Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of Chainsaw in Housing Estate

Options
  • 29-04-2016 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I'm just wondering what is the story with someone using a chainsaw in a Housing Estate. There's a fella who lives a few houses away who regularly uses one.

I have never complained to him about it myself but his next door neighbour did so last week and was told where to go.
    Is there anything that can be done or is he entitled to work away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'm just wondering what is the story with someone using a chainsaw in a Housing Estate. There's a fella who lives a few houses away who regularly uses one.

I have never complained to him about it myself but his next door neighbour did so last week and was told where to go.

as long as he's not using it during quiet hours he's perfectly entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Thanks. When are considered quiet hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Can't see the problem as long as its during the day, not at all hours of the night and is only for himself and not part of a business

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Is he qualified to operate such machine, if its in a common area has he insurance? This is potentially a serious health and safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Can't see the problem as long as its during the day, not at all hours of the night and is only for himself and not part of a business

Op quiet hours imo 6/7 pm til 8 am

Seems like he is running some sort of carving business, how much firewood could you need for personal use?

• Advertisement

Yes its during the day and it's in his own garden

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What could he be regularly using one for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What could he be regularly using one for?

Cutting timber or carving.

He burns nothing but timber and he keeps it well stocked. I don't mean he's cutting every day. Could do three or four days in a row and then nothing for a while and then another couple of days.

Why on earth would someone not be allowed use a chainsaw on their own property? Can't believe this is even being asked.

Also anyone can use a chainsaw, no qualification or certification required. Have been using them since I was a teen on the farm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why on earth would someone not be allowed use a chainsaw on their own property? Can't believe this is even being asked.

Also anyone can use a chainsaw, no qualification or certification required. Have been using them since I was a teen on the farm.

Laws changed a while back.
    Its legal to buy and use one.
    Its illegal to lend or borrow one.
    Use of a chainsaw other than on one's own private property may be subject to a license.
    Actually cutting down a tree (even on one's own property) requires a felling licence.

Etc etc.

I used to be licensed (it ran out and I never renewed)- because I was on call for the county council for clearing fallen trees- particularly during winter months.

As for using it in one's own garden for cutting up logs etc- I honestly don't see how or why the person should be proscribed from doing so. Its a two stroke engine- the same as you get in a lawnmower- or indeed a moped- ok, its a bit whiney because there aren't acoustic filters etc- however, any possible harm- is almost exclusively to the person operating the saw- and not to people some distance away (if he is indeed cutting logs etc). Cutting logs can actually be more dangerous than felling trees etc (you're more liable to kickback etc- there could be nails embedded in the timber etc).

All-in-all- as long as the guy keeps on his own property with the saw- and doesn't break felling laws, antisocial hours etc- he is perfectly entitled to chop his logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

What is the issue here? Is it the noise or is it the fact that he is using the chain saw at all?

Considering the other neighbour also has an issue with it there must be something beyond normal noise that can be got in a built up neighbourhood which can be persistant depending on the neighbours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dixiefly wrote: »
    What is the issue here? Is it the noise or is it the fact that he is using the chain saw at all?

Considering the other neighbour also has an issue with it there must be something beyond normal noise that can be got in a built up neighbourhood which can be persistant depending on the neighbours.

It all depends- I have a kango hammer digging up the road outside my bedroom window- as I type here. I can see several of my neighbours out remonstrating with the supervisor. People may have an unreasonable expectation of privacy in a built-up area?

I honestly don't think any complainant would be seriously listened to- perhaps they don't like the noise from the guy using his chainsaw- however, it is his prerogative- and as long as hes not breaking curfew etc- then he has rights too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

What would you report him for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Use of a chainsaw other than on one's own private property may be subject to a license.
    Actually cutting down a tree (even on one's own property) requires a felling licence.

Etc etc.

I used to be licensed (it ran out and I never renewed)- because I was on call for the county council for clearing fallen trees- particularly during winter months.

As for using it in one's own garden for cutting up logs etc- I honestly don't see how or why the person should be proscribed from doing so. Its a two stroke engine- the same as you get in a lawnmower- or indeed a moped- ok, its a bit whiney because there aren't acoustic filters etc- however, any possible harm- is almost exclusively to the person operating the saw- and not to people some distance away (if he is indeed cutting logs etc). Cutting logs can actually be more dangerous than felling trees etc (you're more liable to kickback etc- there could be nails embedded in the timber etc).

All-in-all- as long as the guy keeps on his own property with the saw- and doesn't break felling laws, antisocial hours etc- he is perfectly entitled to chop his logs.
    Not always the case it depends the age of the tree and where its growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Etc etc.

You can cut any tree even protected ones if they are within 100 feet of your property, most lawnmowers nowadays are four stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

milehip wrote:
    Op quiet hours imo 6/7 pm til 8 am

Used to be 9pm to 7.30am, might have changed since I was subject to them.

bladespin wrote: »
    Used to be 9pm to 7.30am, might have changed since I was subject to them.

It's at least 9pm if not 10pm. Why anyone thinks quiet hours are at 6pm is beyond me, 6pm is day time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

It's at least 9pm if not 10pm. Why anyone thinks quiet hours are at 6pm is boyond me, 6pm is day time.

Last time I checked it was

11pm - 7am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

This item may help to address the OP's issue
    http://www.environ.ie/sites/default/files/attachments/pdf_version_of_guide_to_the_noise_regulations_2015_0.pdf
    The 2006 Noise Regs define Night as 23.00 to 7 am, evening at 19.00 to 23.00.

In my own case I will use a chainsaw between 11 am and 7.30pm. I stop at 7.30pm to allow my neighbours watch Coronation street in peace!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

He burns nothing but timber and he keeps it well stocked. I don't mean he's cutting every day. Could do three or four days in a row and then nothing for a while and then another couple of days.

Shouldn't be an issue then - you'd cut up a fair bit of firewood with a saw in no time at all. If it's just for the person's own house, he/she could be only using it on an occasional basis. Different matter if he/ she is processing logs and selling them on.

But where are they getting all this timber from? Gathering firewood, stacking it, cutting and splitting it is time consuming but also takes up a deal of space and effort. Be kinda odd if there are trailer and tractor loads of fire logs being hauled into a housing estate?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

Etc etc.

Are you sure it's illegal to lend or borrow a saw? I know tool hires don't hire them but that's an insurance issue. Also as mentioned felling licences are not required in a lot of cases. This lad while maybe annoying isn't doing anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

It all depends- I have a kango hammer digging up the road outside my bedroom window- as I type here. I can see several of my neighbours out remonstrating with the supervisor. People may have an unreasonable expectation of privacy in a built-up area?

I honestly don't think any complainant would be seriously listened to- perhaps they don't like the noise from the guy using his chainsaw- however, it is his prerogative- and as long as hes not breaking curfew etc- then he has rights too.

If I seen neighbours bitching about my use of a jackhammer etc etc I'd be in no rush finishing. Let them mind their own fn business!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

People may have an unreasonable expectation of privacy in a built-up area?

Privacy? He's using a saw not peering over their fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Noisy b*starring things. Have to use one later. Neighbours must be sick of it

Etc etc.

I highly doubt that, I'd love to see a link to that law.

On the other hand the amount of people I would trust enough to lend my saws to can be counted on no fingers :)

I highly doubt that, I'd love to see a link to that law.

On the other hand the amount of people I would trust enough to lend my saws to can be counted on no fingers :)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1946/act/13/section/37/enacted/en/html

jail it is for me then!

Wanderer78 wrote: »

look at the part of my post in BOLD
    The part about lending/borrowing a chainsaw !!

look at the part of my post in BOLD
    The part about lending/borrowing a chainsaw !!

the rest in jail will be nice then

• Advertisement

Nowhere in your link does it say it is an offence to lend or borrow a chainsaw :confused::confused:

Advertisement