Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice regarding a damaged phone?

Options
  • 29-04-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

My sister bought a second hand LG phone last December (got a year warranty). It stopped charging a few weeks ago.

She dropped it back at the store to get it fixed.

The store sent it to LG to get it repaired. LG came back saying the charging port is very badly corroded (water damage) so they won't repair or replace it.

My sister asked to store themselves to repair it. They said they can try:

If they can't, no cost to my sister, but she won't have a phone.

If they can, it'll cost her a fair amount.

She never dropped the phone in a puddle/left it in the rain etc.

I'm having a hard time believing the corrosion is her fault considering she only got it in December. As it's second hand, there's a chance the previous owner did the damage and it's only affecting the phone now.

What are her rights regarding getting it repaired or replaced with the store? Surely the onus is on them to make sure the phone was fit to be sold in the first place?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if the phone is water damaged that will invalidate any warranty with the phone. Just because your sister did not drop it in a puddle doesnt mean the previous owner didnt do so. How this means the phone wasnt fit to be sold in first place i have no idea. its a logical leap too far for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You can get moisture in ports just having a phone in a pocket or as I came across recently a phone close to a ladies chest .
    So you don't have to drop a phone in a puddle or bucket of water to get moisture damage

Gatling wrote: »
    You can get moisture in ports just having a phone in a pocket or as I came across recently a phone close to a ladies chest .
    So you don't have to drop a phone in a puddle or bucket of water to get moisture damage

more info required :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

if the phone is water damaged that will invalidate any warranty with the phone. Just because your sister did not drop it in a puddle doesnt mean the previous owner didnt do so. How this means the phone wasnt fit to be sold in first place i have no idea. its a logical leap too far for me.

Thanks for the reply.

What I mean by this is that surely the store cant just wash their hands of the entire thing after selling a phone that already had water damage? That's just tough luck for the buyer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

What I mean by this is that surely the store cant just wash their hands of the entire thing after selling a phone that already had water damage? That's just tough luck for the buyer?

Unfortunately it's your word against theirs. They will say it wasn't water damaged when they sold it so unless you can find a way of proving how long ago the damage happened you probably won't get far.
    Even things like using the phone while walking in the rain or bringing it into a steamy bathroom can cause damage.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it's your word against theirs. They will say it wasn't water damaged when they sold it so unless you can find a way of proving how long another damage happened you probably won't get far.
    Even things like using the phone while walking in the rain or bringing it into a steamy bathroom can cause damage.

Well that sucks:(

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

did you buy it second-hand from a shop or a private seller?

did you buy it second-hand from a shop or a private seller?

Bought it second hand from the same shop mentioned in the OP.

Advertisement