Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used Coffee Grounds from Dublin City Cafes?

Options
  • 28-04-2016 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if any Cafe's in South Dublin City Centre are still giving away used coffee grounds for gardens?
    Some of the Starbucks used to do this, but don't appear to do it now, and the new staff since last summer have no idea what I'm on about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 marask

I know insomnia in chq used to have bags at their main door
    Also saw in Starbucks on Harcourt maybe a month or so ago

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have noticed they aren't leaving them out any longer in small bags however I dropped into Starbucks in the Square yesterday and they were more than happy to give me a binliner full (equivalent of a 30 litre bag of compost) of used coffee grounds after I asked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is Used Coffee Grounds a good compost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

fryup wrote: »
    is Used Coffee Grounds a good compost?

Negligible imo. As a means of bypassing landfill, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Third Space at the YMCA on Aungier Street do.

• Advertisement

I've got them from Starbucks on Westmoreland Street, the Temple Bar side. But last time I went in, they weren't there. Used to be in a basket, you could take what you wanted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

tampopo wrote: »
    I've got them from Starbucks on Westmoreland Street, the Temple Bar side. But last time I went in, they weren't there. Used to be in a basket, you could take what you wanted...

Yeh, I've noticed all the Starbucks that used to do seem to have stopped. They're supposed to add nitrogen to the soil, but also allegedly keep away slugs and snails on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

If your willing to travel to the airport I could prob sent 2 50 litre bags a day your direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Most independent cafes will be more than happy to give you their grounds if you give them some advance notice or even give them a bag to fill. On the south side of the city centre - 3FE, Roasted Brown, Clement & Pekoe, Grove Road and plenty more. Pop in, buy a coffee and ask.

donaghs wrote: »
    Yeh, I've noticed all the Starbucks that used to do seem to have stopped. ---- but also allegedly keep away slugs and snails on the surface.

they don't do that.

not even if flung at great velocity!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement