Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI Vote on Croke park hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

So what if they are, if they don't run in September then they don't run. Its not like all of these teachers are doing hours and hours of onerous planning for it.
    Well, I think it is an issue! It's not unreasonable at this stage of the year to wonder what date I'm back to work. I'd like to book holidays, and having 2 CP days or no CP days makes a huge difference to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Well, I think it is an issue! It's not unreasonable at this stage of the year to wonder what date I'm back to work. I'd like to book holidays, and having 2 CP days or no CP days makes a huge difference to me.

We are TUI and have designed dual calendars, one with and one without croke park. Both have the same start day

The TUI executive very clearly explained their course of action at congress. Their was an attempt by the Dublin branches in particular to try and change the course of action being taken by the union through an emergency motion heard on the last day, but this was defeated.
    Friend/Delegate told me it was discussed briefly but there was more discussion on phones messages and emails and when to answer them than there was on really pressing issues.

The TUI have been playing their cards close to their chest...
    That's for sure.
    As it stands we too are not doing croke park hours as we have rejected the LRA just like the ASTI. I don't see why they are even voting on this single issue, as they have by rejecting LRA essentially rejected croke park hours already.
    Supposedly it's legal advice that they should at least put it to their members. Either which way TUI need to explicitly state that CP is gone for now, end of.
    The TUI executive told us at congress if they get a deal worthy of accepting they will recommend it (including something on croke park hours, posts, pay equality and casualisaton) and if its not then they'll recommend that we reject it.
    I'll be shocked if they make a recommendation at this stage, unless of course it's recommending that we accept whatever tuppence the DES offers. Really hope I'm wrong but imo it'll either be recommend a YES or sit on the fence and tell us to make up our own minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Leaving aside the secondary system, what is the position of 3Rd level/FE members in the TUI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

TUI going to recommend acceptance of a document that's come about following discussions between the DES and TUI. Link to document below:

http://www.tui.ie/_fileupload/Final%20TUI%20DES%20document%20090516.pdf

So ASTI shafted again by TUI. I love the last line of the document in particular:

4. NEW ENTRANT TEACHER PAY
    New Entrant Teacher Pay
    The teacher unions including TUI have identified the issue of new entrant pay as being a critical
    priority. The Departments stated that this is a public service-wide issue and accordingly cannot
    be addressed within the scope of these discussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

TUI going to recommend acceptance of a document that's come about following discussions between the DES and TUI. Link to document below:

So ASTI shafted again by TUI. I love the last line of the document in particular:

New Entrant Teacher Pay
    The teacher unions including TUI have identified the issue of new entrant pay as being a critical
    priority. The Departments stated that this is a public service-wide issue and accordingly cannot

LOL thanks a lot TUI - yet again. It's going to get very interesting in C&C schools where there are members of both unions if we reject the CP hours in this vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

sitstill wrote: »
    LOL thanks a lot TUI - yet again. It's going to get very interesting in C&C schools where there are members of both unions if we reject the CP hours in this vote.

Flipping fantastic timing as well !
    That document is a pile of manure
    From 2017/18 school year ........as if any of those promised will be kept
    Will they ever learn

Why are CP hours even in it though? We've only agreed to do them until end June, LR rejected so CP hours gone.

I don't get it.

(No way In F*CK am I voting Yes to this pile of ****e).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Did anyne see the candidates for tui president? Like the idea of the grass roots protest guy regarding fempi

New Entrant Teacher Pay

What a crock of s**t, we were promised loads when hra ended and now nothing but extend the promises......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

(No way In F*CK am I voting Yes to this pile of ****e).

This could be a facepalm moment on my behalf (and if it is I'm sorry)

By voting yes to the ASTI ballot you are agreeing to let union direct members to withdraw from CP hrs etc? e.g.: are most posted on this thread not advocating a yes vote to the latest ASTI ballot, I know I'm in that camp anyway.

unless you are talking about voting not voting yes to some TUI vote?

I think he means no to TUI agreement

I'm bloody livid with the TUI that document is a complete ****ing cop out. Will be at our branch meeting this week. So annoyed. ASTI are planning to challenge FEMPI and the TUI roll over??! WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

I remember when the asti was thought to be more moderate!!!! that TUI document is hard to believe/understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm gobsmacked at that TUI document. There's absolutely nothing in it but promises of "looking into" things in the future.

Nothing new on part time contracts, just reiterating the Ward Report which has failed to address the core issues.

Nothing on the new pay scale.

Nothing concrete on POR, just the promise of a review.

Nothing meaningful on CP hours, another promise of a review.

How could they think that this piece of rubbish is worth recommending?! And what did they actually do with all the hours they supposedly spent talking. What happened to the strike we voted for! I'm livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 underdog2005

I'm TUI, can not believe they are recommending that so called agreement... load of rubbish, we will review this review that.. etc . Can not see members accepting it and fair play to ASTI for standing up for our terms and conditions, I hope TUI members reject this and we will all be in the one boat come September. Are the TUI head office working in our best interests... seems like they like pleasing the department and government rather than their members. We have already rejected the LRA and here's to rejecting it again.

Guys, we just have to canvass strongly for a no on this. I'm so sick to the jaw teeth of TUI, I feel like I'm back where I was 2 years ago, nothing has changed, they're a crowd of F***wits.

Basically, get on FB, get on Twitter, get on to everybody in your staffroom, we should given an emphatic no to this pile of ****e and basically cancel our membership if it is passed.

I'm not sure who exactly the exec are representing, but it sure as hell isn't me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm gobsmacked at that TUI document. There's absolutely nothing in it but promises of "looking into" things in the future.

Nothing new on part time contracts, just reiterating the Ward Report which has failed to address the core issues.

Nothing on the new pay scale.

Nothing concrete on POR, just the promise of a review.

Nothing meaningful on CP hours, another promise of a review.

How could they think that this piece of rubbish is worth recommending?! And what did they actually do with all the hours they supposedly spent talking. What happened to the strike we voted for! I'm livid.

If people actually take the time to read into it and work out as you have that's it's an absolute farce it may actually strengthen the YES campaign for Asti
    It's effectively just kicking all the promises down the road again
    At which time there will be another agreement demanding more work for said promises
    Until the end of time !

amacca wrote: »
    This could be a facepalm moment on my behalf (and if it is I'm sorry)

By voting yes to the ASTI ballot you are agreeing to let union direct members to withdraw from CP hrs etc? e.g.: are most posted on this thread not advocating a yes vote to the latest ASTI ballot, I know I'm in that camp anyway.

unless you are talking about voting not voting yes to some TUI vote?
    Sorry guys, am so incensed here I'm not posting fully, I'm voting a bit fat FCUK off, NO WAY IN HELL to the TUI proposal.

I've been ranting for weeks now that this is what they would do, a big pile of promises thrown in together, nothing concrete and a yes recommendation for us.

They may as well just sign up for Government because they're not speaking for any TUI member that I know.

How do we even start to get a media campaign going to fight this. So many members/sheep just vote with the recommendation without bothering to read the fine print.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 underdog2005

This document can only help the ASTI to reject the Croke Park hours... ASTI are standing up for teachers while the TUI tried the nice route, going to talks with the department and this is the best they could come up with.. ASTI head office must be delighted. Sick to the teeth now of TUI being to soft and recommending acceptance of agreement after agreement even when us members keep voting no. I will be looking for the ASTI application form if this is passed by TUI members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I feel for you guys in TUI and it makes me very thankful to be in ASTI. It wasn't always the case but there have been a few important personnel changes over the past while and there seems to be new life in our old dog. We would also have the more militant CEC and I suppose the fact that ASTI is second level teachers only makes a big difference. But way,way back,in my late father's day,TUI were the militant ones so how times have changed!

Best of luck with the campaign for a no. With enough unity and determination I think you'll get it over the line. Nobody with a shred of cop on would buy the crap that's in that document. And hopefully it strengthens our hand in calling for a yes with any skittish ASTI members still to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

2 ballots from 2 different unions, members of one Union have to vote yes while the likeminded members of the other union have to vote no for the same thing.

You could not make this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Be aware FEMPI comes up for renewal June 10th. Contact your local TD on this issue

My local branch meeting has the general secretary in attendance as guest speaker apparently. I plan on being there

Where can I find list of dates for branch meetings mirrorwall?

I've no idea TBH, I get the school emails from the TUI

Best kept secret! I'm hoping ours will be anarchy with everybody turning up to have their say!

Best kept secret! I'm hoping ours will be anarchy with everybody turning up to have their say!

Actually just found our branch has a Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Had our branch meeting this evening. Junior cert the main focus, with a couple pro but most steadfastly against. Everyone agreed ASTI not doing enough to challenge lousy press we're getting. A few unhappy NQTs also, but think by the end, it was FEMPI they were annoyed with, and not the union anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Everyone agreed ASTI not doing enough to challenge lousy press we're getting.

What do you mean by the above?

Advertisement