Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL Semi Final 1st leg, Villarreal v Liverpool, BT and Setanta 20:05pm

• 28-04-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭

Match-Preview-Villarreal-vs-Liverpool.png

Jurgen Klopp's side travel to El Madrigal, but the German has not won a UEFA game in Spain before. He will be looking to put that record straight to try and lead Liverpool to the Europa League title in Basel.

The Reds beat Borussia Dortmund in a highly dramatic second leg of the quarter-finals which saw the Merseyside club come from 3-1 down to win 4-3, progressing to the semi-finals 5-4 on aggregate.

Meanwhile, Villarreal head coach Marcelino can boast about his side's very strong home record throughout their Europa League campaign. 'The Yellow Submarine' have won every game in Europe at El Madrigal, conceding just one goal.

In La Liga, Villarreal have performed above expectations and are currently fourth in the league standings. However, they have failed to win their previous three league games.

Team news

Christian Benteke has travelled with Liverpool's squad for their Europa League semi-final first-leg tie in Villarreal.

The Belgium international has not featured for the club since the 3-2 defeat at Southampton on March 20 after sustaining a knee injury training with the international side.

Divock Origi is out for up to six weeks with ankle ligament damage whilst Emre Can (ankle), Joe Gomez (knee), Jordan Henderson (knee) and Danny Ings (knee) are all expected to miss out. Mamadou Sakho will also be missing due to a pending doping investigation.

Marcelino in stark contrast can almost call upon a fully fit squad. Only Leo Baptistao is missing as Jaume Costa and Mateo Mussachio passed late fitness tests.

In form strikers Roberto Soldado and Cedric Bakambu are fit and ready to lead the line and skipper Bruno is set to lead his side out at El Madrigal.

Stats

This will be the first meeting between Villarreal and Liverpool in Europe.

This will be Liverpool's first Europa League semi final since 2010 when a Diego Forlan goal in extra time sent Atletico Madrid through to a final against Fulham.

Villarreal have not won any of their previous 10 meetings against English opponents in Europe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Get out with a goal or two on the score sheet and/or no more than one behind the home side and I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I hope we win.

There, I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

My guess at a starting XI:

Migs
    Clyne Lovren Kolo Moreno
    Lucas Milner Allen
    Lallana Firmino Coutinho

Possibly Sturridge instead of Firmino, but I think Klopp will want both Firmino and Lallana pressing hard from the get go. I don't think Sturridge brings the same level of pressing and tackling that Bobby F does.

It'll be about hard work and the press tonight so Sturridge will probably be sprung from the bench with 20 to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'm going to go with a lo-cal, fat free 1-0 Liverpool win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sakho

Sakho

Sakho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm going for 1-0 to Liverpool

as my prediction for the number of failed drugs tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

mods can you delete this thread as I'm it? :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I think it will be 0-0 draw but I'm hoping for one away goal to put us in the driving seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Pool win to get the momentum going again. Expect lucas to start thos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Going to be one tense game I think....that or some brilliant heart pounding end-to-end stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

http://www.thisisanf...ess-conference/ Presser

The spanish translator forgot what language he was speaking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

2-2 draw tonite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

2-2 draw tonite

Barcelona were only able to score 2 against this side. The most they conceded at home this season.
    Liverpool will find it hard to break this team down.
    1v0 Villarreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Can't see Joe Allen starting. For me it's:

Mignolet

Clyne - Kolo - Lovren - Moreno

Milner - Lucas - Coutinho

Firmino - Sturridge - Lallana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Joe Allen has to start IMO. he's our best fit natural centre mid at the moment. Milner provides the big moments alright, but Allen is the best actual midfielder and we will for sure need him away from home.

I'm getting such an excitement about tonight, I haven't had this for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Dont know how true it is but I heard that Sturridge is not starting and Firmino will start up front.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hope we can get a result tonight, but don't think it'll be high scoring anyhow. Tough tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ollie1 wrote: »
    Dont know how true it is but I heard that Sturridge is not starting and Firmino will start up front.

High probability,

He'll be an impact sub, seeing as he's our only uninjured striker that can score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Need Liverpool to win this for me to get rich

• Advertisement

Liverpool Starting XI vs Villarreal:

Mignolet;
    Clyne, Lovren, Touré, Moreno;
    Milner, Lucas, Allen;
    Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho

Ward, Škrtel, Smith, Chirivella, Ibe, Benteke, Sturridge

Should have taken Ojo for one of the bolded.

Villarreal

Asenjo; Gaspar, Bailly, Ruiz, Costa; dos Santos, Bruno, Pina, Suárez; Soldado, Bakambu

Subs:Aréola, Musacchio, Samu, Trigueros, Castillejo, Lopez, Rukavina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can't imagine Sturridge is going to be happy with being on the bench so often. I imagine he will kick up a fuss eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

1-1 sturridge off the bench to grab an equalizer.

Ojo is hardly registered to play in Europe.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Ojo is hardly registered to play in Europe.

Doesn't need to be - he's 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Haven't seen villa play this season, anyone in particular to keep an eye on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good stuff, not a night to be carrying Mr......Sturridge.

Hopefully he'll come on towards the end and grab a goal to keep his stats up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'd rather Sturridge started, need a player who'll occupy their defenders, be a threat in behind, quick out ball option and of course he's a goalscorer. Really think you can only play the 'false 9' when you're going to dominate the ball and I don't think that midfield can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This might go really badly. Just saying. :o

• Advertisement

Listening to Phil Neville on 5live, he had a few insights, Bruno is a danger man. They'll be very regimented in their set up - shape is everything for Villarreal. Sounds like a Pulis side with more sun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Brother just rang, he's at it, been raining on and off , bit of a shít stadium, great atmosphere around town from the pool fans, as you would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Got away with the team selection against Dortmund.....I expected Milner out wide but didn't expect Bobby up top

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Oh ye of little faith

1-1 at worst

Would be happy taking a draw of any description back to Anfield

I wouldn't be upset with even a 2-1 defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

An away goal should always be the aim in away first legs. That makes, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 2-3 etc all decent results. If we can win great but a one goal defeat with an away goal is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Brother just rang, he's at it, been raining on and off , bit of a shít stadium, great atmosphere around town from the pool fans, as you would expect.

Tell him to wrap up well and not get his head wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Michael Owen said he was playing Firmino for possession, even though his biggest weakness is constantly giving the ball away too easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I don't like when Lloyd says things like this. He's usually all Braveheart before a game. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

How I picture the other fans on here waiting for Villareal to get the first goal ;)

giphy.gif

Yellow submarine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Yellow submarine.

Ha lets hope the go down so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Riquelme still knocking around?

Psychedelic baby, Alexei Lalas in the commentators box to wax banally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Proper nervous about this :)

Vote Kolo.

Kolo for No.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

x43r0 wrote: »
    How I picture the other fans on here waiting for Villareal to get the first goal ;)

giphy.gif

We all sit like that at times in fairness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

giphy.gif

Forget that, Villareal are a team that warrant support and admiration no matter who they are playing, shouldn't just be support from those wishing Liverpool ill.

How I picture the other fans on here waiting for Villareal to get the first goal]

https://twitter.com/TribeOfMa/status/725709043222847488

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm sure that was a foul on Coutinho

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement