Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aeration Pump Problem

Options
  • 29-04-2016 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I have recently moved into a house that I bought. The house has a biocycle treatment plant.

The problem is that the aeration pump keeps tripping. I have had an engineer that installs and maintains these tanks out 3 times. He has replaced the pump twice and still can't figure out what is causing it to trip.

At any rate, I was wondering what sort of switch is the one that is tripped (see pcture below). It isn't a regular MCB and it doesn't really look like an RCBO to me either. Can anybody identify it and what does it do?

Thanks folks.

7A72F840-92C8-4918-B2FF-E1712D267DBB_zps3msrfvxl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

It is a regular MCB, the device to the right of it is an auxiliary switching module, presumably to trigger an alarm.

Brochure is here

http://www.oez.com/uploads/oez/files/ks/3081-Z01-06_EN_PL.pdf

Doesn't help with your tripping issue, though, has he checked the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hoagy wrote: »
    It is a regular MCB, the device to the right of it is an auxiliary switching module, presumably to trigger an alarm.

Brochure is here

http://www.oez.com/uploads/oez/files/ks/3081-Z01-06_EN_PL.pdf

Doesn't help with your tripping issue, though, has he checked the cable?

Thanks a million for that. There is indeed a flashing becon that goes off. That is surely what it is.

Unfortunately, I was at work when the engineer was out. My wife was at home but she wasn't watching him work.

I have called a sparks to come have a look at it over the weekend to see if he can find the problem. I'm just getting frustrated that it is turning out to be such a big deal to get a pump to work!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Assuming that it isn't the pump (as it has been replaced twice) it could be an issue with the insulation. I would suggest an insulation resistance test on the cabling (often referred to as a Meggar test).
    If it passes the test see if the MCB is the right size and type (perhaps a C type may be more suitable for a pump). Also swap out the MCB in case it is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

2011 wrote: »
    Assuming that it isn't the pump (as it has been replaced twice) it could be an issue with the insulation. I would suggest an insulation resistance test on the cabling (often referred to as a Meggar test).
    If it passes the test see if the MCB is the right size and type (perhaps a C type may be more suitable for a pump). Also swap out the MCB in case it is faulty.

I was thinking about switching it for a type C. The thing is that the counter (see picture) has plenty of hours on it. That suggests to me that it used to work fine.

The fault is not consistent. Sometimes the pump will trip straight away and sometimes it might run for half an hour. I think trying a new MCB will be an obvious place to start.

Hope fully the sparks will be able to fix find the fault.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

TheBody wrote: »
    I was thinking about switching it for a type C. The thing is that the counter (see picture) has plenty of hours on it. That suggests to me that it used to work fine.

The fault is not consistent. Sometimes the pump will trip straight away and sometimes it might run for half an hour. I think trying a new MCB will be an obvious place to start.

Hope fully the sparks will be able to fix find the fault.

The C type deals better with the inrush (during starting).
    Intermittent problems are frequently due to the ingress of moisture.
    An IR test would identify this. You may find a junction box half full of water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement