Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's Ye ~ Less Usual ~ Phobia ?

• 30-04-2016 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭

This could be quite interesting, I imagine ~ in between the usual barrage of AH wise cracks ;)

What I mean, by the title question, is like; Other than heights, flying, spiders etc. Anyone got any more unusual ones?

Mine, eg. is wet land, where I can't see my feet for vegetation! :eek: Fcuk That!!!

Simply having to exist, rurally, has hardened me to walking through knee deep rushes. Though, I do prefer it if the ground's dry.

But, a year or two back, I had cause to enter a reed bed beside a lough. That ticked All my fcuking boxes! Eight foot high reeds all around me. Nothing to grab at then, if I went face down in that wet, spongy stuff I was trying to walk on, with my unseeable boots.

Couldn't see where I was. No one else knew I was in there. And, what if a fcuking Wild Boar erupted out of somewhere and came at me?!? (Yes; I've also had a life long 'Thing' about wild boars too. Nasty, scary fcuckers!) I had to get the hell out of there, before I flew into a blind, hair whitening, screaming fit and had a cardiac! Never again!

What gets Your ring piece screwed down like a rusty vice grip? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dying in your sleep.

And flying spiders.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I know a lad who is genuinely afraid of hedgehogs

I don't like the feeling of velvet, it kinda freaks me out, but not enough to call it a phobia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Hippomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

Not really though, I'm wont to be rather sesquipedalian myself.

I'm bloody terrified of needles!

Hedgehog needles made of velvet.

Not your ornery onager

I can't really describe mine. Certain things like the belly of a tortoise, honeycomb, that awful condition where a person has too many teeth in their mouth. So you could say it's how certain things look that sets me on edge.

Another weird one is the wreckage of a ship. Freaks me out.

• Advertisement

I can't really describe mine. Certain things like the belly of a tortoise, honeycomb, that awful condition where a person has too many teeth in their mouth. So you could say it's how certain things look that sets me on edge.

Another weird one is the wreckage of a ship. Freaks me out.

Trypophobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

Quarries freak me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

I know a lad who is genuinely afraid of hedgehogs ...

Sorry; I just had this mental image of him and I, in that reed bed. Me jokingly asking if he realises the place is crawling with hedgehogs. Then a big rustle. Much screaming. Soiling of oneself and chest clutching ..... :D

Tripe

and onions.

Not your ornery onager

Sponges.
    The type you wash with!
    Set my teeth on edge, mouth gets watery!
    Can't be in the same room as one.

Writing this has made my mouth full of water......

• Advertisement

I'm scared to open that link in case a bunch of weird looking pictures pops up at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I've heard of something like that. It's called Trypophobia (fair warning, there's an image on that page that might set you off), a fear of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes or bumps. Things like seed heads, sponges, bubbles, pomegranates and...honeycomb :)

ETA: Damn! Beaten to it :)

maudgonner wrote: »
    I've heard of something like that. It's called Trypophobia (fair warning, there's an image on that page that might set you off), a fear of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes or bumps. Things like seed heads, sponges, bubbles, pomegranates and...honeycomb :)

OMG!
    Thats it! I can't stand the honeycomb stuff! That pattern freaks me out

bubblypop wrote: »
    Sponges.

Writing this has made my mouth full of water......

Swab it out with a sponge! :pac:

I think yourself and Antar are right. Eeeek. Even reading that word "cluster". Vomit.

I'm scared to open that link in case a bunch of weird looking pictures pops up at me.

I think that's a different phobia...

This is so strange. My feet are going ninety and my face has become flushed! I knew I wasn't fond of such things but Jaysus I'm all in a hape now.

I think that's a different phobia...

:p

This is so strange. My feet are going ninety and my face has become flushed! I knew I wasn't fond of such things but Jaysus I'm all in a hape now.

Crap, really sorry. I didn't mean to help trigger your phobia or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Butterflies indoors.

They flap their wings too fast and fly straight at my head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hm, I am a bit skeptical if it's really a fear of patterns or clusters, I can look at honeycomb or any of the other examples with no reaction, it's when they are photoshopped to look like some sort of awful worm disease that it becomes a problem, without the insinuation that there is something inside the cluster it is harmless, at least for me

Butterflies indoors.

+1 and those moths!
    Jaysus, the hairy bodies and sticky legs!
    Urgh, makes my spine shake thinking about them.
    Puke

bubblypop wrote: »
    Jaysus, the hairy bodies and sticky legs!
    Urgh, makes my spine shake thinking about them.
    Puke

Huh, this could be a description of my ex...

:D

Stigura wrote: »
    Sorry; I just had this mental image of him and I, in that reed bed. Me jokingly asking if he realises the place is crawling with hedgehogs. Then a big rustle. Much screaming. Soiling of oneself and chest clutching ..... :D

The vision of two nervous lads in a (reed) bed. One of them says something guaranteed to freak the other lad; they clutch each other. Soiling optional.

Garda checkpoints.

Tax audits.

Starving pigs (a la Snatch).

Last orders.

Confession.

Extreme Unction.

Being born (again).

Being hacked.

Tankslappers.

Drowning kittens.

Pissing myself (again).

Blood in the bowl.

Growing old.

Dentists with hand tremors.

Out of tune singing.

People who clap on 1 and 3.

Monday mornings.

Too late warnings.

Incorrect use of apostrophe's.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I can't look at rice at a hot food counter. If I look at it for more than 5 seconds I imagine it's a huge pile of moving maggots. I feel sick even thinking about it. Also wood lice or spiders I would die if one of them crawled on me. Oh god I feel itchy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

I have trypophobia, there's no way in hell I'd open that link. Stuff like honeycomb, the inside of peppers (all those seeds), abstract art with certain patterns... they all make me physically ill. I'm not sure if it's a recognised clinical phobia in the medical field though, not that I care cos it weirds the bejesus outta me and that's enough.

Not slagging (well maybe a bit):

Trytophobia.

Fear of not getting up.

Not your ornery onager

I can't bear nail files. I can't stand to be in the same room as somebody filing their nails. I don't know how anyone can do it, the sensation is just......eugh. And that horrible scraping sound..... *shudder*

And if anyone has a scratchcard, you will use a coin to scratch it. Because I would sooner rugby tackle you to the ground, grab the ticket from you and rip it to shreds than allow you to scratch it with your nail. *shudders again*

On a semi-related note, I started learning guitar as a teenager but couldn't keep it on because I couldn't bear the sensation of my fingertips on the strings.

So yeah, situations that involve fingernails/fingertips experiencing some form of friction. That's my weird phobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Balloons. Understandable, I guess, because my wicked Stepmother tried to smother me with a balloon in my sleep but I successfully punctured the murder weapon with an oddly protruding milk tooth.

• Advertisement

Horse's head
    In the bed

Chewy steak
    Give a break

Fingernails too short
    To pick out that tune
    Words ending in -wort
    That man in the Moon

July, and June.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I do have a fear of wasps, I just really panic when I think I hear one or see one.
    Used to have a bad fear of heights as a child which is slightly better as I got older?

I do have a very strong fear of losing senses or use of my body, like going blind/deaf or paralysis.
    Not sure if that is a "phobia" or just a worrier.

Crap, really sorry. I didn't mean to help trigger your phobia or anything.

Don't be sorry :) I didn't even know it was a phobia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a hint of cacophobia, it's pretty crippling

In my hometown we had a beauty contest.
    All the local girls signed up.
    No-one won..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Butterflies indoors.

Not just me then? :pac:

Insects in general weird me out. They look weird, they move weird, i don't know what they want. Horrible ****ing things.

The worst run in i had with them was when i was in Australia and a dragonfly that was as long and thick as my pointer finger hovered about 3 inches from my face for about 30 seconds and i just froze in terror and had to endure it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I've mention this before a few years ago on boards. My brother use to go out with a girl who had a friend that had a heart stopping fear of folding a slice of bread in half. She'd get so worked up she would nearly pass out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Bellybuttons (mine and others) and standing in the sea where I can't see my feet but can feel seaweed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

ken wrote: »
    I've mention this before a few years ago on boards. My brother use to go out with a girl who had a friend that had a heart stopping fear of folding a slice of bread in half. She'd get so worked up she would nearly pass out.

Cutting it in half is okay though?

Two of my tutors have odd phobias, one is scared of buttons (her clothes don't have any) and other is scared of seeds on strawberries (might be tryophobia thing?)

Fish.

They freak me out. Horrible flappy, dead-eyed, scaly creatures. With killer teeth. And why anyone would want to eat them, I can't fathom.

And they can walk on land, they're coming to get me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mohawk

I freak out at the idea of walking barefoot on grass. I can't stand seeing someone else doing it either.
    Don't really go into the water in the beach anymore in case I step on something like seaweed, crab, worm, basically anything that isn't sand.
    It's ridiculous I know, but I can't talk myself out of it.

Touching raw meat. Sends shivers down my spine to even type it.

Oh my God I really want to Google trypophobia! It's like a weird compulsion.

Who started this feckin thread!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fish.

They freak me out. Horrible flappy, dead-eyed, scaly creatures. With killer teeth. And why anyone would want to eat them, I can't fathom.

And they can walk on land, they're coming to get me!

Haha. Do you know whats delicous? Squid. Squid is delicous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I cant look directly up into the sky without holding onto something thats grounded.

If I do, my stomach turns and I think I'm going to float away.

Had to give up playing Hurley because of it.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Insects ...... I don't know what they want.

:DExcellent! It's, honestly, never occurred to me to consider what an insect wanted!

That one definitely goes down in the big book of 'Someone in a forum said ....' stories, for down the pub ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I've a fear of palindromes. Curse the fecker who thought up the name for it, Aibohphobia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

mohawk wrote: »
    Touching raw meat. Sends shivers down my spine to even type it.

I'm exactly the same, I can't bring myself to touch it. I get a horrible squirming sensation in my stomach. I'm fine once it's cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Clowns really freak me out.

Everything from the make up, grin, falseness etc

Also why would anyone want to dress as a clown, it's a disguise with access to children. Creeps the hell out of me - really nasty undercurrent about it. Leaves me so cold and uncomfortable.

I've a fear of palindromes. Curse the fecker who thought up the name for it, Aibohphobia

A man, a plan, a canal - Panama

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The colour red

I cant look directly up into the sky without holding onto something thats grounded.

If I do, my stomach turns and I think I'm going to float away.

Had to give up playing Hurley because of it.

Me too!! It makes my stomach fall to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Birds. Not all of them, ducks are fine and I can just about manage tiny little ones like chaffinches as long as there's some physical barrier between me and them. The one time I was at Trafalgar square was back when they still had pigeons and I think I set a land speed record.

And yesterday I was feeding the ducks in the canal near my house when the bastarding seagulls arrived. One of them got way too close and I legged it, got about 25 or 30 feet before I realised, shít, I have a seven year old with me, better go back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement