Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop to Projector - Connection

• 28-04-2016 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I connect my laptop (Surface Pro III) to my projector via a google chromecast. I cast websites. It used to work OK, but now it doesn't so much (lag/sound issues) so I've decided to go the hard wire route.

The projector (Epson EH-TW5200) has a few ports including HDMI. My laptop has a USB 3.0. I thought, surely a USB 3.0 to HDMI cable exists...and surely HDMI and USB 3.0 are modern connections and would be decent quality (I'm technically very ignorant).

Anyway, does this exist? I found lots of HDMI to Micro USB, but no normal sized USB 3.0. Is it a case that i need to buy something like a "HDMI External Video Card-HDMI Display Extender Multi Monitor Adapter" , to which Id connect a standard HDMI cable? Is that the best solution.

Also, Id need both sound/video to transmit obviously (Not sure if its relevant, but my projector is connected to my surrounded sound by the AUX port) so that would still need to work.

Apologies for my ignorance!! Ive attached the back of the Projector incase there is a much simpler solution!!

Cheers
    (the things we do to have show the eurovision on the big screen :rolleyes:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

This page from Microsoft may be useful. It sounds to me as if you need a mini display port to HDMI adaptor. Amazon sells them.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-ie/support/music-photos-and-video/connect-surface-to-a-tv-display-or-projector?os=windows-10#screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

marcus2000 wrote: »
    I connect my laptop (Surface Pro III) to my projector via a google chromecast. I cast websites. It used to work OK, but now it doesn't so much (lag/sound issues) so I've decided to go the hard wire route.

The projector (Epson EH-TW5200) has a few ports including HDMI. My laptop has a USB 3.0. I thought, surely a USB 3.0 to HDMI cable exists...and surely HDMI and USB 3.0 are modern connections and would be decent quality (I'm technically very ignorant).

Anyway, does this exist? I found lots of HDMI to Micro USB, but no normal sized USB 3.0. Is it a case that i need to buy something like a "HDMI External Video Card-HDMI Display Extender Multi Monitor Adapter" , to which Id connect a standard HDMI cable? Is that the best solution.

Also, Id need both sound/video to transmit obviously (Not sure if its relevant, but my projector is connected to my surrounded sound by the AUX port) so that would still need to work.

Apologies for my ignorance!! Ive attached the back of the Projector incase there is a much simpler solution!!

Cheers
    (the things we do to have show the eurovision on the big screen :rolleyes:)

I use a HP Spectre and surprisingly found that the apple USB-C to multiport adapter worked best http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MJ1K2ZM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Cheaper adapters such as flicker and loss of connection. If you can I'd suggest buying it in a high st store such as Harvey Norman or PC World as they'll change it to something else if it doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Mad Mike wrote: »
    This page from Microsoft may be useful. It sounds to me as if you need a mini display port to HDMI adaptor. Amazon sells them.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-ie/support/music-photos-and-video/connect-surface-to-a-tv-display-or-projector?os=windows-10#screen

thanks. i bought a mini display port to HDMI adaptor back in April, on an irish website. was a 10er. works a treat!!!!

Advertisement