Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for Adventure Races

Options
  • 28-04-2016 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    apologies for another bike recommendations but know nothing about bikes, due to a running injury, i want to lower the mileage on the roads & take up a bit of biking.
    I've never done any adventure races but hoping to get into it, can someone recommend me a roadbike that would be suitable?
    i don't intend on doing much off road stuff but i want a bike that i can cycle to work, (13 Miles) & also take on on a sea2summit for instance,
    willing to pay around 900 max

any recommendations much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

jfh wrote: »
    HI all,
    apologies for another bike recommendations but know nothing about bikes, due to a running injury, i want to lower the mileage on the roads & take up a bit of biking.
    I've never done any adventure races but hoping to get into it, can someone recommend me a roadbike that would be suitable?
    i don't intend on doing much off road stuff but i want a bike that i can cycle to work, (13 Miles) & also take on on a sea2summit for instance,
    willing to pay around 900 max

any recommendations much appreciated.

Assuming you mean to do the one day multisport races (such as sea2summit) a standard road bike with drop bars is perfect. As the courses can be hilly try to get a compact groupset.
    For €900 you will get an excellent second hand road bike or going via bike to work you can essentially get a €1400 brand new bike when you factor in the tax rebate (at the higher rate)
    Multi-day adventure races require generally require mountain bikes.

http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/kestrel-talon-full-carbon-road-bike/10093154 is €900 with very good components. The groupset is an older generation and does not have a compact (50:34) but functions perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭jfh

appreciate the reply Peterx, you give some good advise on the hill running down through the years too, suffering from HHT so cant run up hills like i used to before but would like to get into the adventure running scene.

I'll probably go with the bike to work scheme, any thoughts on a boardman cx from halfords?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

jfh wrote: »
    appreciate the reply Peterx, you give some good advise on the hill running down through the years too, suffering from HHT so cant run up hills like i used to before but would like to get into the adventure running scene.

I'll probably go with the bike to work scheme, any thoughts on a boardman cx from halfords?

I don't know what HHT is but for the likes of S2S buy a roadbike, it's also perfect for a 13 mile commute to work - which is where it will see 99% of it's usage. Cheers Peter

Advertisement