Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting - What should I do?

Options
  • 30-04-2016 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Surely an annoying beginner thread but I'd like to get some advice!

I'd like to have a try at Triathlon because I like the sports individually and I like sports that are more individual than team for scheduling reasons. Id be happy enough to start working at it now for 2017.

Here is where I am currently:

Cycling - cycling and racing for years. Mtb mostly and some road. I've a lot of miles in my legs and a good VO2 etc. A week ago I did 3 110 km spins no problem. Traing several days a week for years. Also used to doing interval sessions etc so very comfortable on the bike.

Running - I don't do a lot or consistently but am pretty comfortable when I do. Never really run more than 5k. But I feel it is just a matter of putting the miles in.

Swimming - I like it but I'm poor at it. Just learned some decent technique last year but I didn't keep it up. I think I really need structure and help to build up my swimming.

Would it be a good idea to join a club or maybe just try regular swimming for a few months to crack that part of it? I really think it's the swimming I struggle with especially doing it alone.

I'm generally fit otherwise...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Welcome to triathlon. Your making a wise choice in taking it up :p

I found joining a club a great thing and as well as a training schedule and guidance the wealth of knowledge from clubmates helped.

In saying that if one of the reasons you mentioned preferring individual sports vs team sports is scheduling then maybe training on your own is an option for you.

I would suggest looking for the swimming for beginners thread from last year as its a great resource for bringing on swim ability.

I reckon you should be able to do some try a Tri or sprints before the end of the year if you started now. There are plenty of 12 week training calanders for beginners to dip your toes in this year of you wanted. The season runs until the end of September so you should be able to find one.

One of the big advantages of a club I found is for open water swimming sessions. I would never go into open water on my own and find the club swims great for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

have a look at this thread - I was brand new to tri this year - 2 more booked for later this year now !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057544353

• Registered Users Posts: 48 IllBeGrand

Thanks. That looks like a useful thread. I think I need to find a decent swim coach and maybe a club.

There are plenty of both, where are you based?

There are plenty of both, where are you based?

I work in Kildare, live in Laois often go to Dublin in the evening after work for other activities as it's not too far. Around Kildare might be best though or maybe even Kilkenny. Travel is less important than finding a good coach and an active/lively club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Lots of clubs around..Trilogy, Kikdare, Naas, Eden, Athy.. Have a look on the Triathlon Ireland website And Facebook.

As Bazman said plenty of good clubs around, if Im not mistaken there are a few from Kilkenny around these parts too? Ive seen plenty of representation from them at races and they seem pretty active. if any one else can weigh in?

Thanks the Triathlon Ireland website makes it easy to see clubs by county.

This Try A Tri seems managable http://www.challenge-galway.eu/challenge4all/galway-challenge-for-all-try-a-tri-2/

Are these a good place to start?

Advertisement