Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit query

Options
  • 29-04-2016 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

I am looking for some advice as I'm new to the renting market. I am due to move in to a new house, sharing with two other girls who have a lease since August. I spoke to the landlords secretary and she said I need to give a months notice if I wish to move (fair enough) and since the over all lease is up in August, if all three of us go then we get our deposits back straight off but if one leaves and they don't they have to find someone to fill the room before they get the deposit back. Does this sound right and can the landlord legally do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I am looking for some advice as I'm new to the renting market. I am due to move in to a new house, sharing with two other girls who have a lease since August. I spoke to the landlords secretary and she said I need to give a months notice if I wish to move (fair enough) and since the over all lease is up in August, if all three of us go then we get our deposits back straight off but if one leaves and they don't they have to find someone to fill the room before they get the deposit back. Does this sound right and can the landlord legally do this?
    Do you have a copy of your lease, have you signed it? Sounds like you have taken over from one of the tenants in a fixed term tenancy agreement. Rather than have a separate tenancy.
    So you've 4 months left in your tenancy, that's very short, is that what you wanted? If above is the case yes it is legal you've become a signatory to the lease albeit 4 months to the end, if someone leaves they can get someone else to take their place ( which is what they've done by bringing you in) or the other 2 can pay the rent between themselves. Each of you is liable for the lease/ rent due as you've jointly signed the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

Do you have a copy of your lease, have you signed it? Sounds like you have taken over from one of the tenants in a fixed term tenancy agreement. Rather than have a separate tenancy.
    So you've 4 months left in your tenancy, that's very short, is that what you wanted? If above is the case yes it is legal you've become a signatory to the lease albeit 4 months to the end, if someone leaves they can get someone else to take their place ( which is what they've done by bringing you in) or the other 2 can pay the rent between themselves. Each of you is liable for the lease/ rent due as you've jointly signed the lease.

I have not seen or signed a lease yet I only spoke to the landlords secretary. I am happy with the 4 months and I am taking over from another girl that was there prior to that. The other two girls said they originally took out the lease together September 1st 2015 and they're not sure if they'll hold it for another year. So am I right in saying that in August 2016 when the lease is up for everyone that I am entitled to get my deposit back without having to find another tenant but if I leave within the 4 months I am liable to to find someone?

Advertisement