Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent increase out of blue

Options
  • 29-04-2016 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭

Our landlord wants to increase the rent from 800 to 850 next month. I believe he has to give 90 days notice. Also we're not there 2 years until christmas so does he also have to wait until then?

Im slightly reluctant to make him wait until Christmas anyway in case he increases it to 900, the way rents are going he probably could. My best bet may be to take this increase now and then use the 2 year law to help cover me from any future raises. I'll have a deposit saved within in the next 2 years.

Am I making sense? Should I ask for a lease to prove that rent went up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You're right, he must give 90 days notice and he must also wait til you're there at least 2 years from the start of the tenancy. You could accept the increase now, but let's say you save your deposit in 2 years, you'll have 24 months at €50 above the current rate (€1200 more) or a rent increase at Christmas for 16 months at maybe €100 above (€1600 more). The difference is only €400.

The problem I think you might encounter is that the landlord isn't up to date with the legislation and doesn't know he can't increase it for two years. That way he might feel cheated if you accept now and he can't raise it again next year and he could try and get rid of you (legally or illegally). If you're willing to work with him and let him know his obligations he'll be more willing to let you stay for the full length of time and you'll have more security for only €400. I guess it comes down to your relationship with the landlord and what the market rate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

looking at whats available, we would have to pay about 1k+ if we had to move but for bigger houses, there's just nothing available. Makes me think pay the 50 and shut up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I would have signed a lease for a year but nothing was ever done when it ran out, Should I get one or does it make any difference? Thanks for your reply by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

IvoryTower wrote: »
    looking at whats available, we would have to pay about 1k+ if we had to move but for bigger houses, there's just nothing available. Makes me think pay the 50 and shut up...

Ah, but if the landlord tries to get rid of you because he can't raise the rent again next year, then you're looking at an increase of €200 for the rest of the time. So that's 12 months at €50 and 12 at €200 (€3000) which puts you down another €1400 over the 2 years.

This is all based on worst case scenarios which probably won't happen but it just shows that you could be worse off if you just let the increase happen now.
    IvoryTower wrote: »
    I would have signed a lease for a year but nothing was ever done when it ran out, Should I get one or does it make any difference? Thanks for your reply by the way

You're on a Part 4 tenancy, your rights continue in 4 year cycles and you have certain protections from termination apart from specific reasons such as the landlord intending to sell or move in. You don't need another fixed term lease to be protected by this.

Advertisement