Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying kids' shoes online - any recommendations?

Options
  • 28-04-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

I do as much of my shopping as I can do online these days. Getting shoes for the kids is one of the few things that I still have to make a trip to the shop for. So I was wondering can anyone suggest any good online retailers that have a decent selection of kids shoes, preferably with free returns and/or delivery.

I generally get clarks as the kids have narrow feet, but am open to suggestions! Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I find even in children's shoe shops, it can be very tricky to find shoes that fit well. We often try on 4 or 5 pairs in the same brand and size, but because of the design of the shoe, only one or two will fit her properly when she walks around in them.

I would only buy online for shoes that are occasionally worn, rather than everyday. Party shoes, or wellies maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jenmckm

Thanks pwurple. You do have a fair point. I suppose we are lucky in that we have a fairy large independent shoe shop in the nearest town with a good fitting service. It's just the expense of them though - I usually end up spending way more than I intended to because they might not have a lot of options in the particular size that the kids need. That being said, there have been instances when I've been in a dedicated clarks store and they've had NO shoes in the width fitting that we needed. Hopefully their little feet will start to widen out a bit soon and it'll be easier to get them kitted out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I use shoes4kids.co.uk and usually get Clark's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh god ya the price of them is bananas. I was hoping my girls would be able to do hand me downs even, but no. Eldest is super narrow with normal arch, youngest is very wide with high arch. Small one hates shoes, barely wears them at all, takes them off everywhere we go. And then I get a bollocking in the shoe shop because her barely worn (60 quid) shoes were 2 sizes too small for her when she went through a growth spurt and shot up those sizes in 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I buy shoes in shops. I used to fit shoes myself many years ago so I know the importance of fit. I don't think they're a mad price either-mine generally get at least three months out of a pair and we only buy proper leather shoes so I feel they're good value for money. Certainly better value than the man made fabrics runners are made from that look battered after a couple of wears. Even if they're in good nick I would not have a child wear second hand shoes because the leather will have molded to fit the wearers foot so it wouldn't be as supportive on a different foot.
    I'm all about quality over quantity when it comes to clothes and shoes. I'd rather pay a bit more for stuff that'll last. I think most shoes have been around €50 a pair, which doesn't seem extortionate to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The most I pay for Clark's men's is 50, so that price for kids is extortionate.

We get the kids measured in Clark's and then buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Mens shoes at €50 wouldn't be great quality, they probably aren't leather lined and are made in China.

How much is expensive for children's shoes? I could understand it getting expensive if you're buying them three or four different types of shoes on an ongoing basis, but ours get one pair of leather shoes with leather linings that go with everything at a time. Usually it's three or four months before they need another pair and they're worn daily.

My mum reminded me she paid £50 for my school shoes about 25 years ago, I've really narrow feet and they had to be ordered in. I wore them for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi OP, it depends on how old your kids are. I think any child up to at least 6 should have their feet measured everytime they get new shoes. Even older than this I wouldn't buy shoes without measuring their feet and trying them on. Kids go through growing spurts, sizing may vary due to branding or style of shoe. My own youngster is 11 and I've taken a chance once or twice buying footwear online. But even still I prefer buying his footwear via bricks n mortar to make sure I get a proper sizing and fitting. When he was younger I used to get him fitted in Clarkes, they were about €35 back then.

For smaller children, footwear is important to their growth, development and posture, I would ensure that they are wearing a good quality and correct fitting shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Kildare village is another option, with a clarks outlet, if you're ever passing that way. I've only ever been once, and the selection was ok, but maybe it's not always as good? I don't know!
    It's one area I wouldn't be trying to make huge cutbacks, kiddies do need decent, well fitting shoes with good support.

Advertisement