Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best set-up for working for an American company?

Options
  • 30-04-2016 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

Have just completed a training course and been offered a job working remotely for a company in the US. The others who were on the course will be employees, but being Irish and not based in the US, this is not an option for me.

Would it be advisable to set up a private company, or just as a contractor, and how ought one to best go about about either of these?

If it makes a difference, the cashflow wouldn't be massive (20 bucks an hour, 15-30 hours a week, for probably a couple of years) no equipment required other than a laptop, and I'm hoping to get a similar remote job elsewhere (though possibly also based in the US).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I would just work as a sole trader in this case. Pay an accountant a couple hundred to sort your tax affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BeAllEndAll

OP, or maybe someone else will also be able to help, but any chance you could point me in the direction of where to do similar? I know about online jobs through Odesk etc. but I hadn't heard of people doing courses to get similar online jobs.

Would be handy for someone looking to make money and live abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

PM sent, but to save any such further queries and PMs from people looking for an easy gig - I just happened across it on a maths jobs website. And the course was in California, and I had to pay my own flights and subsistence for the two weeks' duration of the course, and pre-requisites were a maths phd and some other experience.

Thanks Joseph, I'll look into getting an accountant to sort my affairs when I'm back in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Maths PhD as a pre-requisite might eliminate some people ;)

Sure, it shouldn't cost you much but it's worth paying the couple hundred necessary for an accountant to take care of this for you. They will also give you some advice on if you should work as a sole trader. I'm sure everyone and their Mother can recommend an accountant to you but if you need a recommendation and are Dublin based I can PM you details of mine.

Advertisement