Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restricted Pistol Licenses Renewals

• 29-04-2016 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I Just dropped in my 2 restricted pistol licenses to AGS in Limerick. What's happening around the Country? My info is they are being issued around in other Divisions. After refusals and Court Cases in 2009/2010 and 2013 I am hoping good sense will prevail.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I got mine this year. Quick interview, and nice (and i'm not being a dick, it was pleasant) chat with the Chief Super and i got the license. Three weeks in all. My Father too.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I handed in 3 FAC1 in Clare 1st April one of which is Restricted no receipt for it as yet but have gotten receipts for the other 2 from the Superintends office end of last week, hopefully they'll all get issued...even with the weeks of delay I'd be happy just to have them all issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 k31

Hi, All the above catagory of licenses in Dublin Metropolitan North division were up for renewal last November. Dident hear of any refusals and most lads I know had them issued in 4-6 weeks. Don't think you will have any problems this time round.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aa_

I'm new to this. Are all pistol licences renewals, or can someone apply for one if they've never had one before? I think I read somewhere that they stopped issuing new licences a few years ago.

Restricted pistols (namely short firearms) can only be licensed if you held a license for it on or before the 8th November 2008.

You can currently license/apply for a .22lr pistol once it only that caliber and the mag can hold no more than 5 rounds.

Renewals are issued to those that hold licenses and intend to keep licensing them. This applies to restricted and non restricted pistols.

For anyone wishing to get one they must submit an application in the form of an FCA1.

The big red announcement at the top of the front page can bring you through all the basics of applying for a firearm.

the process is the same for a pistol as a rifle as a shotgun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 aa_

OK Cass, thanks for clarifying that.

I handed in 3 FAC1 in Clare 1st April one of which is Restricted no receipt for it as yet but have gotten receipts for the other 2 from the Superintends office end of last week, hopefully they'll all get issued...even with the weeks of delay I'd be happy just to have them all issued.

Having to write a letter now for the restricted centre fire " good reason and specific use" all part of it... Other applications granted..

2/3 of the way there lad. Hope it goes through for you and based on what i'm hearing from around the country things seem to be going more smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Having to write a letter now for the restricted centre fire " good reason and specific use" all part of it... Other applications granted..

An utterly obnoxious man in both manner and attitude to any gun owner who has had the misfortune of dealing with him.This is from personal experiance his own written garda reports on me p[ersonally and others experiances here.

He has categorically stated in court he is anti gun ownership and belives no civillians should own any type of firearm and has been quoted as such in the press from a court case back in kerry in the early days around 2009.
    Get a liscense off him for a restricted without problems and then i would belive tings are going right here for once.Heres hoping!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Im in the process of waiting on my non restricted pistol renewal, I have not heard anything back in the way of renewal paperwork yet. At the time I handed in the renewal paperwork, I actually met, not the FO, but the sergeant who deals with it/submits to the superintendant? for the first time.

By my own admission, I submitted it later than I should have for one reason or another, so they didnt have the full 3 months.
    I recently made a follow up enquiry and spoke to the sergeant again and said I was concerned given that I had not heard anything and I would soon have an out of date license for my pistol, I was told not to be concerned and that he had about 20 renewals on his desk, but thats all well and good but isn't enough to alleviate my concern that the conversation could be forgotten genuinely or otherwise.

Should I be writing a letter? and to who? the sergeant? with same letter to the district superintendant? deliver by registered post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

cerastes wrote: »

Should I be writing a letter? and to who? the sergeant? with same letter to the district superintendant? deliver by registered post?

An email should do the trick. It's on record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Other applications granted..

Do you mind me asking were the other two for pistols?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

goz83 wrote: »
    An email should do the trick. It's on record.

I did not realise superintendents emails were available, I'll look it up.
    Ive found the Gardai to be reluctant to give out details, I didnt expect an email would be available or they could be getting bombarded by some sorts as a means to waste their time. Unless you mean ask for it, which I had not, but consider the reply will be, we dont give that out.

boc121 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking were the other two for pistols?
    Apps for one pistol Hammerlli .22 and a centre fire rifle unrestricted.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    An utterly obnoxious man in both manner and attitude to any gun owner who has had the misfortune of dealing with him.This is from personal experiance his own written garda reports on me p[ersonally and others experiances here.

He has categorically stated in court he is anti gun ownership and belives no civillians should own any type of firearm and has been quoted as such in the press from a court case back in kerry in the early days around 2009.
    Get a liscense off him for a restricted without problems and then i would belive tings are going right here for once.Heres hoping!

Aplication refused on different grounds than what he questioned me about, so ive replied to his refusal (answering his concerns) with a small of hope of keeping it out of the courts.

Typical of that man... Hate to say this Tack,but he is one of those Cheifs going by previous experiances of fellow posters here in your district that wil only give it to you in a court.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Just back from Holidays to find 2 restricted pistol grant notices. 9mm and .22 Sig's. Only extra condition "maintain a log of all ammo purchased and expended during lifetime of certificate". No problem with this at all.

Delighted after 2 previous costly court cases to have arrived at a situation where it was granted without any interviews, hoop jumping or cajoling.

Now....back to the range.

GOOD TO HEAR!!!:D
    Thats a new one the" maintain an ammo log"..So do you still have the only restricted .22 pistol with a magazine restriction of 5 shots condition as well?:rolleyes:
    See you on the line sometime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    GOOD TO HEAR!!!:D
    Thats a new one the" maintain an ammo log"..So do you still have the only restricted .22 pistol with a magazine restriction of 5 shots condition as well?:rolleyes:
    See you on the line sometime soon!

.22 is restricted to 6 shots. Only 1 in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

knockon wrote: »
    .22 is restricted to 6 shots. Only 1 in Ireland?

I heard of a .40 restricted licence with a 6 round mag restriction as he wanted it for 1500 comps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement