Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Licence

Options
  • 28-04-2016 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi lads
    Just about to fill out a FCA for one of my lads to allow him to use one of my shot guns.
    Questions are on the FCA it says source of firearm, what do i write in here as Im still the owner and always will be.
    Proof of competence, i was going to write training cert applied for so will be taught safe firearms handling by my father, would this be sufficient?
    Rounds of ammo, as its already licence to me and I can have 500 cartridges what do I put in here?.
    Permissions, do I need to get separate permission letters for him or can I write shooting on land which my father has permission on ?.
    Any help much appriciated
    Mike

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I only done this recently for my young lad. Here is what i done.
    galwaymike wrote: »
    Questions are on the FCA it says source of firearm, what do i write in here as Im still the owner and always will be.
    I left section 3.3 "Source of Firearm" blank, and on a separate sheet of paper explained that as its a training cert he;lkl be using my firearm. I then provided a copy of my license.
    Proof of competence, i was going to write training cert applied for so will be taught safe firearms handling by my father, would this be sufficient?
    Leave it blank. There is no proof of competence needed. That is what the training certificate is for. To ask a young seeking a training license for proof of competence is like asking someone that has never driven to get a full driving license before they can take lessons.
    Rounds of ammo, as its already licence to me and I can have 500 cartridges what do I put in here?.
    500. This training license will be a duplicate of yours (to a degree). It'll only last as long as your current license, and will have pretty much the same details in terms of ammo, etc.
    Permissions, do I need to get separate permission letters for him or can I write shooting on land which my father has permission on ?.
    You don't actually need any for him as he can only use the gun in your presence and under your supervision. However to be safe include your permissions or leave it blank and on the separate sheet of paper just write in that he'll be using the firearm on your permissions.

My young lad got his training cert on my hmr. Because i have permissions, and a member of a range i put down hunting and target shooting. When his license came out it was identical to mine. He has 1,000 rounds ammo limit, and has the "S" for the silencer.

The reason for this is as its a training cert and i'm licensed on the rifle with 1000 rounds and the "S" in order for the young lad to be able to shoot the firearm he must have the same authorisation to use my gun as i have it.

Hence why i said above that his license will almost be a duplicate of yours.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 17 galwaymike

Cass
    Your a font of all knowledge
    Many thanks for your help
    Mike

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The "FO" at my local station was being unreasonable. He wanted my young lad to have a competency course, safety course, and told me he'd never get the license for the suppressor (on my rifle), etc. HE held up the application for 4 months arguing with me until i eventually went down, took back the application and sent it directly to the main station (which i use from now on).

The Super wanted to meet myself and the young lad so we went in. The Super asked a few questions of the kid, told him how much of a responsibility it was to be given a gun license at 14, but was happy with the whole thing. When i asked the Super if he was going to require a competency course he said " Why would you, it would defeat the purpose of the training certificate". So always nice to meet a Super that is reasonable and knows his stuff.

Now when he turns 16 he can go for his full license and use the last two years as competence.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement