Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army explosives unit outside Tirellan school?

Options
  • 29-04-2016 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Was passing Tirellan school this morning, and the road was closed. I saw, what I think was, an army explosives van parked outside, and saw 2 gardai on horseback. Anyone know what was going on?! Was it just a training exercise? Although, hardly seems likely!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

whatever99 wrote: »
    Was passing Tirellan school this morning, and the road was closed. I saw, what I think was, an army explosives van parked outside, and saw 2 gardai on horseback. Anyone know what was going on?! Was it just a training exercise? Although, hardly seems likely!

Likely someone found something in the chemistry lab. An old vial of picric acid or something similar. Wouldn't do to pick that up or shake it.

(Or maybe a nice lump of metallic phosphorous?).

Edit: However the horses suggest a display or demo for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The Garda Helicopter was going around the City this morning as well, and I passed a Garda Command and Control unit heading into Galway at around 8.30 am. doubt if they would bring all that stuff to a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Likely someone found something in the chemistry lab. An old vial of picric acid or something similar. Wouldn't do to pick that up or shake it.

Chemistry lab in a National School? Nah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's an open day at the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's an open day at the school.

I don't remember any open days like that in my national school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't remember any open days like that in my national school!

Maybe you grew up in a different type of neighbourhood .... :D

(Note the carefully constructed comment which doesn't cast aspersions on any area!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I had the bomb squad in mine back in the Seventies. They let us all stand in the yard while they were searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

There was an event on in that school today.
    Only have second hand but reliable info.
    It involved Gardaí, Army, Mountain Rescue and possibly other groups
    demonstrating what they do to national school children.
    Not sure, but maybe a few schools came together for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

whatever99 wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=234717433553324&id=192725481085853

Just a demonstration for primary school kids.

Albeit a damn good one - Army bomb disposal, Garda Mounted unit, Garda dog unit, compol!

Advertisement