Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors fees conveyancing

Options
  • 29-04-2016 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Recently sold my house professional fees were 1,000+ post +vat.
    Now purchasing and have been quoted 1200+80 telephone +vat.

Is there more work involved for solicitor when purchasing a house?

Go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Paid 1000 all in, incl vat a few years ago. Join your local credit union?:) They usually have a deal/best deal with local solicitor/s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Gomango wrote: »
    Recently sold my house professional fees were 1,000+ post +vat.
    Now purchasing and have been quoted 1200+80 telephone +vat.

Is there more work involved for solicitor when purchasing a house?

Go

Usually more work purchasing. It is buyer beware so there is more responsibility and checking when purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Also there's registration work involved when purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gomango

Thanks for the replies.

Just for others searching this topic the above are Dublin prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭abff

When I bought my house many years ago, solicitors' fees were expressed as a percentage of the price paid. Is it more common nowadays for a fixed fee to be quoted and, if so what would be a typical fee for selling an apartment in Dublin. And would there be any saving in the fee if the solicitor handled the purchasing of the apartment when it was originally sold as a new build?

On a related topic, what are typical estate agents' fees these days in Dublin? The most recent thread I could find on this dated back to Celtic Tiger days and I'm sure things have changed somewhat since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gomango

abff wrote: »
    When I bought my house many years ago, solicitors' fees were expressed as a percentage of the price paid. Is it more common nowadays for a fixed fee to be quoted and, if so what would be a typical fee for selling an apartment in Dublin. And would there be any saving in the fee if the solicitor handled the purchasing of the apartment when it was originally sold as a new build?

On a related topic, what are typical estate agents' fees these days in Dublin? The most recent thread I could find on this dated back to Celtic Tiger days and I'm sure things have changed somewhat since then.

No solicitors don't charge % anymore. I doubt a solicitor would give a discount because you used them before! They charge professional fee + VAT + any extras.

As above mine were 1000+vat add in sundries and land registry searches etc. total including vat was 1500.

Estate agents fees were 1.25% of sales figure + 23%VAT.
    You also pay marketing fees to estate agent mine were 650+VAT ( currently disputing this as we agreed 500+VAT).

Gomango wrote: »
    No solicitors don't charge % anymore. I doubt a solicitor would give a discount because you used them before! They charge professional fee + VAT + any extras.

As above mine were 1000+vat add in sundries and land registry searches etc. total including vat was 1500.

Estate agents fees were 1.25% of sales figure + 23%VAT.
    You also pay marketing fees to estate agent mine were 650+VAT ( currently disputing this as we agreed 500+VAT).

Thanks Gomango. That's very helpful.

My question about whether the solicitor's fees might be lower because he did the original conveyancing was not about whether he would offer a discount because we were existing clients - I was just wondering if there would be less work involved because he would have already done all the property searches, etc.

Thanks again.

Just got a quote from the solicitor. Apart from the basic fee being a lot higher than the figures quoted above, he's quoted a figure of 300 for 'estimated fees of managing agents/ management company to furnish replies to second hand managed property requisitions/ MUDS Act requisitions'.

Any idea what this is about? We bought the apartment from new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

abff wrote: »
    Just got a quote from the solicitor. Apart from the basic fee being a lot higher than the figures quoted above, he's quoted a figure of 300 for 'estimated fees of managing agents/ management company to furnish replies to second hand managed property requisitions/ MUDS Act requisitions'.

Any idea what this is about? We bought the apartment from new.

Your management company will charge that to provide answers to questions the purchaser need to know. It's not money for the solicitor if it's an outlay

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GinaI

Hi,can someone recommend a solicitor in South Dublin, Bray or Gorey area? Thanks

• Advertisement

Just in case anybody is getting misled (as I was): the solicitor's fee is only a percentage of the legal cost. I've just been quoted a 'Professional Fee' of €1500. However, there is 23% VAT (€287.50) added to that, and €175 land registry fees for mortgage and €800 fee for land registry fees for transfer (See this list of LR fees , which rise with the cost of the property) and a couple of other things.

The real cost of the legals is just shy of €3,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

Hi Fuaranach,
    I just received a quote from one of the solicitors that I contacted and yes, it's around the 3k mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Just in case anybody is getting misled (as I was): the solicitor's fee is only a percentage of the legal cost. I've just been quoted a 'Professional Fee' of €1500. However, there is 23% VAT (€287.50) added to that, and €175 land registry fees for mortgage and €800 fee for land registry fees for transfer (See this list of LR fees , which rise with the cost of the property) and a couple of other things.

The real cost of the legals is just shy of €3,000.

Those aren't solicitor fees.

Those aren't solicitor fees.

Well, all 3k is the amount which is paid to the solicitor. It doesn't matter to most purchasers what the breakdown of the legal costs are, and many people would surmise, if not assume, that the Professional Fee is synonymous with the overall legal fee. There is no harm in making it very clear that the Professional Fee is only around 50% of the legal cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Well, all 3k is the amount which is paid to the solicitor. It doesn't matter to most purchasers what the breakdown of the legal costs are, and many people would surmise, if not assume, that the Professional Fee is synonymous with the overall legal fee. There is no harm in making it very clear that the Professional Fee is only around 50% of the legal cost.

Actually you pay stamp duty to the solicitor too. And in fact you pay the deposit on contract.

He only keeps the fees.

Advertisement