Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Yates fails dope test

Options
  • 28-04-2016 11:32pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

According to Daily Mail (spits) he failed a test at Paris Nice, just the a sample so far and no details on what it was.
    Feckin eejet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ffs, and out of all the teams to have a rider fail a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Seems like a Pandora 's box of shiite has been opened up for British cycling the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ffs, and out of all the teams to have a rider fail a test.

Please. This post is pathetic. Of all teams? Wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

DKmac wrote: »

Yeah, cmon sheeple!

C-Shore wrote: »
    Yeah, cmon sheeple!

And just when OGE were having a really successful start to the year..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In the rush of blood to your head it looks like your brain has completely failed to understand my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

On this week's edition of Orica GreenEdge Backstage Pass....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ThisRegard wrote: »
    In the rush of blood to your head it looks like your brain has completely failed to understand my post.
    Let's not escalate this further guys

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Terabutiline - basically an inhaler. Team are claiming a fcuk up by the doctor when he failed to apply for the correct TUE.

http://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/statement-regarding-simon-yates-adverse-analytical-finding.phps

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Terabutiline - basically an inhaler. Team are claiming a fcuk up by the doctor when he failed to apply for the correct TUE.

http://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/statement-regarding-simon-yates-adverse-analytical-finding.phps

It's an inhaler for asthma with no performance benefit to anyone other than treating asthma.
    If this is true he deserves to get a very lenient punishment if any ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

1. What are these doctors up to the they fail to fill in the forms ?? You'd think this was their bread and butter

2. If you have to have these TUES should you be riding ..i mean should you have something to open your lungs up while others don;t

3. If its so benign why is it on the banned list...there must be a reason

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

MPFGLB wrote: »
    1. What are these doctors up to the they fail to fill in the forms ?? You'd think this was their bread and butter

2. If you have to have these TUES should you be riding ..i mean should you have something to open your lungs up while others don;t

3. If its so benign why is it on the banned list...there must be a reason

Paper work is hassle and not easy to do while traveling. Should have been submitted though and no excuse for that.

To question 2 it only opens the lungs of people with asthma who are restricted. Would have no effect on someone without asthma.

And 3 the banned list is being changed and some drugs are only because of historical suspicion of asthma

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Let them all go on the juice problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

It looks like a genuine mistake but nonetheless it looks bad for the sport. It's a pity that footballers aren't given the same level of scrutiny. Cyclist=cheat
    Footballer=unfortunate in regards to test failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

yeah, Like the Irish, the Australians have a way of doing things that the rest of the world doesn't understand.....

Let them all go on the juice problem solved.

Yeah..and why do I need to go a doctor to get prescription drugs. Surely I'm qualified enough as a person who regularly treats colds and flus to decide what medical products are safe and suitable for my consumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

1bryan wrote: »
    yeah, Like the Irish, the Australians have a way of doing things that the rest of the world doesn't understand.....

I don't read / see any ethnic association. Dr could have been from anywhere ....

It's interesting that the team are coming out with hands up. However, there is an onus on all riders to ensure that any drug/medicine they are taking or given is not on the banned list and if it is, that the TUE is applied for/in place before competing..... If there is a positive test for the drug later, it's their name/ reputation that will be published/talked about, not the doctors!

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I don't read / see any ethnic association. Dr could have been from anywhere ....

yeah, sorry, my comment was a bit too cryptic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's an inhaler for asthma with no performance benefit to anyone other than treating asthma.
    If this is true he deserves to get a very lenient punishment if any ....

I disagree. He's broken the rules, he deserves a ban. Every single athlete is responsible for what they put in their body, that's the basic rule under WADA rules

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭casion3

It was listed on the form when he did the test so he wasn't trying to hide anything

If he has had previous TUE for it he will be fine.

So many experts quick to make up their mind, frankie sheerhan and aidan o mahoney got done for same thing not a word said about it.

Not saying cheating isn't going on in cycling but all professional sports are as dirty or even dirtier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

casion3 wrote: »
    It was listed on the form when he did the test so he wasn't trying to hide anything

I didn't read that, is it confirmed anywhere?.... If that's true it certainly does seems to be just a mix up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Its very strange for a Team to take the wrap for something like this when i'm sure the team sponsors will be very concerned about this. Makes me think it could have been a genuine mistake. Who is gonna dispute a team doctor who Yates has probably worked well with for a few years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

casion3 wrote: »

If he has had previous TUE for it he will be fine.

So many experts quick to make up their mind, frankie sheerhan and aidan o mahoney got done for same thing not a word said about it.

Not saying cheating isn't going on in cycling but all professional sports are as dirty or even dirtier

I don't believe he chested intentionally, all violations need to be punished regardless of intent. For too long back dated or previous TUEs were used to hide genuine treating.

As I said earlier, it was Yates responsibility to ensure everything was done correctly, it was his responsibility as he was the one taking it. If the UCI give him a pass, the door is left ajar for cheaters.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Think some asthma drugs have performance benefits. Alberto Salazar had some of his athletes on them:

Among the prescriptions the athletes said Salazar often pushed them to obtain were various asthma medications, from albuterol inhalers to corticosteroids. To use some asthma drugs legally, World Anti-Doping Agency rules require athletes to have a documented condition and obtain a waiver. Two former Oregon Project athletes described being told by Salazar to do a hard workout, and then run up the stairs to a doctor’s office to take an asthma test. “You sprint around the track, sprint through downtown Portland, and sprint up the stairs and go do the test,” the runner said. The athlete added that Salazar often had an inhaler to give out to runners who still didn’t qualify. “If you hadn’t failed the asthma test yet,” the runner said, “he’d say, ‘Here’s an inhaler, use it until we get you tested’.” There is some evidence that albuterol inhalers acutely improve muscle performance, but no evidence that they improve aerobic endurance in non-asthmatic athletes.

https://www.propublica.org/article/more-athletes-say-track-coach-alberto-salazar-broke-drug-rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

If Yates is a confirmed asthma sufferer, and apparently this is well known in Britain, just to add my two cents, the playing field is not ever level, even with the inhalor. The clogged up feeling, the inability to get proper breaths, the anxiety missing a breath or two and trying to keep calm - the inhalor is only one part of the management of asthma to bring you to somewhat parity. Then you have to go and race!

Given the actual type of inhalor that's been reported here, not the usual salbutamol from which Ulissi got caught with overdosing on and are more seen in the Ventolin ones prescribed by most doctors - i myself have the same with Becotide, but an even stronger bricanyl inhalor which is much stronger and more potent, it more points to a chronic sufferer of the condition than trying to seek an "advantage" -

maybe i'm biased to those who suffer from it but to be honest I'm in the Yates camp here. Unfortunate cock up by the team but I'm not sure this lad did it for an advantage - i'm plenty sure others do.

which begs the question, if this is a cock-up by the team, and it has cast doubts upon Yates, potentially impacting his future career, surely he can take action against them?

Providing there wasn't some small-print clause in his contract indemnifying them from any such mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    If Yates is a confirmed asthma sufferer, and apparently this is well known in Britain, just to add my two cents, the playing field is not ever level, even with the inhalor. The clogged up feeling, the inability to get proper breaths, the anxiety missing a breath or two and trying to keep calm - the inhalor is only one part of the management of asthma to bring you to somewhat parity. Then you have to go and race!

Given the actual type of inhalor that's been reported here, not the usual salbutamol from which Ulissi got caught with overdosing on and are more seen in the Ventolin ones prescribed by most doctors - i myself have the same with Becotide, but an even stronger bricanyl inhalor which is much stronger and more potent, it more points to a chronic sufferer of the condition than trying to seek an "advantage" -

maybe i'm biased to those who suffer from it but to be honest I'm in the Yates camp here. Unfortunate cock up by the team but I'm not sure this lad did it for an advantage - i'm plenty sure others do.

God it's a wonder he's an elite sportsman at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have to say I was always sceptical about exercise induced asthma/ the levels of asthma in professional sports people, until I got off my fat lazy ass, got fit, and then subsequently got diagnosed with it myself once I was pushing myself harder physically! I don't see much performance benefit, except for hacking up/ spitting less phlegm and having to do less "Bushman's Blows" or whatever you want to call it when I am pushing myself on the bike (or running).

Having said that, I'll reserve judgement in this case as I have seen it suggested there are fringe benefits of this particular med that I haven't had a chance to read up on to make a call yet (as you do as a fan of pro-cycling).

• Advertisement

So looks like S Yates had no previous TUE for this medication so sanction likely

Advertisement