Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Gyms - cost of living

• 30-04-2016 7:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi,

You always hear the comment that the cost of living outside of Dublin is a lot cheaper. I'm after moving to Galway and can't get over the gym prices. In Dublin, I was in very good gyms over the years for under 400 annual membership.

Most gyms I check out in Galway are well over 400 and some have not so great opening hours or equipment.

This article sort of shows the dear prices outside Dublin ; http://www.the42.ie/best-gym-offers-2016-2541602-Jan2016/

What's the story with Galway gym prices ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Planet Health & Fitness amd Galway City Gym aren't expensive.

The gyms in that article have other facilities that tend to command higher membership prices.

Anyway, you're comparing apples and oranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Warehouse gym have an offer on now 12mts for €250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You always hear the comment that the cost of living outside of Dublin is a lot cheaper. I'm after moving to Galway and can't get over the gym prices. In Dublin, I was in very good gyms over the years for under 400 annual membership.
    The price of gyms factors very little in the cost of living tbh.

A Dublin based business will have higher overheads, but this is cancelled out by larger population base in the catchment area. Net result is cheaper membership

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Mellor wrote: »
    The price of gyms factors very little in the cost of living tbh.

A Dublin based business will have higher overheads, but this is cancelled out by larger population base in the catchment area. Net result is cheaper membership

But a Galway based business will have lower overheads ; )

The market is completely different in Dublin and Galway.

• Advertisement

:confused:
    I think you missed my point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Mellor wrote: »
    :confused:
    I think you missed my point

I think you missed my smiley face.

But ok Dublin = higher overheads but larger potential customers.

Then Galway = not so high overheads but smaller potential customers.

Would that work out about the same roughly when it comes to annual membership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The vast majority of overheads will be the same. Depending on location rent being the only thing likely to be higher.

I think you missed my smiley face.

But ok Dublin = higher overheads but larger potential customers.

Then Galway = not so high overheads but smaller potential customers.

There are plenty of commercial gyms in Dublin that cost a lot more than 400/year. Some have facilities like pool, sauna etc...some don't.

You just seem to notice the higher priced facilities in Galway because there's fewer gyms.

Only if they are larger/smaller in the same ratios. They aren't.
    For example a 50% mark up in rent, unlocks a possible 300% increase in member base (numbers are illustrative).
    Certain overheads will be equal (electricity, equipment etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I honestly don't know how anyone can make money running a gym.
    Rent - 50k?
    Employee costs - 150k? (assuming opening hours 6pm to 10pm Monday to Friday, 10 to 6 on a Saturday/Sunday so 6 staff- note they are not paid great
    rates, light, heat, insurance - 30k
    Equipment depreciation/Maintenance - 10k?

I'm missing loads so round up to 300k
    so for a €400 (including VAT) membership you need 1000 members to break even.
    Running classes open to non members is the only opportunity for making a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Curves Galway

Well said brownej, i think most users/members are not entrepreneurs and subsequently think about what it is costing them not the other way around. Insurances just for a gym alone is higher than other business due to the nature of the environment. as Im opening a womans only gym in Galway in June the bottom line is crystal clear. However no two gyms are the same re the service they offer or the equipment.

Advertisement