Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'bad credit' / getting a mortgage?

Options
  • 28-04-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,

I went into the bank today to find out about getting a Mortgage, everything was going great until they checked to see had I an account. When she looked it up, I had a 29 euro overdraft which they wrote off and now I have bad credit. When she found this out, she seemed deflated, whereas before she was all smiles and saying I was doing great. Is 30 euro really gonna deny me a mortgage, or should I still work towards applying? Is bad credit, bad credit, regardless of the number?

TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Seems a bit harsh.

p.s. Enquire can you repay the debt now, and get your record back to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Seems very harsh but any written off debt is a red flag. it just makes it more difficult but when they dig in if that's the only issue I can't imagine them denying you a mortgage.

Remember banks make a lot of money off mortgages that don't default, if they review the whole situation and decide you are not a risk, they'll give you the mortgage.

In this situation it might be better to go through a mortgage broker. Maybe someone who has gone through one of those can give you more ideas.

Advertisement