Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreadnought

Options
  • 29-04-2016 4:32pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dreadnought! :)

The beta is open and I managed to get a code last night whilst watching Sir Scoots on Twitch. Seems like streamers have been given a hundred odd codes for sharing, so keep an eye out if you're interested in having a look at the beta without having to buy into their early access/beta programme.

Having watched a fair bit of it in action last night (didn't get to play a lot cause it was late and then the servers dropped for an update I presume), it looks pretty fun. Nice take on the "class based shooter" style of game that's making such a big resurgence at the moment mostly in the first person space (Overwatch, Battleborn, etc). It's got a LOT of customisation and upgrade options for your various ship classes in your fleet and even each class has variant base ships.

Looks like it's going to be free to play with micro-transactions and avoids pay to win by locking upgrades not only behind (in-game) currency, but also an XP requirement. Pretty reasonable and decent for a free game. So it's pay to reduce grind rather than win.

The action looks pretty hectic if 3 or 4 ships are close range and getting stuck into each other. lots of play-styles and tactics catered for between the super tanky Dreadnoughts and the sniper Artillery ships and the sneaky cloaking Corvettes. There's even a healer ship :)

I'm looking forward to getting properly stuck into it this evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they sent me a code if anyone wants it as I was in previous play tests?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd take it if it's still going.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Can't log in atm, they say there's queuing going on and it's delaying everything. Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Open Beta is going well.

Had a fantastic match where 4 of my teammates came into the lobby as corvettes so I just went with it too. 5 corvettes wizzing around the enemy. We won 100 to 10. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Overheal wrote: »
    Open Beta is going well.

Had a fantastic match where 4 of my teammates came into the lobby as corvettes so I just went with it too. 5 corvettes wizzing around the enemy. We won 100 to 10. :D

Is it open or closed? Website doesn't suggest open. I've signed up but is this worth splashing $10 to gain access?

• Advertisement

Screw it I bought into closed beta.

Initial opinion. Looks better than it plays. It's VERY confusing and I particularly dislike the camera angles and ship movement. I was hoping for more of a WoT/WoWs in space. I'll keep with it for a bit but I don't see much longevity in it.

Also the game DESPERATELY needs an auto forwards/backwards command. If I'm moving glacially slowly I don't see why I need to keep my finger on w all the time.

I'm loving this, I tend to do pretty well when playing as a healer (and will always do so if no one else has picked one at the ready screen). My main source of amusement though is a Battleship - it's got that tasty mix of speed and firepower that that makes the game so fun for me. Thoroughly enjoying it, will be for a long time yet. Am looking forward to the full launch, am happy to throw money at this game and developer for the work so far.

My highly advanced and futuristic spaceship has no strafe. I realise now that's one of the reasons why the ships feel so wrong.

The game also badly needs more defined weapon arcs and depending on class, weapon rotation speeds. It would help define roles, tactics and placement just like in WoWs. Right now it's just a bit of a silly free for all. I shoot here, I shoot there, up down and so on and so forth. THere's no real waiting for bringing my guns to bear and exposing myself to incoming fire.

huh.... That's exactly the opposite of what I'd say :) I've often been in a game and the team gets itself organised where a dread wanders into a firing line, tanks a lot of damage, retreats and allows the pincer to close with battleships and/or artillery catching out whoever took the bait. I think the game's simplicity belies it's depth. Space ships not having a lateral thrust/movement is the conceit that makes it a game - it's the age of sail in the future, the cannons just go pewpewpew instead of BOOM! :)

Advertisement