Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke alarms (nym-j)

Options
  • 27-04-2016 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Do smoke alarms have to be wired in nym-j in domestic use...cant see the difference between using that an t&e?? Sparks mentioned it when i asked him??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Robbie1985 wrote: »
    Do smoke alarms have to be wired in nym-j in domestic use...cant see the difference between using that an t&e?? Sparks mentioned it when i asked him??

Did he suggest 4 core nymj? So you've a proper Earth at each alarm? And one wire for the data link?

It's not recommended to use the earth in the t&e as the data link. Would it work yes, but not the best practice

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Robbie1985

No he has used 5 core..said he cant use 4 core..no earth in 4 core nym, only phase colours as he said..against rules..jus seemed a waste of cable to me,t&e + single cable for link??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Robbie1985

Sorry think he said blue not earth??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Robbie1985 wrote: »
    No he has used 5 core..said he cant use 4 core..no earth in 4 core nym, only phase colours as he said..against rules..jus seemed a waste of cable to me,t&e + single cable for link??

Yea it is a lot of cable alright. You can just run a single 1.5mm lighting cable as the link wire too and just use 1.5 T&E for the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yea it is a lot of cable alright. You can just run a single 1.5mm lighting cable as the link wire too and just use 1.5 T&E for the power.

Thats what I do 1.5 t&e and a single 1.5 pvc/pvc. Using nymj seems like a waste of money and probably effort as its probably harder to work a pair of nym's hanging out of a ceiling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

salmocab wrote: »
    Thats what I do 1.5 t&e and a single 1.5 pvc/pvc. Using nymj seems like a waste of money and probably effort as its probably harder to work a pair of nym's hanging out of a ceiling

The amount of lads using 4 core flex is amazing
    Personally I use 1.5 t&e & a pvc pvc brown for link

Advertisement