Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father should bring young daughter into ladies or gents public toilets?

Options
  • 28-04-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what people do here. I'm a father and I have a daughter that's just turned 3. When out in public and she needs to go to the toilet, which toilet do you use?
    Mens are usually a bit dirtier, píss on the seats and the floor and she has to sit on the seat obviously. Also, she doesn't like going into the mens because she knows it's the mens because of the symbol on the door, she asks to go into the girls.
    But on the other hand I'm a man going into the womens toilet. I went into a womens toilet with her a few days ago, it was fairly busy, and got some very strange looks.
    So what would you do, or women, do you have a problem with grown men going into the ladies toilet?
    It's sort of different to the whole nappy changer only in the womens toilet problem, because there's no option there. Here, there is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Cienciano wrote: »
    Just wondering what people do here. I'm a father and I have a daughter that's just turned 3. When out in public and she needs to go to the toilet, which toilet do you use?
    Mens are usually a bit dirtier, píss on the seats and the floor and she has to sit on the seat obviously. Also, she doesn't like going into the mens because she knows it's the mens because of the symbol on the door, she asks to go into the girls.
    But on the other hand I'm a man going into the womens toilet. I went into a womens toilet with her a few days ago, it was fairly busy, and got some very strange looks.
    So what would you do, or women, do you have a problem with grown men going into the ladies toilet?
    It's sort of different to the whole nappy changer only in the womens toilet problem, because there's no option there. Here, there is.

There was a thread similar to this last week I think?

Bottom line IMO - your daughter needs to go, she needs to go. That's more important than any looks or anything else you're going to get from strangers.

Daughter first, strangers after. Priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

I usually always use the disabled toilet if I can , I'm a girl btw but usually have my nephews with me if I''m bringing them cinema , sod the looks you are doing nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The people in the jacks with the dirty looks should have a bit of cop on in all fairness. What do they think you're doing in the ladies with a girl? Either they're thick or a memebr of the mock outrage brigade.

Feck the looks, look after your daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Last weeks thread was about swimming pool changing rooms, which is a different issue- no one walks naked around the toilets!
    I'd probably do a double take if I saw a man in the ladies, but it wouldn't bother me a bit. The disabled toilet, if available would be fine too I think- they usually double as baby changing facilities, so using them for young kids is perfectly acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I would bring her into the ladies. The ladies all have cubicles, the men's do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Gents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I would take her to the ladies OP. Same if I had a young boy with me, I would bring him to the ladies also. The ladies toilets are all cubicles, so there's no issue with privacy IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I would bring her into the ladies. The ladies all have cubicles, the men's do not.

The majority actually do have cubicles ,

As a dad to 2 girls I'd bring them into the gents if no parent and toddler room wasn't available,
    Having have to try use the ladies in a shopping center recently I was shocked and discusted at the state of 4 cubicles in the ladies .
    If you can't find a parent and toddler room try find a disabled toilet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Depends on how bogging the gents are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I brought my girls into the ladies and I wasn't well received by some of the users!

I didn't care but I could understand the reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The state of cubicles in men's toilets is just awful and not fit for animals never mind young kids.
    I bring my daughter to the disabled toilets, as another poster said they usually now have baby changing facilities too so to me that's a signal that it's ok for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Ladies. Those of us who are parents or who have just a little compassion will be fine with it. If I was there and you and your little girl needed help, I'd take charge of letting the ladies in the room know why you were there and to knock off the b*tching.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Bring your little girl into the ladies if you prefer.

It's all cubicled anyway so if you get some pearl-clutching because you happened to see a naked wrist its them that's being a bit precious about it.

I think though that ladies and gents toilets can be equally bogging so in a lot of cases you are playing Goldilocks with the cubicles anyway regardless of the toilet gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I didn't care but I could understand the reaction.

I can't, and I'm a chick. What were you going to see while you were waiting on your daughter, some handwashing and maybe a bit of make-up being touched up? The humanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I use disabled toilets if they are there.
    Never went into the ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Go into the ladies, by all means. Nobody in their right mind is going to think you are using a three-year-old girl whining about needing to pee in order to sneak looks at our privates. Heck, if you're that desperate to see my middle-aged hoo-hah I'll take a picture and hand it to you myself.

Needless to say the needs of the child are the most important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Either or... when you think about it, a woman would just bring her son to the ladies with her so just bring her to the gents with you if you want, or to the ladies if you prefer...

Some ladies toilets would make you cringe the state of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

As a girl, I would have no problem you coming in to the ladies with your daughter. If anyone throws you looks, just ask them is it ok if I wait here while my daughter goes to the bathroom. No-one is going to say no and if they do, they have to say no to that poor girls face!

Its ridiculous that in this day and age, changing tables are (mostly) only found in womens toilets. Its something that has always baffled me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

My partner always takes my near 3 year old daughter into the Gents toilets to wash her hands and if he needs to go to the toilet himself. It's what ever you feel comfortable with yourself. I want my daughter to see that her father will do everything I do with her and there's no set roles in life. Thankfully my partner feels the same way. I would rarely see men take their children to the toilet where I'm from, it's usually the women. Programming children from a young age I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

No way would I take my girls into the gents past men at urinals. It was the baby changing toilets, disabled or the ladies in that order for me when they were that young.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I don't agree with those suggesting he use the disabled toilets - what if someone with a genuine disability needs to use them? Particularly if, for example, the person has Crohns or similar and needs to use the loos in a hurry.

I see absolutely no problem with a man bringing a girl into a ladies bathroom. If I was in the ladies and saw a man there, I'd probably take a second glance alright, but once I saw the little girl with them I'd understand. As others have said, what exactly are they going to see anyways that's in any way inappropriate?

I also see no problem with a man bringing a girl into the gents. I mean, if you had a father and a young son, they'd almost certainly go to the gents loos and there's the possibility that the young boy would see something passing the urinals. So I don't really see that as being any more or less traumatising than if it were a young girl seeing it instead.

As a mother, I think I'll find it tricky when my son is old enough to want to go into the gents loos rather than into the ladies with me. To be honest I'd find it awkward bringing him into the gents, but it's hard to know what age is appropriate to allow him to go in there by himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Honestly what kind of person would care that a father is bringing his daughter into the ladies. Some kids hate going to the "wrong" bathroom so it can be easier to bring them to the "right" one. The ladies can be pretty gross at times as well.

I think there should be family bathrooms especially in big shopping centres etc. With soap and sinks that kids can actually reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I don't agree with those suggesting he use the disabled toilets - what if someone with a genuine disability needs to use them? Particularly if, for example, the person has Crohns or similar and needs to use the loos in a hurry.
    What would happen if a disabled person was using it and somebody with crohns or a second disabled person came along........they would still have to wait!

By the way I don't condone people using the disabled toilets but until public places start providing a unisex/ family toilet this will continue to happen.
    Many disabled toilets also double as baby changing facilities and I personally use the one in Dundrum all the time!

Personally I wouldn't be that bothered if a Dad came in to the ladies with his young daughter. I recently witnessed a young girl prob about 7 being dragged in to the gents by her Dad in the Liffey Valley S.C. She was uncomfortable and very upset. She did not want to go in there and there was an alternative. I was really upset for her but it wasn't my place to intervene.
    On the other hand I just asked the OH and he said there would be no way he would go in to the ladies with our little one!
    He said he would use the disabled toilet or ask to use a staff toilet.
    Different strokes for different folks I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Where is your daughter more comfortable? Take her there. Tbh I wouldn't like the thoughts of my daughter sitting on a seat with pee on it. You're queing with her and taking her into a cubicle in the ladies bathroom. Unless you're peeing under doors or looking over stalls, I can't see why this might be an issue.

Completely different situation for changing rooms though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Sundew wrote: »
    What would happen if a disabled person was using it and somebody with crohns or a second disabled person came along........they would still have to wait!

By the way I don't condone people using the disabled toilets but until public places start providing a unisex/ family toilet this will continue to happen.
    Many disabled toilets also double as baby changing facilities and I personally use the one in Dundrum all the time!

Personally I wouldn't be that bothered if a Dad came in to the ladies with his young daughter. I recently witnessed a young girl prob about 7 being dragged in to the gents by her Dad in the Liffey Valley S.C. She was uncomfortable and very upset. She did not want to go in there and there was an alternative. I was really upset for her but it wasn't my place to intervene.
    On the other hand I just asked the OH and he said there would be no way he would go in to the ladies with our little one!

Snap! I always use the dundrum disabled ones. Even if only for the fact that the regular cubicals don't fit a buggy! And don't get me started on trying to get the double in!

OP do whatever you feel comfortable doing and what you think your child is most comfortable with. The women's changing rooms mentioned in a different thread however... Totally different story altogether....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

When my daughters were that age I would have them use the disabled toilet too. On one occasion when a disabled toilet wasn't available, I asked a woman on her way out of the ladies if she wouldn't mind taking my daughter in. She was happy enough to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

Speedwell wrote: »
    Go into the ladies, by all means. Nobody in their right mind is going to think you are using a three-year-old girl whining about needing to pee in order to sneak looks at our privates. Heck, if you're that desperate to see my middle-aged HOO-HAH I'll take a picture and hand it to you myself.
    Needless to say the needs of the child are the most important thing.

Did you say that with an Al Pacino voice, cause that’s what I heard! HOO-HAH Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

storker wrote:
    When my daughters were that age I would have them use the disabled toilet too. On one occasion when a disabled toilet wasn't available, I asked a woman on her way out of the ladies if she wouldn't mind taking my daughter in. She was happy enough to help out.

You asked a complete stranger to take your child to the loo???

If someone asked me to do that I'd be gobsmacked. Nothing to do with safety or stranger-danger at all, it's just plain rude, imo.

Ok, fair enough, that particular woman was "happy enough" but I think it's a huge imposition to even ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sundew wrote: »

Jesus at age 7 id send my daughter in on her own...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I can't, and I'm a chick. What were you going to see while you were waiting on your daughter, some handwashing and maybe a bit of make-up being touched up? The humanity!

Well my kids were behind a closed door and when they only

saw me standing there they may have become a little nervous?

I don't really know though as I didn't ask!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement