Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get vaping banned- RTE News

Options
  • 29-04-2016 8:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the vaping segment on RTE NEWS yesterday.

I vape.

This was surreal, behaving as if they were stoned.

The throwing shapes etc.

Take a break and check out these lads vaping big style on RTÉ News http://jrnl.ie/2742273

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It was completely exaggerated, some clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

One of the young lads from the clip posted under that article saying RTE interviewed them for about 10 minutes then asked them to do a few tricks, the end result was edited down to make it look like this is your average vaper ... RTE ... only they could take a positive and put a negative slant on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

Yeah, I get the sense that the video footage was edited for RTE to put their slant on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

This is YOUR BRAIN on VAPOUR

Demonisation at it's finest! Well done The Daily RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

8mm wrote: »
    This is YOUR BRAIN on VAPOUR

Demonisation at it's finest! Well done The Daily RTE.

Why blame RTE?

How did the participants think they were going to look, being in full knowledge they were being recorded by RTE?

• Advertisement

Why blame RTE?

How did the participants think they were going to look, being in full knowledge they were being recorded by RTE?

RTE chose what to show and knew exactly what they were doing.

The naive are easily manipulated.

I know how it goes with these pieces, they send a camera crew out, they have a bit of 'craic' with the boys, get them comfy, they record them for 10-20 minutes, asking all the expected question. Tell them they will edit out and hic-ups or stuttering parts [they won't] Then, for some more 'craic' they ask the lads "just before we go, show us yer tricks boys" ... and that's all they use in the end. I've been on the other side of it, it's so easy for them to manipulate via editing. The guys are young, they didn't have a clue, let's be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I know how it goes with these pieces, they send a camera crew out, they have a bit of 'craic' with the boys, get them comfy, they record them for 10-20 minutes, asking all the expected question. Tell them they will edit out and hic-ups or stuttering parts [they won't] Then, for some more 'craic' they ask the lads "just before we go, show us yer tricks boys" ... and that's all they use in the end. I've been on the other side of it, it's so easy for them to manipulate via editing. The guys are young, they didn't have a clue, let's be fair.

What "tricks"?

If there were any tricks I must have missed them.

Don't shoot the messenger and all that.

Maybe they're trying out for Hogwarts?

ZVoo6RC.jpg

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Exactly. Reminds me of a time a guy I know was interviewed for clay shooting (not sure was it Rte), but did the whole lot then asked him for poses, gun over each shoulder, lock stock style, aim the gun at camera etc. Had the Cop on to decline.
    Didn't watch it yet but was it in relation to the report from the royal collage of physicians yesterday?

• Advertisement

What "tricks"?

If there were any tricks I must have missed them.

Don't shoot the messenger and all that.

Who's aiming?

We're just discussing the actual topic, RTE made a fluff of what could have been a nice piece on vaping. As for 'tricks' - I use the term VERY loosely when it comes to vaping. But try looking up 'vaping tricks' - and prepare for some 'wub-wub' tunes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

They look like a bunch of clowns the way they were going on, cmon lads seriously?

They look like a bunch of clowns the way they were going on, cmon lads seriously?

Of course they do, but that's vaping 'tricksters' in general. None of us wanted that ****e shown as representing the average vaper. But at the same time, that type of vaper is out there. We're not oul' fuddy duddy granny vapers here, all are welcome. Just because some of us are doing it longer, and are more reserved, doesn't mean the more 'hip' vaper should be excluded. I don't like the trickster vapers, but I'm not going to slate them at the same time, I don't own this vaping thing ...

RTE just zoned in on that type, and f**ked it up royally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Of course they do, but that's vaping 'tricksters' in general. None of us wanted that ****e shown as representing the average vaper. But at the same time, that type of vaper is out there. We're not oul' fuddy duddy granny vapers here, all are welcome. Just because some of us are doing it longer, and are more reserved, doesn't mean the more 'hip' vaper should be excluded. I don't like the trickster vapers, but I'm not going to slate them at the same time, I don't own this vaping thing ...

RTE just zoned in on that type, and f**ked it up royally.

I've said it on here before but the reality is that these guys are representing vaping.

RTE could have walked the streets for hours and found regular people using CE4s who were willing to talk on camera but that would have taken hours.

The 50 year old with borderline COPD who vapes has the more interesting and important story to tell than the 20 year old in a bill cap blowing 'jellies'. The latter is a much easier subject to cover from RTEs perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I've said it on here before but the reality is that these guys are representing vaping.

RTE could have walked the streets for hours and found regular people using CE4s who were willing to talk on camera but that would have taken hours.

The 50 year old with borderline COPD who vapes has the more interesting and important story to tell than the 20 year old in a bill cap blowing 'jellies'. The latter is a much easier subject to cover from RTEs perspective.

They could indeed!
    RTE decided to go with colour rather than news, end result the news part got lost. In fairness the lads presented they position well, told no lies and came across as a few lads having crac with a new hobby. This would have been fine in another context but as part of a report which was about how vaping could be a boon to public health was inappropriate. It overshadowed the central point of the item.
    Do I think this was a deliberate attempt by RTE to frame the item negatively? No. I think it was just a poor editorial decision.

The real villains here are ASH Ireland and the Irish cancer society who dismisses the RCP report and continued to push their fear, uncertainty and doubts.
    Remember this item began with a quote from the ICS saying they could not recommend ecigs, yet its the lads get the blame for bad publicity!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Naive and totally awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Clowns. How did they think that would be filmed and not shown, if they want to put themselves forward as spokesmen for vaping, they should know what they're at.

Advertisement