Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant moving Out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

In that case I'd say the bicycle is just a polite excuse.

There must be something else wrong with the house or with you for her to need to get out that urgently.

Charge her for the days she was there, and sort the problem out before getting a replacement.

Never had a problem with housemates.

She works at the industrial estate. Bought the bike a week after moving in.

She may had problem with other housemate as she would have the gas heater timer on for a few hours to heat the water while the longer living housemate changes it back to a shorter duration. It was like a game of tennis between the two of them. Maybe heating water in mainland Europe is different as they usually don't have hotwater tanks.

elsa21 wrote: »
    Feel really sorry for the girl, Op, if you don't refund her. We've all been there as students before. I think you should take the hit and refund her the balance, if you fill the room immediately, there shouldn't be a problem anyway.

She is not a student. Mortgage money is taken out at wnd of each month from sisters account. Its May 2nd now. So whatever new tenant I get, their first month tent will be part of end of May mortgage. So no overlap.

Well- the OP did state that she was covered in bruises from the bicycle- I'd be more inclined to give her the benefit of doubt on this one.........

She handled the situation badly- but so too did the OP. He/she knew the person had a bike- and thought it was fine to traipse up and down the stairs with it- when regardless of damage to the walls etc- the girl simply wasn't up to it.

It was a bad idea to begin with- however, no side is innocent here.

Also- I would advise the OP to get off their high horse about the 'rent' having been used to pay the mortgage. The rent is income like any other income- and fully taxable at the OP's sister's marginal rate of tax. It is not the case that it can simply be offset against the mortgage- and if this is what they're doing- its extremely poor tax planning.

The girl should have given more notice yes- however, the OP shouldn't have bitten off her hand to take her money in the first instance..........

I don't think there is an innocent party in all this- I think it should be a learning opportunity all round.

The rent from all housemates only pay part of sister's mortgage. The girl works. Bought bike a week or so after moving in.

She is not Irish and even stated to me after a couple of days she prefer to live on her own than with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

YFlyer wrote: »
    The rent from all housemates only pay part of sister's mortgage. The girl works. Bought bike a week or so after moving in.

The mortgage isn't of any relevance to whether the rent should partially be refunded though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note Helpful on topic posts are appreciated. Leave the modding to the mods and remember the charter ;) Thanks

• Advertisement

Maireadio wrote: »
    The mortgage isn't of any relevance to whether the rent should partially be refunded though.

True. Zero days notice should be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder what advice we would give if the licensee posted here looking for suggestions about the houseshare she moved into that doesn't even have such as thing as safe bicycle storage at ground level, and with a housemate who's determined that no one should ever have a hot shower.

Sometimes it can be helpful to examine how things look from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I wonder what advice we would give if the licensee posted here looking for suggestions about the houseshare she moved into that doesn't even have such as thing as safe bicycle storage at ground level, and with a housemate who's determined that no one should ever have a hot shower.

I would have given the licensee the advice to not go buy a bicycle if she chose to move into a place without storage for a bicycle. I would also advise her that rental agreements are not hotel reservations. Even hotels have a policy of charging if you cancel with less than 24 hours notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If she gave better notice, I'd agree with the others, but a night's notice is cheeky. I'd keep the rent, and hold off on the deposit until the bills comes in, as it sounds like the bills will be a lot higher than normal.

I'm surprised so many people think the op should refund the money, the person gave no notice and is creating work for the op don't see why he should be out of pocket for it.

Safe bike shortage at ground level is not a requirement, plenty of high quality apartment blocks don't even have storage for bikes and people have to bring them up to their apartments.

• Advertisement

Yes I could understand there could be friction building up between the two housemates. The gas timer settings the newer housemate set up had the water scaling. For example. Would have timer on at 9 pm to 11 pm and have night shower at 10.30 pm. Then have settings for 5 am to 7 am and have morning shower at 6.45 am. She is the first up. From experience the water tank would heat in an hour and is well insulated.

I did had to mention to the other house mate when she moved in on February that there are three others in the house that required showers in the morning at around 8 am (and not to be tampering with the morning settings) as we are up for work. She has a more flexible time, as she is in college.

the_syco wrote: »
    If she gave better notice, I'd agree with the others, but a night's notice is cheeky. I'd keep the rent, and hold off on the deposit until the bills comes in, as it sounds like the bills will be a lot higher than normal.

I didn't even take a deposit off her. Was going to wait till she settled in as she was only in the country a few days. Staying in a guesthouse. Didn't have an Irish bank account yet.

She checked out the room on the 11th and was pleased. Said she would move in on the 13th. Was staying in guesthouse till then.

I gave her the keys and said I'll bill her from the 13th. Sister said to me its usually from the date that the tenant decides to take the room.

She opened new Irish bank account on the 18th and transferred the rent money into my sisters account that evening. Sister said better to get first month in cash on the day person moves in and then pay through bank, if tenant prefers, after that.

New bike arrived on the 22th.

Got text on the night of the 29th that moving out next day due to issue with bike. Said she found the place on Wednesday the 27th.

To me the notice was extremely short and there was no mention throughout the week about bike issues.

My thinking is that you should find a new roommate ASAP and refund her the proportionate amount from the date the new roommate moves in. That way there is no shortfall of rent. Holding onto all the the rent doesn't make sense to me, as you would then have more than a month's rent paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yes I could understand there could be friction building up between the two housemates. The gas timer settings the newer housemate set up had the water scaling. For example. Would have timer on at 9 pm to 11 pm and have night shower at 10.30 pm. Then have settings for 5 am to 7 am and have morning shower at 6.45 am. She is the first up. From experience the water tank would heat in an hour and is well insulated.

I did had to mention to the other house mate when she moved in on February that there are three others in the house that required showers in the morning at around 8 am (and not to be tampering with the morning settings) as we are up for work. She has a more flexible time, as she is in college.

I think this small hassle regarding the shower timing is a contributing factor to her moving out and the bike is also a contributing factor. Shes only been there 2 weeks and already there are 2 seperate issues causing problems.

If the tank is well insulated and has a thermostat, these constant readjustments to what time it heats up result in negligible money savings. You said the water is scalding when she is ready to use it, so I have to ask is there a thermostat and does it work properly?

My thinking is that you should find a new roommate ASAP and refund her the proportionate amount from the date the new roommate moves in. That way there is no shortfall of rent. Holding onto all the the rent doesn't make sense to me, as you would then have more than a month's rent paid.

Just to add, yes, the notice period was cheeky. So definitely don't leave yourself out of pocket. Just don't take more than you need to meet the rent either. You'll probably fill the room quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

elsa21 wrote: »
    We've all been there as students before

I doubt very many of us have moved out of shared accommodation with a single day's notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I doubt very many of us have moved out of shared accommodation with a single day's notice.

I did. But I was escaping a violent marriage. The leasing office (it was an apartment in the US) still considered me jointly and severally liable (that is, responsible for the rent with or without my ex-husband's cooperation in paying it and whether or not I was living in the flat) and kept my deposit as liquidated damages as per the written lease. They did bend over backwards to help me find a replacement tenant as soon as practical, and I'm grateful to them for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agreed.

Usually when people do something like this, rather than being "cheeky" (sic), it's because they need to get away quickly due to a safety issue.

Now, it's possible that the licensee is just a cheeky eejit. But we know nothing about the OP, or about the other housemates, so we cannot really judge.

But on principle, I'd always prefer to let people who want to leave go as quickly as possible, rather than have them hanging around "giving notice" but not wanting to be there.

syklops wrote: »
    I think this small hassle regarding the shower timing is a contributing factor to her moving out and the bike is also a contributing factor. Shes only been there 2 weeks and already there are 2 seperate issues causing problems.

If the tank is well insulated and has a thermostat, these constant readjustments to what time it heats up result in negligible money savings. You said the water is scalding when she is ready to use it, so I have to ask is there a thermostat and does it work properly?

Yes the thermostat works. To me having the gas heater on is not an issue. The other housemate been a student may have concern with bills.

Agreed.

Usually when people do something like this, rather than being "cheeky" (sic), it's because they need to get away quickly due to a safety issue.

Now, it's possible that the licensee is just a cheeky eejit. But we know nothing about the OP, or about the other housemates, so we cannot really judge.

But on principle, I'd always prefer to let people who want to leave go as quickly as possible, rather than have them hanging around "giving notice" but not wanting to be there.

First time someone moved out hastily due to issues with housemates or the duplex itself.

• Advertisement

I'd always prefer not be out of pocket, I couldn't give a damn if the person wants to stay hanging around or leave but just don't expect a refund.

I'd always prefer not be out of pocket, I couldn't give a damn if the person wants to stay hanging around or leave but just don't expect a refund.

If you charge up until the new person starts paying rent, there is no shortfall. Why would you hold on to more than that? Citing the hassle of finding somebody new is a flimsy excuse, especially in this market. It's just greedy hanging onto more than you need to bridge the time period between the old and new tenant.

If you charge up until the new person starts paying rent, there is no shortfall. Why would you hold on to more than that? Citing the hassle of finding somebody new is a flimsy excuse, especially in this market. It's just greedy hanging onto more than you need to bridge the time period between the old and new tenant.

Charging up to the day the new tenant moves in would be fine, but some are suggesting refunding everything from the day the person moves out and not covering the vacant period.

I also wouldn't see much wrong with holding onto all the money either. If it was a tenant (rather than a licensee) that moved out of a house/apartment mid-month there is no way they would get part of their rent refunded so don't see this as any different. It's basically tough luck if you suddenly decided to move out with no notice in the middle of the month, you should not expect to see your rent back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note Maireadio welcome to A&P. Posting on topic is welcome, nit picking about language and syntax is not. Thanks

I also wouldn't see much wrong with holding onto all the money either. If it was a tenant (rather than a licensee) that moved out of a house/apartment mid-month there is no way they would get part of their rent refunded so don't see this as any different. It's basically tough luck if you suddenly decided to move out with no notice in the middle of the month, you should not expect to see your rent back.

Ah, but you can't be using tenant rules for a licensee arrangement. They are different things and you can't go by what tenants are held to when it suits you and not when it doesn't. The licensee arrangement is a looser one (one which comes with benefits and disadvantages on both sides) and "reasonable notice" is what is required, which would mean using the rent from the old licensee until a new licensee is found.

Advertisement