Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Laptop should I get?

• 29-04-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello All

Can anyone help, my Dell Laptop passed away some time ago - probably the last time I logged in here :). I am looking for a laptop that can do general email, facebook, surfing, music, netflix and scanning old photos and storage - will also store photots external. Also want a DVD/CD writable as I like to make my own CD's for the car and hopeully DVD;s with family pics.
    The two middle range I am looking at are:
    HP 15-af156sa 15.6" Laptop = €360 - €390 on Currys. Windows 10
    HP 15-ac018na Intel Pentium 15.6 Inch 4GB 1TB Laptop in Argos = €370 - free upgrade to Windows 10 - also €100 voucher

Any advice on which is the best?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

the Argos one is good value but they aren't that great in terms of performance. After a year you will find it going slow and i think you should aim for at least an Intel i3, something like this. Its got the i3, 4gb ram, 1tb HDD and its a Toshiba, Ive owned a few and never give trouble.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4247443/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%252C%2BPCs%2Band%2Bphones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CLaptops%2Band%2Bnetbooks%7C14419039.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dellinspiron

Thanks, not fond of Toshiba - bad experience from the past. So probably better sticking with HP with I3 processor?

i have a Lenovo b590 i3 laptop for work and i have many applications on it, and it runs like a champ. i used to have a processor on my old laptop similar to the above mentioned but it just couldn't handle any big programs, was slow. So that's why i myself am recommending an i3 at least as you are investing about 400 into a laptop, why not get one that will last longer and perform. In regards of HP brand, i never owned one so i cant comment on them, but acer and toshiba are the 2 brands i like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

This is a cheaper HP with excellent specs.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/m/p/1886839

Thanks all, off to Curry's it is so :)

• Advertisement

Thanks all, off to Curry's it is so :) - have a voucher to put towards this so won;t feel the pinch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Lenovo's are good build,after you remove the spyware.

Samsngs are pretty good.

Make sure you get something with at least an i3 processor, and 4gb of ram. Anything else is up to you.

Will do, looking for 4gb of ram min and 1tb of storage - will go for i3 from comments above. Now to get the best bargin :)

HP Pavilion 15-ab269sa 15.6" Laptop in currys, a good choice?
    I can't post the link as I am a new user?

HP Pavilion 15-ab269sa 15.6" Laptop in currys, a good choice?
    I can't post the link as I am a new user?

its a good laptop, should tick all your boxes

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil duffman3833 - will go for that so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Thanks all, off to Curry's it is so :)

Wouldn't recommend buying from Currys.

If you do though, do not buy any extra warranties or antivirus/setup etc. They are a rip off. You can get very good antiviruses online for free.

Going with Currys as I have a voucher to put against the laptop - but not buying the extras, have antivirus from family laptop and have bag, wireless mouse etc. Can't see any other place who is selling this laptop - DID have exdisplay :(

Advertisement