Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of Chainsaw in Housing Estate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Nowhere in your link does it say it is an offence to lend or borrow a chainsaw :confused::confused:

im disappointed now. was looking forward to jail. dangerous ould things though. easy to take a limp off with them. enjoyable work though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Some people have unreasonable expectations about their own area

Myself and my wife and 2 small kids were talking down our road. 5 doors down from our own house there was a tree at side of footpath not in someone's garden. Lifted our 2 year old up to touch the leaves as passing by. Woman in house bangs on her sitting room window shaking her finger while the husband run to the front door equally to tell us off no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

While the law does not specifically mention an exact level or standard of noise that is illegal, it is clear that if neighbourhood noise is affecting your quality of life, then you have a right to complain. If you plan to complain about excessive noise, it is generally recommended that you keep a detailed diary of the times when it occurred, the duration and, if possible, the levels involved.

You should first approach the person or business causing the noise, explain that it is a nuisance and try to come to a mutually acceptable solution.

Applying to the District Court
    If this does not work, the Act allows any person, a local authority or the EPA to complain to the District Court about a noise that is ‘so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place’ and seek an order to deal with the noise nuisance. There is a small fee.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html#l3076c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im disappointed now. was looking forward to jail. dangerous ould things though. easy to take a limp off with them. enjoyable work though

Ah, I'm sure one of the Mods will oblige if you try hard enough :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

BarryD wrote: »

But where are they getting all this timber from? Gathering firewood, stacking it, cutting and splitting it is time consuming but also takes up a deal of space and effort. Be kinda odd if there are trailer and tractor loads of fire logs being hauled into a housing estate?

+1 on this, does your estate border a wood thats slowly being depleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

I'm just wondering what is the story with someone using a chainsaw in a Housing Estate. There's a fella who lives a few houses away who regularly uses one.

How much chainsawing can you do in you own back garden, I mean how much wood do you need for yourself. If it is a commercial activity being carried out you could probably pursue it through planning regs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Laws changed a while back.
    Its legal to buy and use one.
    Its illegal to lend or borrow one.
    Use of a chainsaw other than on one's own private property may be subject to a license.
    Actually cutting down a tree (even on one's own property) requires a felling licence.

I don't know exactly what you mean by lend but some tool hire shops in Cork are still renting them out as I have gotten one recently. They are still available to the general public

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Ah, I'm sure one of the Mods will oblige if you try hard enough :D:D

The fine for cutting down a tree is £5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

The estate residents should all chip in and buy him an Axe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

If he's using it 3-4 days every week then yeah that would be really annoying.

If he's running a business from his home then there are likely some steps that can be taken regarding noise levels. If he's just doing carving then maybe an electric chain saw would do him.

Anyway, I don't mind the occasional use of a saw but if it's more than that then his neighbour has a right to be aggrieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Laws changed a while back.
    Its legal to buy and use one.
    Its illegal to lend or borrow one.
    Use of a chainsaw other than on one's own private property may be subject to a license.
    Actually cutting down a tree (even on one's own property) requires a felling licence.

Etc etc.

I used to be licensed (it ran out and I never renewed)- because I was on call for the county council for clearing fallen trees- particularly during winter months.

As for using it in one's own garden for cutting up logs etc- I honestly don't see how or why the person should be proscribed from doing so. Its a two stroke engine- the same as you get in a lawnmower- or indeed a moped- ok, its a bit whiney because there aren't acoustic filters etc- however, any possible harm- is almost exclusively to the person operating the saw- and not to people some distance away (if he is indeed cutting logs etc). Cutting logs can actually be more dangerous than felling trees etc (you're more liable to kickback etc- there could be nails embedded in the timber etc).

All-in-all- as long as the guy keeps on his own property with the saw- and doesn't break felling laws, antisocial hours etc- he is perfectly entitled to chop his logs.

Unless of course he is a TENANT because then all bets are off!

REXER wrote: »
    Unless of course he is a TENANT because then all bets are off!

Why? No reason a tenant can't use a chainsaw in their garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

If I seen neighbours bitching about my use of a jackhammer etc etc I'd be in no rush finishing. Let them mind their own fn business!!

You seem serious, I know there are people this inconsiderate, so I'm not sure if you are actually being sarcastic.
    While the law does not specifically mention an exact level or standard of noise that is illegal, it is clear that if neighbourhood noise is affecting your quality of life, then you have a right to complain. If you plan to complain about excessive noise, it is generally recommended that you keep a detailed diary of the times when it occurred, the duration and, if possible, the levels involved.

You should first approach the person or business causing the noise, explain that it is a nuisance and try to come to a mutually acceptable solution.

Applying to the District Court
    If this does not work, the Act allows any person, a local authority or the EPA to complain to the District Court about a noise that is ‘so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place’ and seek an order to deal with the noise nuisance. There is a small fee.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html#l3076c

I was thinking along these lines reading the thread, if someone is regularly making that level of noise then it could easily be a nuisance and for his immeditae neighbours it must be very loud, maybe even harmful levels, even if its not, I wouldnt want to put up with that on a regular basis.
    Saying people are being unrealistic wanting privacy in a residential area, but where they cant escape noise like this, yet they are being expected to tolerate an unreasonable intrusion. It isn't like the guy is doing it infrequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Why? No reason a tenant can't use a chainsaw in their garden.

Because all the Neighbours’ would be out with their pitchforks and complaining to the Landlord about the noisy tenent!
    The LL would then pressure the tenant to stop use of the noisy tools just to avoid the hassle.
    <mod snip >

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭orm0nd

[quote=The_Conducto. . Actually cutting down a tree (even on one's own property) requires a felling licence.[/quote]

There are a number of instances where a felling licence is not needled

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

REXER wrote: »
    Because all the Neighbours’ would be out with their pitchforks and complaining to the Landlord about the noisy tenent!
    The LL would then pressure the tenant to stop use of the noisy tools just to avoid the hassle.

<mod snip >

As long as the rent is paid, Landlord won't give two hoots about other neighbours complaining. Unless of course, they also live in houses belonging to him.......

Advertisement