Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT - Retest or wait until a full test is required?

• 28-04-2016 11:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33

Hi all,

My car has been failed on something that has always gone unnoticed before. I think the tester has been too fussy as the slight deformation in a length of box section forming part of the chassis could not possibly weaken the chassis or put anything out of alignment.

So, if I wait until a full test is required, is it likely that a different tester would let it go or will the issue still be flagged when my records are accessed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I could be wrong but if its a new test I dont think they look at previous failure modes. - This would require a huge database and extra effort.

Its supposed to be a test of your car on the day, unless its a re-test.

The only thing that might catch you is if the car comes up as not passing the last test, then you might be snookered...

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Im pretty sure they wont check your records to see what it failed on the last time so you could be lucky and the next tester may pass you.

However, surely they would have it on record that you attempted a test and failed it. In that case, its a high chance they will check whatever you failed on previously because you haven't got it rectified since.

Why did you get a test if your nct wasn't due? Im confused as to why your asking should you wait until a full test is required? Surely its due now because you already attempted and failed in the last test and therefore have no valid NCT at the moment. Or am I just really confused?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 The Drunken Clam

I had it tested just before the previous certificate's expiry date and there were about 5 issues.

I've fixed 4 issues (all but the one I mentioned at the top of the thread) but I'm cautious about going back for a retest within the alloted timeframe because I'm hoping they'll forget issue No.5 if I wait longer and go for a full test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd be inclined to let retest period pass then go to a new test centre.

mickdw wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to let retest period pass then go to a new test centre.

Good point! I'll definitely try a different centre.

In case anyone thinks I'm being reckless, there isn't a safety issue at all - just a section of metal with a very shallow indentation (no impact, no corrosion, no fatigue, no cracks) which has probably been there since the car was built.

• Advertisement

Ok I understand now. Yeah maybe get the full test done again. But have you priced how much it would cost to fix? Just bare in mind the test is €70 and you may fail again over the same thing.

I agree they fail you over ridiculous things. I have three lights over my rear reg. One of them was gone (and you could still quite clearly see my reg) and they failed me. Why having one light bulb (out of three) makes my car "unsafe to drive" on the roads, I will never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Good point! I'll definitely try a different centre.

In case anyone thinks I'm being reckless, there isn't a safety issue at all - just a section of metal with a very shallow indentation (no impact, no corrosion, no fatigue, no cracks) which has probably been there since the car was built.

Could you not just get it pulled out with a slide hammer or similar??
    Might cost €50-€100, but could save you a lot of bother

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Ashbx wrote: »
    I agree they fail you over ridiculous things. I have three lights over my rear reg. One of them was gone (and you could still quite clearly see my reg) and they failed me. Why having one light bulb (out of three) makes my car "unsafe to drive" on the roads, I will never know!

You didn't just fail on a number plate light. Number plate light is an advisory item, not a fail refusal. Was it not a tail light by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

Ashbx wrote: »
    Ok I understand now. Yeah maybe get the full test done again. But have you priced how much it would cost to fix? Just bare in mind the test is €70 and you may fail again over the same thing.

€55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

OP, how far out is the next test due I think is the question, but then, would it not be recorded that it failed the last test?

On another note regarding pedantry, I put a car through the NCT recently and it failed supposedly for corrosion, the corrosion was under the chassis but it was absolutely negligible and they called it advanced corrosion, which was way over the top, this was actually a couple of flakes. A mechanic we use had looked at it prior to this as some other work was done on the car prior to NCT'ing and he never passed any remark on it or even noticed it, even upon looking myself initially, I could not even locate the problem as it was so insignificant. Following up with the mechanic, his opinion was they were being exceptionally particular and I agree with him.

The NCT said a section had to be cut out and a new section welded in, even the welder said it was a joke.
    Ive had a similar issue in relation to NCT claiming there was corrosion on a brake line which was a surface deterioration but not bad, could be rubbed off with wet and dry paper and lightly sprayed to remedy.

In that instance they insisted the brake line be replaced, the brakes have never been as good as they were before, so breaking open lines/parts or cutting out sections worsens and deteriorates things more (and more rapidly) in my view so that in the short and long term, you can worsen a car by doing some things, especially when they are not necessary,
    but of course it justifies their existence, and while I think its better that they are around as some people would drive absolute crocks otherwise, in lently of instances they are making decisions which benefits them by getting a retest fee for work which is questionable.

Ive another relative to assist with an NCT and while a pair of tyres are to be replaced and appear just at the wear limit, measuring them gives 1.88mm, Im waiting for them to highlight/fail it and pop out with my mitutyo verneir depth gauge.

• Advertisement

Cosmo K wrote: »
    You didn't just fail on a number plate light. Number plate light is an advisory item, not a fail refusal. Was it not a tail light by any chance?

You're right I didn't just fail on that. It was my light over my reg that was gone but I also had a small crack on my tail light and they failed me over those two.

Just to say though, the tail light was fixed by putting some tape over the crack.....which the tester told me to do! He said if it was a chip, id have to replace the cover but because its just a crack, some tape the same colour would do. So a bit of tape and replacement bulb was all I had to do! Again, don't see how either of those issues don't make my car road worthy...and how does a bit of tape make it worthy again.

Could you not just get it pulled out with a slide hammer or similar??
    Might cost €50-€100, but could save you a lot of bother

I reckon there would be too much stripping down needed to get at it and honestly, it's not something that any sensible person would ever consider necessary. I'll post again with the proper component description when I know what it's called but it's not the sills.

UPDATE:

I waited until another full test was required, fixed all the easy things and removed the white paint from the "deformed" section that I thought might simply be an unusual contour and not the result of any kind of impact

The car passed and there seemed to have been no record made of the reasons for the failure last time around

Same centre but different tester - maybe the first guy was just too fussy

So, waiting until another full test is required seems to be a way of getting a second opinion

Advertisement