Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babies measuring small

Options
  • 28-04-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Had my anatomy scan with the twin clinic this morning, all fine thank God. Couldn't measure a few things because of the baba's positioning but no issues showed up.

The only thing is that the ultrasound tech said that they are measuring small for 23weeks, 4 days. I think she said that they are 1lb 1oz each. They had been measuring the same all along but there had been no mention of them being small.

She said that it might just be that they are small babies. She could see that the placentas were well developed and so there shouldn't be a feeding issue.

I have to go to my consultant on Tuesday to follow up. Just wondering if any of you have experienced this and I suppose looking for a little reassurance. I am frightened by this, even though they didn't seem especially concerned in the hospital.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

I may be wrong, but I'd imagine that if there was a concern over it, that they likely would have a doctor discuss the scan with you afterwards. They did with me when they were concerned about amniotic fluid. Said at the time it was nothing to be overly worried about it but something they'd monitor, so maybe its similar for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Sapphire wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I'd imagine that if there was a concern over it, that they likely would have a doctor discuss the scan with you afterwards. They did with me when they were concerned about amniotic fluid. Said at the time it was nothing to be overly worried about it but something they'd monitor, so maybe its similar for you?

Thanks for the reply. The ultrasound woman did say that if she was worried she would be ringing my consultant herself, which made me feel a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The ultrasound people can tell you odd things.They see you as a one-off patient...our latest was measuring 'quite small' at 24 weeks.She then looked at the chart of our previous baby and said 'oh no, maybe not'.What exactly she saw that made her say that...I don't know.No.2 was a healthy 8lb 1oz when born (4 weeks ago)I wouldn't worry too much.I'm not saying sonographer is wrong, just that 'small' is all relative, and you've a long way to go yet, and your consultant sees you more often so knows the whole story.Best mention it to the consultant if you're really worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Went back for the rest of my anatomy scan this morning. All fine with that, thank god, but the twin clinic still concerned that they are measuring small so I will be scanned weekly from here on.

They are 1lb 5oz and 1lb 7 oz, which puts them in the 3rd percentile.

Lots of movement, strong heartbeats, good doplers and no structural issues so they seem to be stressing to me that they don't see any issue but they want to keep an eye on it.

Feel like crying though, so scared that the won't thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

Oh fingers crossed for you and the twins. xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Brokensoul,
    I experienced exactly this on my last pregnancy. I was induced for IUGR and Oligohydraminos and at that time on the scan she was measuring in the 2nd centile. When she was born she was actually much smaller. She weighed only 5.3lbs post dates!
    Her first night was spent in NICU as she was distressed (she was too small and tired for that bloody induction!) and had a low apgar score after birth. They used the IPPV resuscitation and she started breathing easily by herself after a few mins. Her blood sugars were monitored for a few days and aside from the first bumpy 24 hours everything was perfect.
    She thrived from the second I got her back. She's bigger than all her little friends now, is perfectly healthy and is the happiest little girl you could meet.
    It was all very scary but it is so, so common and there is a lot that can be done to help a little baby now.

PS - the midwives told me that the little ones really thrive and this was certainly our experience. When we went to NICU to see her she was so, so tiny but was by far the loudest and most alert. She was next to a baby boy who looked huge next to her but the poor little man was on a ventilator and everything. He took a lot longer to come around than our girl. (he was also fine after a few days :) )

Advertisement