unless you are suggesting 10s of new direct bus routes where traffic gets worse as empty buses plod along between these industrial estates for the rare occasion some wants to travel between HP and Medtronic.

Really? Agree on a walkway but public transport? Can't see that many people wanting to go between two separate unrelated industrial estates with completely different sets of companies(after all most people usually only have one job so no requirement to visit other companies).

Does this then mean we also need to link up all the other random industrial estates around the city for the very rare occasion someone wants to travel between them? If this is your belief then bus journeys will become very long and unappealing as buses take meandering diversions and either unprofititable or more increased fares, unless you are suggesting 10s of new direct bus routes where traffic gets worse as empty buses plod along between these industrial estates for the rare occasion some wants to travel between HP and Medtronic.

Nope your missing the point here. Its for public transport options that would be direct from the City Centre via the two Business/Industrial estates in question. Look at a map - it is far more direct if bus services were provided on a dedicated route. Would also be an additional facility for the Galway Races during the race meetings
    As an example you could extend the #405 route to service both Business/Industrial estates. Would also benefit cycling as would have more direct route to Parkmore from the City Side.

Nope your missing the point here. Its for public transport options that would be direct from the City Centre via the two Business/Industrial estates in question. Look at a map - it is far more direct if bus services were provided on a dedicated route. Would also be an additional facility for the Galway Races during the race meetings
    As an example you could extend the #405 route to service both Business/Industrial estates. Would also benefit cycling as would have more direct route to Parkmore from the City Side.

Very unlikely to happen though, because public transport services don't like going along road like dual-carriageways which don't have potential passengers on them.

One of the reasons route 409 is so successful is that it links Wellpark, the Bons, GMIT, Merlin park residential, Roscam, Doughiska, Briarhill and Parkmore. Lots of people don't travel the entire distance, just a chunk of it.

In theory, a direct Knocknacarra - Merve Industrial - Ballybrit Industrial- Parkmore service would be useful for workers who don't use public transport at the moment 'cos it's so inconvenient. But there's no in-between passengers, so most bus companies scare of the idea of trying to grow something like that.

Very unlikely to happen though, because public transport services don't like going along road like dual-carriageways which don't have potential passengers on them.
    I cannot find were I wrote this about a dual-carriageway? I am talking about a standard road been built linking Ballybrit /Industrial Business to Parkmore West for use by buses. The #405 route could then extend. Would need to increase no of services but it would work

FYI - New road been built opposite the NDLS office which will be a secondary exit and entrance for the HP Office Complex.

• Advertisement

I cannot find were I wrote this about a dual-carriageway? I am talking about a standard road been built linking Ballybrit /Industrial Business to Parkmore West for use by buses. The #405 route could then extend. Would need to increase no of services but it would work.

Ahh, but I wrote "like dual-carriageways which don't have potential passengers on them."

Even if they extended the slip road to connect to Parkmore, it still wouldn't have houses/businesses in the middle.

Ahh, but I wrote "like dual-carriageways which don't have potential passengers on them."

Even if they extended the slip road to connect to Parkmore, it still wouldn't have houses/businesses in the middle.

No need to extend any slip road?
    Maybe look at aerial photo on google maps. All one would be doing is connecting the business areas together with a dedicated public transport corridor to the North West of the Racecourse.The passengers will be coming from the City.

(similar idea is actually included in plans for the GCOB but will be a regular road from the N6 Expressway website)
    http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/GCOB-SK-D-098-N84-to-Ballybrit-Option-B-Overall.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Academic point, but you could head out the Parkmore road, down the hill, left onto the Tuam road, left up into Ballybane across from Monaghan's, left at the T junction into Ballybrit Business Park and then out the slip road to the NDLS place. Ya know, if ya wanted to...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Academic point, but you could head out the Parkmore road, down the hill, left onto the Tuam road, left up into Ballybane across from Monaghan's, left at the T junction into Ballybrit Business Park and then out the slip road to the NDLS place. Ya know, if ya wanted to...

you could, but that is a longer route again :)

thats a long walk. hard shoulders on Tuam Rd are in poor shape(and unlit) to be walking on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Like I said, academic point, it is possible to get from one area to the other without using bothar na dtreabh, but it would be incredibly pointless unless you wanted to pick up your undelivered parcel at an post. No one mentioned walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP mentioned "via car" but I guess we're beyond that now, as it's not really possible.

biko wrote: »
    OP mentioned "via car" but I guess we're beyond that now, as it's not really possible.

Ironically, by car the Tuam Rd route mentioned recently is probably the quickest one for the Parkmore to Ballybrit direction journey. Will be even quicker once the new exit opens.

Advertisement