Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice?, looking to get a router for mobile broadband

Options
  • 28-04-2016 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Looking for a router that i can put a sim card in and use it for home wifi, needs to have ports on the back for a wired connections as well. what type of devices should i be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

@Mods: Move to Midband?

Huawei are king of the roost here. This is the unit many go for. Yes its expensive but it + a PAYG Three sim card works out very well for most people (coverage in your area may vary).

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭orlaithd12

Hi,
    Don't know if you made any decisions since you made this post
    I just bought a Huawei B315, unlocked, from Amazon.
    I also bought a Three Mobile sim ,with AYCE data for €20.
    I've put the sim in the router, and I'm currently getting speeds varying between 15mbs and 40mbs, defending on time of day.
    Before, using Eir home broadband we had. 8 of 1 mb, so this is unreal for us!!!!
    Any questions I'd be happy to help...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

My solution wouldn't be for everyone. I'm using a 4G USB modem* routed thru a laptop to an old ADSL modem. In a 3/4G blackspot but getting 10-35Mbps on 3 AYCE.

*like this but I didn't pay that much
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Huawei-E3372S-LTE-4G-USB-modem-E3372-E3370-E3272-/322095354255?hash=item4afe61118f:g:oqoAAOSwd0BV1GYv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

orlaithd12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Don't know if you made any decisions since you made this post
    I just bought a Huawei B315, unlocked, from Amazon.
    I also bought a Three Mobile sim ,with AYCE data for €20.
    I've put the sim in the router, and I'm currently getting speeds varying between 15mbs and 40mbs, defending on time of day.
    Before, using Eir home broadband we had. 8 of 1 mb, so this is unreal for us!!!!
    Any questions I'd be happy to help...

Surely those speeds aren't always that high?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    My solution wouldn't be for everyone. I'm using a 4G USB modem* routed thru a laptop to an old ADSL modem. In a 3/4G blackspot but getting 10-35Mbps on 3 AYCE.

You don't know the meaning of the word blackspot.

• Advertisement

Surely those speeds aren't always that high?

No, as I said in the post, they vary quite a bit during the day, but I'm extremely happy when you compare to what I was getting on Eir, less than 1 mb!!

No, as I said in the post, they vary quite a bit during the day, but I'm extremely happy when you compare to what I was getting on Eir, less than 1 mb!!

Just did a speedtest now, 22.25 mb.

Just did a speedtest now, 22.25 mb.

If I get 100kbs on 3 I'd say it's flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You don't know the meaning of the word blackspot.

OK, shades of grey. Its listed on the 3 coverage map as "4G outdoor only". I hang an external antenna out the window.

Advertisement