Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare, sick children and career

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Millem wrote: »
    Mirrorwall I don't want to derail this thread but I think your management are incorrect with all of these leaves. What if youR child has confirmation mon-fri which seems to be the norm around where I am. I am going on marriage leave myself for 7 days and union (tui) has told me that I get classes covered. I haven't even spoken to management yet as school is far too busy with Practicals and Orals etc.

I think that are jobs are probably the best you could ask for in relation to being child friendly. I have nipped home on free classes to bring my guy to the Doctor. A mid term is always only a few weeks away and luckily we get half days on Wednesdays. The private sector is a lot harder. my sister works long hours (probably the normal day for majority) leaves at before 7 home by 6 if she is lucky :( at the month end she has to work weekends. she has a minder in her home for this reason.

Yeah my husband has it a lot harder, leaves at 615, home about 630 if he's lucky. So far we've contrived that he has needed one day annual leave to be used so no major impact on his career yet.

Don't get me wrong millem, I love my job and the holidays are great, it's the inflexibility that bugs me though it does appear my management are more awkward than most. I'd willingly forfeit another two weeks of holidays for a floating 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Yeah my husband has it a lot harder, leaves at 615, home about 630 if he's lucky. So far we've contrived that he has needed one day annual leave to be used so no major impact on his career yet.

Don't get me wrong millem, I love my job and the holidays are great, it's the inflexibility that bugs me though it does appear my management are more awkward than most. I'd willingly forfeit another two weeks of holidays for a floating 5 days.

Mirrorwall your management need to be challenged. Teachers must be one of the most unionised professions. At the end of the day if you are permanent what is the worst they can do......give you a timetable till 4pm???? :p Or maybe you will be passed over for a post which don't exist anyway!!!!! We are very protected by our unions. I am suprised Union have not intervened before. By pass shop steward and go to area rep if you need to even just to enquire.
    These leaves exist and are there for a reason. There is not a month that goes by that I don't cover a class for someone for one reason or another be it chicken pox, child confirmation, family wedding, or a recent one "a new fridge was being delivered"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Millem wrote: »
    Mirrorwall your management need to be challenged. Teachers must be one of the most unionised professions. At the end of the day if you are permanent what is the worst they can do......give you a timetable till 4pm???? :p Or maybe you will be passed over for a post which don't exist anyway!!!!! We are very protected by our unions. I am suprised Union have not intervened before. By pass shop steward and go to area rep if you need to even just to enquire.
    These leaves exist and are there for a reason. There is not a month that goes by that I don't cover a class for someone for one reason or another be it chicken pox, child confirmation, family wedding, or a recent one "a new fridge was being delivered"!!!

Union has no teeth in our school-weve had several years without a rep. I guess I could challenge stuff now I've got a CID. We have one other young teacher just got CID who seems to be very on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Union has no teeth in our school-weve had several years without a rep. I guess I could challenge stuff now I've got a CID. We have one other young teacher just got CID who seems to be very on the ball

My area rep is amazing. I always go straight to him. Sometimes shop stewards don't want to cause a fuss because they work there if you know what I mean.
    Your area rep will be maybe 2 days in head office every week so checks info for you there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

In answer to the OP - yes its very hard. My son when he started at 11 months in crèche was a nightmare esp. for the first year. He always had 'runny' nappies (sorry tmi!) but was no big deal just his constitution! then the crèche had an 'outbreak' of tummy bugs where they almost had to shut the place down so basically at the first sight of a runny nappy either myself or other half was called. at one point it was nearly once a week. luckily I took a back seat on the career front when we had kids, so I do most of the ducking & diving out of work when needs be. But yes crèches have very strict rules - like when my son got chicken pox had to keep him out 10 days & then my daughter got it so another 10 days. very stressful but me & other half did it between us. Lot of people don't have family around tho either - hate the assumption like can you not get your mother etc to do it. In most of my friends families - if both parents working one has taken a back seat on career. I am due a 3rd now & hoping to get redundancy as I think with a new baby & 2 school going have had it with the 'juggling'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

DSN congrats on the upcoming addition.

You reminded me of another tip for avoiding the childhood diseases. There are optional extra vaccines available, the ones that are in use in other countries but our govt doesn't pay for.

Chicken pox, and there is another one for vommitting bugs. http://www.bbc.com/news/health-23103707

We got those. You have to pay for them here, but if you can afford them, it's an option. Chicken pox has a booster, so two visits to the doctor for jabs, the other one is a drop on the tongue, again with a booster.

We have managed to evade several bouts of vommitting illnesses in schools and creche, and about 5 outbreaks of chicken pox so far, and counting.

Advertisement