Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing tomorrow, house is still fully furnished

Options
  • 28-04-2016 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

We should be closing tomorrow, we have been told that contracts will be signed today and returned to our solicitor tomorrow.
    The vendors house is still fully furnished, if we close tomorrow, we would be looking to move ASAP (i died a little inside typing that) if everything goes to plan and we close and house is still fully furnished, what are our options, the vendor doesn't seem in any hurry to move anything and has declined our offer to buy the contents.

Can we put the contents into storage and bill him, we are willing to give him a weeks leeway to move his stuff but i dont want to be taken advantage of or for him to drag his feet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

hairyslug wrote: »
    We should be closing tomorrow, we have been told that contracts will be signed today and returned to our solicitor tomorrow.
    The vendors house is still fully furnished, if we close tomorrow, we would be looking to move ASAP (i died a little inside typing that) if everything goes to plan and we close and house is still fully furnished, what are our options, the vendor doesn't seem in any hurry to move anything and has declined our offer to buy the contents.

Can we put the contents into storage and bill him, we are willing to give him a weeks leeway to move his stuff but i dont want to be taken advantage of or for him to drag his feet

signing date isn't necessarily the date you can move in on. There would be a date on which the transfer takes place in the contract. Maybe talk to you solicitor about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Closing dates are frequently missed, as this doesn't even sound like a closing date.

In England the convention is (or used to be) to sign contracts and move in on the day - the day you 'exchange' contracts. That's not the convention here. Usually contracts are signed and a date is given, as I say sometimes that date slips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I could be wrong but out approval runs out early next week so does it all need to be completed before this date, or as long as the contracts are signed, the bank will be happy

Your solicitor should be advising about all of this. Where are they in this?

You may need an extension from the bank, such extensions are usually forthcoming once contracts are signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

The house still isn't yours, you sign the contracts and then decide on a closing date
    I think it's prudent for him to wait until the contract are exchanged to move his furniture and belongings.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Just to follow up on this, contracts have been exchanged, monies drawn down and everyone is happy in that regard.

The money was drawn down on Friday, our mortgage application expires tomorrow. We have a closing date on Friday 13th.

Our Ts and Cs for the mortgage stated that drawdown had to happen within 3 months (all ok there) but as we will finally close 9 days after expiration, should we expect any issues from the bank or since we have signed and drawn down its just a matter of them saying its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Hi,

Just to follow up on this, contracts have been exchanged, monies drawn down and everyone is happy in that regard.

The money was drawn down on Friday, our mortgage application expires tomorrow. We have a closing date on Friday 13th.

Our Ts and Cs for the mortgage stated that drawdown had to happen within 3 months (all ok there) but as we will finally close 9 days after expiration, should we expect any issues from the bank or since we have signed and drawn down its just a matter of them saying its ok.
    If your solicitor already has the mortgage monies then you will be fine. Your mortgage has commenced so technically you're paying a loan on property you cannot yet occupy.

Uriel. wrote: »
    If your solicitor already has the mortgage monies then you will be fine. Your mortgage has commenced so technically you're paying a loan on property you cannot yet occupy.

Happily resting in his/her account :pac:

This isn't uncommon but if it goes on too long the solicitor will have no doubt given an undertaking to transfer it back. Again they really should have explained all this.

Ah it was explained, I just like other opinions, this is a completely new game to me, one I hope not to have to play again for some time.
    Our solicitor has been very good, we however have not listened to all of his advice.

Is 9 days from end of mortgage approval to closing considered long or does it come down to who our solicitor gets talking to

Ah it was explained, I just like other opinions, this is a completely new game to me, one I hope not to have to play again for some time.
    Our solicitor has been very good, we however have not listened to all of his advice.

Is 9 days from end of mortgage approval to closing considered long or does it come down to who our solicitor gets talking to

Your solicitor will let you know if there's an issue. I wouldn't be worried unless they've asked for an action on your behalf. As has been said above the solicitor has the money so your mortgage has officially started it'll take some issue for that to change at the moment get packing and best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement