Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU upgrade recommendation

Options
  • 28-04-2016 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need to finally upgrade my 1GB HD5870 GPU on my 1 year old rig. The newer games have finally made it obsolete. It'll be used for most modern games played at 1080p on a 60Hz monitor.

Looking for recommendations and any potential bargains or good sites to buy from. I'll also have to upgrade my 450w power supply unit.

I'm not looking at anything too expensive, around €400 or so for both the GPU and PSU would be the budget. The R9 380x is about £200 on Amazon so that's the kind of thing I'm looking for, along with a decent compatible modular PSU, but I don't want anything overkill for my build:

Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Core i5 4460 (Haswell 3.2GHz)
    RAM: GSkill RipjawsX 8GB PC3-12800 1600MHz (8-8-8-24)

Anyone have any recommendations? Also open to good second hand versions if there are decent ones available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The 380X is a great choice. I think you may even get by with the 450W PSU if it is of good quality. Otherwise, a EVGA/Corsair or some other known brand at about 550W will do you just fine. Remember to double check that the PSU has the required PCI-E cables to power the card (6 and/or 8pin x2). Keep an eye on adverts for the GPU but I'd probably go new just for the warranty and peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

There are ment to be new gpus coming June.. I'd hold out. Even if you don't get one of the new ones may pick up a better spec one from someone upgrading.

In this case, I think it's worth just upgrading. We've been talking about these new mythical GPUs but still no word on actual hardware yet. It's only worth waiting if you aren't in actual need of an upgrade right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The first batch of GPUs is imminent and coming out in the mid range. The new AMD range is supposed to offer 390 performance for the 380 price point. I'd hold off unless you see a good secondhand 290 on adverts sub €200 and you're willing to put up with a bit of noise!

Also if you do hold off you'll probably find the 450w will be fine as the new ranges are supposed to be super-dooper efficient. Appently we give a fook about that now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Thanks for the advice guys. I did a bit of reading about the Polaris chips there and it all sounds great. The obstacle here is that I'm getting married in July and trying to convince the missus of my spending about €300 on a GPU at that time will be a hard sell :pac:

I was happy enough playing games on low-medium settings but Dark Souls 3 is my drug of choice right now and because of poor optimization of the game in combination with my old GPU I'm struggling to run it on the lowest settings.

I'm thinking the 380x might be the best option right now and take a hit on it if I decide to upgrade next year. A bit of extra power consumption and noise is a non-issue for me to be honest. My case is very quiet anyway and dulls a lot of sound.

Any recommendations of where to buy for the best price?

• Advertisement

It probably is Amazon for best price. Do give overclockers.co.uk a look too. I've heard good things about their customer service in the event that anything goes wrong. It won't be the lowest price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

How about a 970 instead?
    It would run nicely with 450w psu which would save you some money and its a top notch card for what your looking to do, 60hz 1080p. The 3.5gb ram onboard issue would not be a factor in your case.
    You should start to see price drops or folks trying to sell theirs off in anticipation of the newer GPU's soon.
    Or you might see a bargain on a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

+1 on Redfox

I think you can get away with sticking with the 450w PSU and going with a more power efficient card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For a stopgap you can get something like a HD7970 for about €120 these days. Still a good card. Similar to a 280X or 380 non-X. And you should get about €40-50 back for the 5870.

Advertisement