Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books

• 29-04-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I was a long distance oarsman (bow - East Coast skiffs), sailor (helm, mast and bow), surfer, kiter and paddler. Involved in upkeep as well as boating of course.

I thought I'd stick up a book recommendation

Currently reading Julian Stockwins Kydd books, there's fifteen of them. Great reads, lots of (easy reading) maritime history. Great holiday stuff, nothing too taxing, well written and researched books. Lots of facts on old school maritime skills.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

For fiction it would be very difficult to surpass the books of Patrick O'Brian. Alexander Kent and CS Forester also are readable.

For British naval history N A M Rodger's 3 volume set is v. good.

What is the main interest? Fact? Fiction? Period? Cruising? War? Trade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Is this a general sailing and boating book recommendation thread?

Two books I thought were fascinating were both on the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race. The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst by Nicholas Tomalin and Ron Hall, and A World of My Own by Robin Knox-Johnston. Two competitors in the same race who had very different experiences to say the least, but it is amazing reading the two and seeing the race from two different perspectives. The race produced brilliant books, The Long Way by Bernard Moitessier is another good one.

Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum is a classic, a great travel book. I saw a hardback, fully illustrated edition in Hodges Figgis the other day and was very tempted. Has anyone else seen it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Brilliant recommendations from both of you, thanks a million!
    What is the main interest? Fact? Fiction? Period? Cruising? War? Trade?

Sorry, I probably should have thought about this before starting a thread on books in the sailing and boating forum, not very clear, just general nautical books. Fiction, fact, historical novels... Anything really, it's not a hugely populated forum, maybe the mods can change the name?
    Conchir wrote: »
    Sorry for the ambiguity again! My leaning is towards holiday reading! Historical novels etc... But, again, if you want to get the mods to change the name of the thread title go for it, it could be a good idea.

Another cracker is This Thing of Darkness by Robert Thompson it's about the genuis, Robert FitzRoy of HMS Beagle, surveying the wilds of Tierra del Fuego, (his charts were still used up until satellite photos!) aged just twenty three with another genius, Charles Darwin. Some good Irish connections with Francis Beaufort Irish hydrogapher that put Darwin and Fitzroy together (Beaufort wind scale). And the disastrous personal consequences of their friendship.

Ten out of ten for this one. Again, thanks for the heads up, I've ordered some, looking forward to getting in to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Two books I thought were fascinating were both on the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race. The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst by Nicholas Tomalin and Ron Hall, and A World of My Own by Robin Knox-Johnston. Two competitors in the same race who had very different experiences to say the least, but it is amazing reading the two and seeing the race from two different perspectives. The race produced brilliant books, The Long Way by Bernard Moitessier is another good one.

Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum is a classic, a great travel book. I saw a hardback, fully illustrated edition in Hodges Figgis the other day and was very tempted. Has anyone else seen it?
    Much of the fiction stuff on sailing is rubbish. There are enough really good real-life books out there to keep one occupied and without numbing the brain.

Crowhurst’s was a sad tale, I was around when it was happening and following the race reports – some had Ford Mustang/Camaro posters on bedroom walls, I had a Nat. Geographic world map with position pins. :o Moitessier was an equally mad (but not suicidal) entrant in that first Golden Globe Race . For cruising (long distance) there is ‘High Endeavour’ by the Smeetons , an entertaining read.
    I’m more into the Napoleonic era RN /History but have lots of others, from whaling to WW2 submariners.

I agree that Slocum’s book is good, and also available free for e-readers. I have a facsimile copy of the first edition (printed in the USA c 1990’s) , it has contemporary illustrations, just one or two per chapter if memory is right. I’m away from my sailing books at the mom., had to divide my library for space reasons (well, mumbled declutter demands by the OTH actually)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

that donald crowhurst book is now a film but cant remember the name of it now. also you can get the Slocum book free in the apple store if your in to E-books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tristan Jones, a legend in his time, wrote some wonderful sailing fiction based loosely on fact. All of his books are immensely enjoyable.

Hope it's ok if I resurrect this thread!

With Enda O'Coineen competing in the Vendee Globe at the moment, it reminded of a book written by him that I have. It's called Sail Ireland and it documents Ireland's entry for the 1989 Whitbread race. It covers the whole thing, from designing and building it, right through to the race finish. It's quite interesting, but probably the best part of the book is the photography, some really great photos throughout.

I've never seen it anywhere for sale, I'm not sure if it's in print. But it's a decent coffee-table style book, probably worth picking up second hand if anyone happens to see it.

OxBdgX8l.jpg

rMQV3TJl.jpg

H4Snxo2l.jpg

I picked up a copy of that by luck years ago in a 2nd hand book shop in Dun Laoghaire, now gathering dust in a book cabinet with a load of other hard back sailing books picked up on amazon

neris wrote: »
    I picked up a copy of that by luck years ago in a 2nd hand book shop in Dun Laoghaire, now gathering dust in a book cabinet with a load of other hard back sailing books picked up on amazon

They do tend to pile up alright!

They do tend to pile up alright!

I got a few good ones actually got 1 from that Whitbread on the ussr boat fazisi written by the designer and another by skip novak who skippered her for a few legs. Have a Dennis Conners one that I need to get reading someday

• Advertisement

I got a few good ones actually got 1 from that Whitbread on the ussr boat fazisi written by the designer and another by skip novak who skippered her for a few legs. Have a Dennis Conners one that I need to get reading someday

Hadn't heard of Dennis, he looks like quite an interesting guy. Might be worth a look

Hadn't heard of Dennis, he looks like quite an interesting guy. Might be worth a look

You never heard of DC before?? The 1st man to loose the Americas cup and win it back. Hes still on go in San Diego with a local race team he has.

Tell me youve heard of Peter Blake at least

You never heard of DC before?? The 1st man to loose the Americas cup and win it back. Hes still on go in San Diego with a local race team he has.

Unfortunately not. My Americas Cup knowledge has some pretty big gaps in it (that will have to be filled)
    Tell me youve heard of Peter Blake at least

Now Peter Blake I do know. He won the Whitbread 1989 with Steinlager 2, so the Sail Ireland book led me onto him. Very impressive achievements in his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

Slightly different angle here, but... I have 2 great books I'm willing to lend for a couple of months. The Boat Restoration Bible and the Boat Electical Bible. I'm ridiculously busy til the new year, so won't need em. Both books excellent and expensive, so happy for someone to get some use out of.

Advertisement