Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Days/local arrangement at 2nd level

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Millem wrote: »
    This is the same for us!

Mirrorwall would the call from crèche not come under force majure?

Wouldn't have required a hospital visit. Just he couldn't be kept in creche

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

But you had to take care of him at short notice due to illness ?
    I’d say that’s force majeure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Force majeure means “ This leave covers situations where, for urgent family reasons, the immediate presence of the employee is indispensably required at the place where the family member is.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

If management are being a-holes about it then it’s time to turn it around on management. When they come looking for something, stand up for yourselves and say no. If they don’t want to play ball then it should cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

doc_17 wrote: »
    If management are being a-holes about it then it’s time to turn it around on management. When they come looking for something, stand up for yourselves and say no. If they don’t want to play ball then it should cost them.

I have to say my principals have always been very understanding in situations like this
    That’s why I was unsure if force majeure covered it as the very rare times I’ve had to look for cover in this situation it was looked after no questions asked
    Voluntary secondary schools not etb so that may be different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

It all depends on the principal in my experience, whether it’s ETB, community or religious. We have a new one and they are a bit more of a stickler about it. I’ll be doing what I always do though. I’ll get the cover, nobody that is on call, give it to the deputy, ask the principal as a courtesy. If that system breaks down then I would ring in sick and they can use their S&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Be very careful! ETB will require paperwork and while your Principal may be wonderful in accomadating you there will be a request later on from Head Office for paperwork.I ve seen it,even in a case of Force Majeure which has not been sorted yet for a colleague.

It is nigh on impossible in many schools now to get colleagues (who are not on S&S) to cover for you as timetables are so tight and any class you may have "off" according to your timetable is taken up with some fcukin box ticking meeting be it SLAR or some other waste of time,

Many years ago some teachers destroyed the fairly decent working conditions the profession had by taking days and sometimes more without batting an eylid.Is it any wonder the Dept ,Paschal et al put an end to such carry-on and now we have the unequal pay fiasco.....9 years on! And of course through natural wastage the unequal pay will be very equal very soon as everyone will be on the lower pay as the senior teachers have moved closer to retirement.Just add up the saving made in the last 9 years alone and you will see the huge pot Paschal has "saved" by treating young teachers like a piece of dog poo! The whole idea of taking personal day that may have been needed for appointments were most certainly taken to the extreme by some and now these same people are basking in their Golden Years with lovely full pensions and fcuk the rest of ye!

I found the leave section in the dept of Education very helpful over the years.
    I have always managed with Granny etc when the kids were sick but last year they had the vomiting bug.
    It was like a scene from a horror movie! My own VP wanted to mark it as my own sick leave. Leave section told me it was covered under “illness of a family member leave”. It is not the same as force majuere.
    I had to get a doctor’s cert for my kids saying they had the vomiting bug and where able to attend school/Montesorri.

It might be of some use to someone.
    “Illness of a family member leave of 5 days in a school year in the case of a spouse, child or parent OR 3 days in a school year in the case of a brother, sister, grand-parent, aunt, uncle, or parent-in law.
    When applying for this type of leave the teacher must provide certification from a medical practitioner stating that the family member concerned requires constant care and attention for the period of recuperation from the illness.”

Thankfully I have only had to use it once. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have always managed with Granny etc when the kids were sick but last year they had the vomiting bug.
    It was like a scene from a horror movie! My own VP wanted to mark it as my own sick leave. Leave section told me it was covered under “illness of a family member leave”. It is not the same as force majuere.
    I had to get a doctor’s cert for my kids saying they had the vomiting bug and where able to attend school/Montesorri.

“Illness of a family member leave of 5 days in a school year in the case of a spouse, child or parent OR 3 days in a school year in the case of a brother, sister, grand-parent, aunt, uncle, or parent-in law.
    When applying for this type of leave the teacher must provide certification from a medical practitioner stating that the family member concerned requires constant care and attention for the period of recuperation from the illness.”

Is this primary or post primary Millem? That sounds exactly what I needed

Is this primary or post primary Millem? That sounds exactly what I needed

Post primary circular 19/00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

That's very helpful millem.

Is that for all secondary (etbs and voluntary)?

From posts on here it seems ETBs are way stickier than voluntary.

Does the 'banking of supervision hours' still go on? I.e. you'll suddenly see loads of sub hours being dished out in may as the school has to 'use them up'.
    So a teachers sick leave is covered by S&S, While the dept are simultaneously providing funds for a sub,

allegedly!

Treppen wrote: »
    That's very helpful millem.

Is that for all secondary (etbs and voluntary)?

From posts on here it seems ETBs are way stickier than voluntary.

Does the 'banking of supervision hours' still go on? I.e. you'll suddenly see loads of sub hours being dished out in may as the school has to 'use them up'.
    So a teachers sick leave is covered by S&S, While the dept are simultaneously providing funds for a sub,

allegedly!

No I don’t work in an etb. At the start of school year they do a big 2 pages on leave. Tui called it “compassionate leave.

A teacher/lecturer may be paid salary in respect of a period of absence necessitated by the illness or death of a near relative. Absences approved by the school authority arising out of illness of a family member, who is certified by a doctor as requiring constant care, and bereavement involving a family member are subject to the following limits:

Five days in the case of a spouse, child or parent.
    Three days in the case of a brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle or parent-in-law. “

I defo think “banking” still Goes on.

Advertisement