Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of NCSP clamp in Citywest

Options
  • 28-04-2016 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My boyfriends drove up the country to surprise me with a visit last night. He parked his car in the parking lot allocated to my apartment block. We woke up this morning to find out that he had been clamped at 3.53am in the morning. This is clearly someone trying to make a quota and I refuse to pay this rediculous fine. It seems the best way is to cut the chain and replace it but is there a better way that wouldn't damage the clamp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Petroglyph

What kind of lock is on it? Did they give a reason for the clamping? Are the cars there supposed to be registered? Someone was hungry for quotas at 4am!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

There probably isn't any way of removing the clamp without damaging it. While I can understand your anger and wanting to do this, you will leave yourself open to prosecution for the offence of criminal damage if a complaint is made to Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

There probably isn't any way of removing the clamp without damaging it. While I can understand your anger and wanting to do this, you will leave yourself open to prosecution for the offence of criminal damage if a complaint is made to Gardai

There will be no proof as to who removed the clamp from the car. The clamp will be left where it is, all that will be damaged is one link to a chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

If you're in an apartment then it's highly likely that there is cctv in the parking lot. The clampers already know what your car reg is so it's easy enough to pass the relevant details to the gardai.

Is there a clear clamping policy in place? are you supposed to have a permit/ text for parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

It has been heard of for unidentifiable parties wearing baseball caps or similar to remove clamps in communal parking lots...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Hypothetically speaking, one could wear a hoody/cap, cut off the clamp, throw it in the nearest bin and walk away.

The owner could then go back to their car and just drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

otwb1 wrote: »
    If you're in an apartment then it's highly likely that there is cctv in the parking lot. The clampers already know what your car reg is so it's easy enough to pass the relevant details to the gardai.

Is there a clear clamping policy in place? are you supposed to have a permit/ text for parking?

That's what I was wondering too. OP, does your apt building have policy for visitors/non residents parking? Or are there communal spaces that anyone can use? Have you called the clamping company & told them that you are a resident? What did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

He was parked in the wrong place. Pay the fine.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Cut it off. I did years ago with an Ncps clamp and never heard anything back.
    Parked in same spot for years after that too and they never did anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've cut off a few clamps. Cut it and good riddance to it.

Clamping companies are scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Used to be clamping in my estate. Only way you could get clamped was by not having a permit (for non payment of service charges), not registering a visitor by text, having a permit but not displaying it, or parking stupidly (on pavements, blocking other cars etc).

All completely avoidable tbh, but sure, blame the Big Bad Clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marykatem21

I only moved into the complex myself and although I was given a permit for my car I was never told of how to register vistors. He has parked there a before on a one night basis and there has never been a problem before. I thought some sort of warning would be given before being clamped. It's all well in good saying to simply pay the fine but 120 is alot of money to the average person, epesically when you're paying for a car in a relatively empty carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Our management company used NCPS for clamping before and first thing NCPS do is plaster the development in signs.

Plus if you have a parking permit yourself, surely you then realize it's controlled parking and your boyfriend hasn't got a permit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Despite new legislation coming into effect at the start of 2015 clamping on private ground is still legal in Ireland.

The release fees have however been capped at €100 & the relocation fees capped at €50 (if you’re about to wage war on an unscrupulous private clamping company be sure of your facts and read the full Vehicle Clamping Act 2015)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/13/enacted/en/pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That act was never commenced

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I only moved into the complex myself and although I was given a permit for my car I was never told of how to register vistors. He has parked there a before on a one night basis and there has never been a problem before. I thought some sort of warning would be given before being clamped. It's all well in good saying to simply pay the fine but 120 is alot of money to the average person, epesically when you're paying for a car in a relatively empty carpark.

Did it not occur to you to ask, especially as you knew you have a car owning visitor who would be staying over? When you moved in, your landlord sorted out your parking situation, as you were the tenant. It would have been nice if your landlord explained the visitor policy to you, when you moved in. But on the other hand, it's not unreasonable to expect you to make your own enquiries, on what people who don't live there, are supposed to do with their cars.

Advertisement