Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 Commute: Blanchardstown exit to Raheny?

Options
  • 28-04-2016 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

TL;DR: How would the M50 commute from Blanchardstown exit to Raheny be in the morning (arrival ~8.30am)? Google maps gives an estimated 25-35 minutes, is that accurate?

Background: House hunting at the moment and it's a total nightmare trying to find somewhere suitable. Myself & partner are both working professionals and getting sick of living in student style accommodation. We want to live somewhere a bit nicer but, as with most people, we're finding the rents very discouraging! Budget is preferably max 1200 for a 1 bed; he works in Raheny and drives; I work in city centre and walk or public transport - will be moving to IFSC in the next 1-7 months though so really considering that as my work base; currently live in Drumcondra (location is fab but there aren't many 1 beds in our budget around here). Ideal I think would be along the north DART line - we've been looking as far as Clongriffin but have seen very little within our budget over the last few weeks so I'm now extending the search. I've started looking into places along the commuter train line as far as maybe Clonsilla which would be ideal for IFSC communting. There also seems to be more stuff within our budget out there but I need advice on partner's commute. He's a little worried about the increased time and also the petrol - does anyone have advice on the commute from Blanchardstown exit to Raheny? Google maps estimates 25-35 mins for an arrival time of about 8.30am - would this be accurate? He finishes work in the afternoon so probably wouldn't have much hassle on the return journey traffic wise.

Would appreciate any advice on this commute, or indeed, if anyone has any other suggestions for where to live I would welcome those too! Ideally would like commute to be 45mins or less.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Two issues there, Clonsilla to the M50 and time from there to Raheny. I would say Google maps is massively understating the journey time. 45 minutes + would be my thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Raheny suffers from being off the M50. I live in Kilbarrack and the traffic once you get to where people are exiting the M50 is terrible. Not to mention the bloody traffic on the M50!

I highly recommend living out this direction if you can, love the area! IFSC is Cycling distance or a stroll off the DART.

Edit: Ouch! Just looked at DAFT, it is slim pickings!

Edit 2: Found this in Dalkey it's only 1200... a day! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

athtrasna wrote: »
    Two issues there, Clonsilla to the M50 and time from there to Raheny. I would say Google maps is massively understating the journey time. 45 minutes + would be my thinking

Thanks. Clonsilla is about as far as I think we could go (maybe it's too far?), preferably a little closer like near the Castleknock or N3 Navan Road Parkway stations. I'm just very unfamiliar with those areas and commuting on the M50 so not totally sure if it's feasible or not.
    Raheny suffers from being off the M50. I live in Kilbarrack and the traffic once you get to where people are exiting the M50 is terrible. Not to mention the bloody traffic on the M50!

I highly recommend living out this direction if you can, love the area! IFSC is Cycling distance or a stroll off the DART.

Edit: Ouch! Just looked at DAFT, it is slim pickings!

Edit 2: Found this in Dalkey it's only 1200... a day! :pac:

Slim pickings indeed! I thought our budget wasn't too horribly tight but for those areas it definitely seems to be on the lower end. We could afford more but then rent would be seriously eating up what we're able to save every month - and I really don't want that! Oh to be a millionaire and able to rent in Dalkey ha!

Thanks for the advice. I think first choice would still be along the DART line but I've been getting a bit stressed over the lack of availability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Maybe have a look around Swords.
    There are good transport links into the centre including buses thru the port tunnel.
    And he can drive a couple of ways to raheny- feltrim, malahide road, donaghmede etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Does he need to drive? If he got the train too it would be very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Patww79 wrote: »

He's going northbound though which is better.

Try Ashtown/Royal canal park OP. You should be able to get something on budget, on the dock lands train line and its inside the M50 so partner can take the M50 or if it's extra clogged that morning go cross country through Finglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Commuter train to Connolly and then DART to Raheny is it? He'd have a bit of a walk after as well but I could present it as an option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Konata wrote: »
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Commuter train to Connolly and then DART to Raheny is it? He'd have a bit of a walk after as well but I could present it as an option.
    Yeah that's it. He could bring a fold up bicycle on the train with him if it was a significant walk on the other end. Kilbarrack or Harmonstown stop might suit him better too depending on where he is working.

In general I would not drive to work if there are any other options (except bus).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

I drive from Blanchardstown village to Kilbarrack every morning. I leave at 8.05 and arrive in Kilbarrack at 8.35. On a Friday it takes 5 or 10 minutes less.

CWF wrote: »
    I go from Blanchardstown village to Kilbarrack every morning. I leave at 8.05 and arrive in Kilbarrack at 8.35. On a Friday it takes 5 or 10 minutes less.

I'm not sure the OP has a helicopter licence though :pac:

I forgot there's actually a bus from Blanch to Kilbarrack for some reason. 17A takes the guts of 90 minutes though, eesh!

I'm not sure the OP has a helicopter licence though :pac:

I forgot there's actually a bus from Blanch to Kilbarrack for some reason. 17A takes the guts of 90 minutes though, eesh!

Are you saying I'm lying or something?

Are you saying I'm lying or something?

I'm suggesting you're making the trip unusually quickly. I'm sure the OP would be delighted to know your tips for covering a 20 km journey in 20 minutes on Fridays given at least a third of the journey is on 50 and 60 KPH roads with a number of bad traffic light junctions and roundabouts and the limit on the M50 is 100KPH, as would I - maybe you're taking a different route.

Now if you're telling us there's absolutely no traffic happy days, I don't drive the route that often so I'll be guided by your estimates.

Lets not split hairs over 5 or ten minutes buddy. Put it like this, it takes me between 20 and 35 minutes to go from Blanch village to Kilbarrack every morning for the last 5 years. Have a nice day :)

Lets not split hairs over 5 or ten minutes buddy. Put it like this, it takes me between 20 and 35 minutes to go from Blanch village to Kilbarrack every morning for the last 5 years. Have a nice day :)

Okie dokie Pal, lets call it 30 minutes. Would you care to share how you're making that journey at peak times and what route you're taking. It can take the guts of 30 minutes to get from Kilbarrack to the M50 at times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would drive from Finglas to Raheny regularly enough at 8.30am. It takes about 30 minutes.

you need to check google maps at the actual time you would be travelling in the morning, as it gives you real time travel times

The return journey is nowhere near as certain but to be fair I suppose you get a bit more leeway on the way home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What about This One . Baldoyle is on the dart line and very close to Raheny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement