Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 activation issue

• 28-04-2016 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

I purchased a phone last August via a groupon deal from the http://www.viberstore.ie/ in Dublin for my mother.

It was working perfectly until last Wednesday when she went on holidays, She had signal on her phone when turning off the phone for the flight but when she turned it on in Spain it just kept searching for the week over there.

When she came home I powered if off / on and still searching
    Did a reset with the power and home buttons and still searching
    Tried her sim in my phone and its working fine
    Tried my sim into her phone and still searching
    Reset Network settings and still searching
    Tried to download and install latest ios update via the phone and it failed and just said error - update cannot be applied.
    Did full reset of content and settings and on restart it says phone cannot be activated
    Plugged into iTunes and says phone cannot be activated at this time.
    Put into recovery mode and tried a restore but says cannot be activated.

Not under apple warranty so cannot ring them to assist.

Any idea's?

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Worth phoning her network to see if it's been blacklisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

She is with 48 for her network so I have messaged them but I doubt it.

No good with 48, any other idea's ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Could you post a screen-shot of the phone or iTunes with the exact message saying it cannot be activated?

If it can neither activate itself through Wi-Fi/Cellular nor through USB/iTunes, the issue might not be with the hardware (I am also thinking of blacklisting, maybe to rule that out you can drop into a Garda station and/or call Apple to ask if the phone's IMEI isn't on their database of stolen phones ... if yes I assume you can clame compensation from the website you purchased from).

Did another restore now to it with recovery mode via itunes and looking good now with my sim, will try it tonight with my mothers sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bob24 wrote: »
    Could you post a screen-shot of the phone or iTunes with the exact message saying it cannot be activated?

If it can neither activate itself through Wi-Fi/Cellular nor through USB/iTunes, the issue might not be with the hardware (I am also thinking of blacklisting, maybe to rule that out you can drop into a Garda station and/or call Apple to ask if the phone's IMEI isn't on their database of stolen phones ... if yes I assume you can clame compensation from the website you purchased from).

Just curious how you think an iPhone gets activated if it isn't the methods you listed?

guil wrote: »
    Just curious how you think an iPhone gets activated if it isn't the methods you listed?

Not sure I get the question?
    I think the 2 methods I listed are the only ones.

Not sure I get the question?
    I think the 2 methods I listed are the only ones.

You said it can neither be activated on wifi/cellular nor USB/iTunes?

guil wrote: »
    You said it can neither be activated on wifi/cellular nor USB/iTunes?

What I meant is that if neither methods are working, it us unlikely to be a hardware issue but more related to software or blacklisting (since the first method relies on the phone's hardware to connect to the internet and the second one to the computer and it is unlikely both would fail at the same time).

What I meant is that if neither methods are working, it us unlikely to be a hardware issue but more related to software or blacklisting (since the first method relies on the phone's hardware to connect to the internet and the second one to the computer and it is unlikely both would fail at the same time).
    Ah crap sorry I missed the if.

• Advertisement

Sorted now, did another restore from iTunes with the phone in recovery mode and it activated then.

Advertisement