Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with 2 small kids

Options
  • 29-04-2016 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping to get some advice from experienced parents that have travelled with young kids.

We are setting off to France for 8 days in the middle of August for a wedding with our 2 kids (he will have just turned 3, and other will be 8 months). We have been away to France 2 years ago on the ferry when our first was 12 months. It was a bit stressful and sadly to be honest we just couldn't wait to get back to home routines. So I'm hoping that a few tips might help ease the stress a bit

We're flying from T2 Dublin on Friday afternoon and back the following Saturday evening. We will be hiring a car from from Lyon, driving 2.5 hours, booking into a hotel on the Friday, then we are spending a week on a campsite in an air conditioned mobile from the Saturday onwards. The wedding is on the Saturday.

Luckily, our family will be there too, so its Granny/Granddad, their 4 cousins who are a bit older but they get on great. I'm hoping this will be a great benefit and they will be able to play together, allowing us to relax a little.

I'd love to get some advice for the time in the airport - making our way through security, at the gate, entertainment etc, but also the time in France and advice for the campsite. Is there anything that we shouldn't do without or should get as soon as we arrive?

Sorry if the post is a bit wide open, but really not sure what to expect!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I find the ferry so much easier then flying .
    Bring a soother or a bottle for the baby to suck so that their ears do not pop.
    I bought ready made formula in cartons and sterilized bottles on the flight.
    I would put some films and tv shows on a tablet/laptop for the 3 year old so if he does get bored there is
    something there to cheer him up. Bring a lollipop for take off for his ears to let him suck and bring a blanket on the plane for him to snuggle in.
    Are their car seats plane approved or are you renting car seats there?

Last time we went to a mobile home in France the kids were 4 weeks,15 months,3 and 5 and imo it is the easiest holiday with kids.
    You need to check the sodium content in bottle water before using it for a baby but most bottles will have a picture on them that make it clear that they are suitable.
    If you have a good sling for the baby,I find it the easiest way to deal with airports and airplanes and travelling.
    France is much more child friendly then here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I second moonbeam with the sling - but be prepared that you have to take baby out of it during security check.
    They have a family lane in T2, which is not that packed and you can take your time.

Be prepared that if you bring a buggy ( you can bring it to gate in Dublin) you may not get it at the gate at your destination (german airports are a b*tch for that) and you may have to carry baby and hand luggage etc all the way to the baggage belt, which may be miles away. So bring the sling :p you can also bring baby food, never had any issues ( even fruit pots and sippy cups etc for the older one).

For the flight, just bring an ipad or tablet, and the usual entertainment like crayons and books etc. aerlingus are great with kids, we always got to sit in the very front (as you cant checkin online with an infant, unless that has changed in the past 4 months - also something to factor in when travelling!) and they may let you check in hand luggage for free, so pack accordingly. We have little ride- on suitcases for the kids and they love it, also means you dont have as much to carry.

We fly twice a year and our kids are two and four, so they know the routine at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

You probably will be left minding the 8 month old a lot of the time. We had one of those large yellow inflatable 'seats' in the past for the pool. We also had a jacket type thing with aero board built into it. These were good for the pool.

We always flew Ryanair & the buggy arrived out without delay to the front of the plane at our destination.

You're 3 year old will have a great time with the extended family. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

LaLa2004 wrote: »
    You probably will be left minding the 8 month old a lot of the time. We had one of those large yellow inflatable 'seats' in the past for the pool. We also had a jacket type thing with aero board built into it. These were good for the pool.

We always flew Ryanair & the buggy arrived out without delay to the front of the plane at our destination.

You're 3 year old will have a great time with the extended family. Enjoy!

Thanks for that. I also heard a tip today to pack a collection of small new toys for the plane/travel time. They will take more interest in brand new toys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Get the concierge service at the airport. Makes travelling with kids so much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Get a cheap colouring book and crayons to keep the toddler amused

Advertisement