Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are landlords selling up ?

Options
  • 28-04-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

Theres been alot said about Landlords selling up. I noticed alot more pre 63 properties going up for sale in Dublin. Is this the start of profit taking ? Or is there issues coming for the multi house split I. E. Pre 63s

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Some of us have been creeping out of neg equity and want to get the hell out of dodge given the monumental pain in the arse it is to be a landlord in Ireland.

I'm on a tracker and if I look at what I'm losing vs. having the much lower accom costs and security for the ten years I was in the gaffe I can rationalise taking an absolute shafting on buying at the height of the boom... just... if I squint a bit and look at it sideways. I also have a few quid to pay off my current mortgage in the new house or extend etc.

Anecdotal but it's boards :pac:

Might aswell give you some figures:

Bought at 295K , 190K left on mortgage, property now at around €200K maybe a little more/less. If the property hits €250K before apartments crash again I'll be dancing all the way to the estate agent!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

rossmores, if you can't be civil please do not post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If they can. My parents are looking to sell the house we live in now. They bought it at 650K, its valued at around 500K. if they could get 550 we would sell it.

I suppose my parents are lucky that they have two other rented houses that pay the mortgage, and sold on in 2008 a few months before the crash which cleared a lot of the mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm 99% certain that the property we're sale agreed on was being rented and almost all of the properties we looked at were rentals rather than privately owned homes. That might just be at the end of the market we could afford in North County Dublin (220 - 250k) but it would certainly seem to me that many landlords are cashing out alright. Quite understandable when you read a lot of the issues landlords have on this forum...

• Advertisement

A lot of people are waiting until they can cover the outstanding mortgage and fees in the achievable sale price alright. This element will be glad to walk away as long as they're left with no debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm 99% certain that the property we're sale agreed on was being rented and almost all of the properties we looked at were rentals rather than privately owned homes. That might just be at the end of the market we could afford in North County Dublin (220 - 250k) but it would certainly seem to me that many landlords are cashing out alright. Quite understandable when you read a lot of the issues landlords have on this forum...

That's interesting. I wondered if it was the pre 63 s been sold for some reason

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We see tonnes of ex-rentals in the ads we are trawling through. Some pre-63 stuff but mainly boom investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We're accidental landlords and will (would) cash out once prices rebound a bit more. We're on our second tenants since 2008 both have been absolutely brilliant tenants but we have just no interest in the whole rubbish that goes along with it.
    How anyone who bought as investments thought there would be profit in renting is beyond me. Fine if you had 20 profitable lets and it was your full time job. But I've no interest to be home from a long days work to get a call that the boiler isn't starting up.

First chance and were out !

Near us the numbers of rentals has crashed. We didn't advertise when our first tenants moved out, we had maybe five families asking could they rent next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭indie warrior

I have one property rented with ras, same tenants for last 8 years, no hassle with them at all and rent paid into my account every month which just covers the mortgage. The problem is paying almost 52% tax on the full rental income, absolutely killing us and not sustainable ( there is only so much you can write off) so yes will sell when we come out of negativity

The mood on here is to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

No profit taking to be had in the pre 63 muti occupancy units, as a general rule, the condition of some will be worse than others.

2-3 years ago a place went up for sales in Drumcondra that was split in 5 one bed units pre 63. Some time between that development and when it went up for sales possible in dribs and drabs, 5 units became 14. When you are dealing with a property like that, it is not economically viable to bring it up to code by any mean and can't be change internally other than returning to original build even then, it is a massive untertaking.

No profit taking to be had in the pre 63 muti occupancy units, as a general rule, the condition of some will be worse than others.

2-3 years ago a place went up for sales in Drumcondra that was split in 5 one bed units pre 63. Some time between that development and when it went up for sales possible in dribs and drabs, 5 units became 14. When you are dealing with a property like that, it is not economically viable to bring it up to code by any mean and can't be change internally other than returning to original build even then, it is a massive untertaking.

I thought pre 63 s were exempt from planning and you can do what you want with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

_Brian wrote: »
    How anyone who bought as investments thought there would be profit in renting is beyond me.

I always thought the point was the rent paid the mortgage and you basically got free property. Even if it doesn't quite cover it you end up owning something after only paying a fairly nominal portion of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Accidental landlord here ... As soon as it came out of NE and surplus covered legal fees and a decent family holiday I bailed.

Even though the rent was approx 130% of the mortgage payment it wasn't worth it due to the hassle, risk of dodgy tenants, tax etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

psinno wrote: »
    I always thought the point was the rent paid the mortgage and you basically got free property. Even if it doesn't quite cover it you end up owning something after only paying a fairly nominal portion of the cost.

In theory that's the way it's meant to work but I'd guesstimate that 50% of Dublin apartments are accidental LL like myself who did stupid things in the boom.

Smart LLs would have already got in at the trough in 2011/2012 (IIRC) and that would be very small numbers as very little property was on sale.

Many of us are waiting to take advantage of the young and stupid :Pac: cos you never lose on property! Small time property investment needs to come to and end for everyone's sake really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I think accidental landlords are likely to charge lower rents because they want to avoid hassle.

Professional landlords are more likely to want to maximise return.

My experience is the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

In short no. Real landlords are in it for life and we make a good living at it. The blow ins from the cheltic tiger era may have to bail because they bought at the wrong time but those of us who do this for a living Will be here for a long time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Gator88 wrote: »
    In short no. Real landlords are in it for life and we make a good living at it. The blow ins from the cheltic tiger era may have to bail because they bought at the wrong time but those of us who do this for a living Will be here for a long time yet

Nobody doubts that ... However I got out as the hassle wasn't worth it and the returns on my time didn't make it worthwhile. My real profession pays much better without the stress

• Advertisement

My experience is the opposite.
    They're fools then, if they're accidental landlords then they're screwed if the tenant decides to muck them around, would take months to sort the situation out and in the meantime how are they going to make their mortgage payments?

Better to get a good tenant and keep them until they can afford to sell up.

A professional landlord with multiple properties, not over leveraged, can afford to ride out any problems like this and so should keep rents at market rates all the time.

psinno wrote: »

The idea is to cover the mortgage and make a profit on top aswell, that would be my plan if I was doing it.

Unfortunately with the crazy taxes this is very difficult to do, having to pay 51% tax on rental profit when also paying a mortgage is madness.

I personally really like the idea of having a property or two rented out on the side, I'd enjoy dealing with it and would hope to make extra money at it.

The idea is to cover the mortgage and make a profit on top aswell, that would be my plan if I was doing it.

Unfortunately with the crazy taxes this is very difficult to do, having to pay 51% tax on rental profit when also paying a mortgage is madness.

I personally really like the idea of having a property or two rented out on the side, I'd enjoy dealing with it and would hope to make extra money at it.

20-30% would be fairer. You may 33% on all other profit from a sale of an investment, why can't that be the fee on profit made during an investment.

20-30% would be fairer. You may 33% on all other profit from a sale of an investment, why can't that be the fee on profit made during an investment.

I personally think the mortgage should all be tax deductible and the tax should only be payable on the actual profit.

I personally think the mortgage should all be tax deductible and the tax should only be payable on the actual profit.

Thats even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Dont forget PRSI / USC and all the other "Taxes" on landlords.
    I know a lot of property investors and at a guess i think about 90% of them are getting out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I thought pre 63 s were exempt from planning and you can do what you want with them?

Pre 63 is shorthand for saying it was split into units before 1October 1964 (yes1964 not 1963). After that date planning law was introduced and splitting up or changing use required permission. I have looked at buying a number of pre 63s. When first sold after 1964 the seller makes a declaration as to how many units were in existence. Basically that's your "proof" that you're not in breach of planning law. One of them said 5, then the next time it was sold it was 7 on the declaration and then 6 when I was looking at it. Basically indicating that there was a planning problem. Most of them were protected structures (ie listed) so there was no 7 year immunity. Caveat emptir!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

They're fools then, if they're accidental landlords then they're screwed if the tenant decides to muck them around, would take months to sort the situation out and in the meantime how are they going to make their mortgage payments?

Better to get a good tenant and keep them until they can afford to sell up.

A professional landlord with multiple properties, not over leveraged, can afford to ride out any problems like this and so should keep rents at market rates all the time.

That's been my experience with single property landlords. Once they can see you are paying the rent every month, sorting out issues yourself as much as possible rather than calling them with silly problems, and not causing any trouble, they tend to keep the rent low so that you stay in their property as long as possible.

It only works if both the landlord and the tenant are decent people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I find It astonishing that 75% of Irish landlords are "accendital" landlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Another accidental LL here. Probably close to being out of negative equity but still at a loss of circa 80k. Won't be selling up until (if) that gap closes. Wouldn't be making any sort of profit. After tax I'm probably covering a little more than the remaining 25% of the interest plus about half the capital repayment.

It's all OK until you get a bad tenant and so far I've been lucky but if things went wrong I doubt I'd ever recover the "investment". Can't wait to get out of it

Advertisement