Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite Newbridge

Options
  • 28-04-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

We have just gone sale agreed on a house in the Belmont Green estate in Newbridge and our surveyor has mentioned given the age of the property (built circa 2006) there is a possibility of pyrite being an issue. Has anyone had any issues in this estate or in Newbridge itself?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hi,

We have just gone sale agreed on a house in the Belmont Green estate in Newbridge and our surveyor has mentioned given the age of the property (built circa 2006) there is a possibility of pyrite being an issue. Has anyone had any issues in this estate or in Newbridge itself?
    Thanks in advance.

Did the surveyor not look for signs of pyrite heave?

In most instances it's not difficult to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sarahred102

Rosahane wrote: »
    Did the surveyor not look for signs of pyrite heave?

In most instances it's not difficult to spot.

He mentioned some evident cracks but said it couldn't be identified specifically as pyrite damage without carrying out a test which involves drilling down to the heavy fill that was used. I was just checking whether there was a history of pyrite problems in Newbridge.

He mentioned some evident cracks but said it couldn't be identified specifically as pyrite damage without carrying out a test which involves drilling down to the heavy fill that was used. I was just checking whether there was a history of pyrite problems in Newbridge.

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the location.

The test is an option but it's very costly - upwards of €1500.

Major signs of pyrite are cracks in the floors and the outside walls. If there are cracks in the plaster at the tops of the downstairs doors it could be pyrite also.

Also, if you put a long builders level across the floors any heave will show up.

If there are symptoms be very wary as a new purchaser won't be covered under the rendition scheme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Surveyors use worst case scenario of everything - you need to read between the lines.

This shoudl give you comfort.

http://pyriteresolution.ie/2013/06/pyrite-why-it-is-only-a-problem-in-the-greater-dublinnorth-leinster-area-2/

Pyrite will never just affect one house in a development - it woudl be all and at this stage it woudl be well noticed. So have no worries.

VincePP wrote: »
    Surveyors use worst case scenario of everything - you need to read between the lines.

This shoudl give you comfort.

http://pyriteresolution.ie/2013/06/pyrite-why-it-is-only-a-problem-in-the-greater-dublinnorth-leinster-area-2/

Pyrite will never just affect one house in a development - it woudl be all and at this stage it woudl be well noticed. So have no worries.

You are wrong in what you say. Pyrite could indeed affect only a small number of houses in a development.

In many instances, especially during the building boom builders bought from more than one quarry, they could have bought only a small number of loads of stone from impacted quarries. Also, since pyrite is found in seams in quarries it's possible that only some loads of stone could have pyrite and consequently impact only a few houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I'm in Newbridge all my life and I haven't heard of pyrite in this area at all. It seems to be around north dublin where a lot of houses have been affected.
    Belmont was a timber framed house which in my experience always show more cracks in the walls than traditional block house as the timber is breathing and moving a lot more.

Advertisement