Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening an Irish bank account if non Ireland resident.

• 29-04-2016 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi Guys,

I live in the UK but I qualify for Irish Citizenship without any quirks, just a matter of filling in the forms and enclosing a cheque, but have never got round to applying for a passport, without. My life is in the UK, but I don't even have a valid British passport.

There is an outside possibility that I might move to Ireland for a while.

The next time I come over, I want to open a current account in Ireland just to have it in case.

I'm of Irish heritage with a lot of family in Ireland. I had an account or two with my grandparents address but the accounts will be long dormant and deactivated. Obviously in those days the address was a simple locality.

Would I have any difficulty in opening a current account in Ireland in this day and age, despite not actually living there ?

In the UK, we have a postcode system which is so intrusive they can get your shoe size and inside leg measurement.

Could I open an account giving a relative or friends address, although I don't actually live there ? Or would the advent of postcodes in Ireland make it difficult ?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭horse7

Every house now has a postcode and difficult enough to open a bank account even for ordinary locals. Utility bill,driver license, passport, it's all on bank web pages. And remember if your like me paying your bills on line, forget it, they won't accept same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I am not Irish but was looking to open an account to handle a house purchase in Ireland. I visited the local branch on one of my trips here and had no problems opening an account without an Irish address. Had all my usual ID documents, explained what I was doing and went ahead with no issues.

The Irish post code system, like the UK one, identify;'s houses not the occupants. A temporary address, like a relatives, should be no problem. A PPS number helps as well.

TT

Advertisement