Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOT happy with next door neighbour running an Air Bnb from their house.

Options
  • 30-04-2016 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Our neighbour is running an Air-bnb from his house for the past 6 months, He never asked/informed us about this to date.
    We live in a small quiet cul de sac and have been having plenty of issues with them, due to noise, the fact that different strangers are next door to us every couple of days, looking in our window walking around our property, parking in our drive etc.
    We have to call in to ask them to move their car or not walk around our house on average 5 times a week.
    I would love to know if anyone is having the same type of issues with a neighbour running an air bnb.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Why would he ask or inform you about that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Our neighbour is running an Air-bnb from his house for the past 6 months, He never asked/informed us about this to date.
    We live in a small quiet cul de sac and have been having plenty of issues with them, due to noise, the fact that different strangers are next door to us every couple of days, looking in our window walking around our property, parking in our drive etc.
    We have to call in to ask them to move their car or not walk around our house on average 5 times a week.
    I would love to know if anyone is having the same type of issues with a neighbour running an air bnb.

have you tried talking to your neighbour, perhaps suggesting he/she prints up some notices to inform future guests of what parking spaces they can/can't use, and how to avoid inadvertently trespassing on your private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Walking around your house and looking in your windows?

Have you a fence and some curtains?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

So he is now running business for profit next door like a hotel? Would that not require change in planning compared to long lease sole residence??

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Why would he ask or inform you about that??

Just to be upfront about things, like a good neighbour would if they were having a party or the like.
    If the're parking in your drive, clamp them,50 euro release fee seems reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Just as you're entitled to do what you like with your property, he's entitled to do what he likes with his. Imagine my next door neighbor telling me if I could or couldn't rent out my house. No way Jose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Does the neighbour live in the house?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

LiamoSail wrote: »
    People tend to look into windows, that's kind of their purpose.

In my house the purpose of the windows is to allow light in and allow me to look out. I don't think I'd be too impressed if customers of the house next door started randomly pressing their face against the glass for a gawp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

milehip wrote: »
    Just to be upfront about things, like a good neighbour would if they were having a party or the like.
    If the're parking in your drive, clamp them,50 euro release fee seems reasonable..

Don't do this OP. Re - the "clamping" I'm sure you have more sense anyway, but it couldn't possibly improve the situation.
    They are likely to be tired bewildered holidaymakers trying to find their accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Just as you're entitled to do what you like with your property, he's entitled to do what he likes with his...
    That's not true.

As an extreme example, he can't run a brothel.

Neither can he run a bar, or retail business without planning permission (and additionally for a bar, a licence).

He can't run a fully-fledged accommodation business without planning permission and meeting fire regulations.

And so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Graham wrote: »
    In my house the purpose of the windows is to allow light in and allow me to look out. I don't think I'd be too impressed if customers of the house next door started randomly pressing their face against the glass for a gawp.

I very much doubt people are randomly pressing their face against the glass for a gawp, I'd say it's more a case people's eyes catching the window, a bright window if it's late, and naturally looking.

Seriously, if your window opens to a public or busy area, put up net curtains or ordinary curtains like most people do. Chances are most have as much interest in looking into your house as you have of them doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Air B&B is an absolute disaster for neighbours. Unlike a traditional B&B, it allows temporary guests without any kind of supervision, and unlike a long-term rental, it allows people who are just there for a night or two usually to have a good time. The end result is often a party house with random strangers doing whatever they please without worrying about having to live beside the neighbours long term and with nobody to ask them to reel in their behaviour in the short term.

Unfortunately I don't know if there's anything you can do, OP, beyond contacting the neighbour and explaining that their guests are being a nuisance. As someone suggested upthread, they could take steps to ask their guests to be more respectful. I can see the short-term, entire-property lets being something that becomes legislated further down the line, but until then, the best you can do is to play nice with the property owner and grin and bear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

TheDriver wrote:
    So he is now running business for profit next door like a hotel? Would that not require change in planning compared to long lease sole residence??

No. It's not a hotel. Air B&B is sort of like taking in foreign students. Some houses in Dublin can have up to 10 students as well as the home family in the house at the same time. Granted 10 would be the exception. No need for planning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

A number of posts that fall below the standard accepted on this forum have been deleted. Posters are asked to post constructively. Any further unhelpful posts will attract cards. Thanks

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No. It's not a hotel. Air B&B is sort of like taking in foreign students. Some houses in Dublin can have up to 10 students as well as the home family in the house at the same time. Granted 10 would be the exception. No need for planning

But in those examples, the family are still in the home, so the students are supervised.

AirB&B allows for total property lets: no supervision, like in the case you mention, and also no consequences for the long-term, like in the case of a standard rental. It's a completely different scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Complain to the local council and local TD's - short-term lettings of this kind would be illegal due to planning, except for AirBnB effectively creating a sidestep/loophole.

It's important that the council and politicians hear these kinds of complaints, and are properly aware of how AirBnB rentals are causing a nuisance.

If there is noise outside of acceptable hours, also inform the Gardai and ask them to speak to the owner.

DivingDuck wrote:
    AirB&B allows for total property lets: no supervision, like in the case you mention, and also no consequences for the long-term, like in the case of a standard rental. It's a completely different scenario.

DivingDuck wrote:
    But in those examples, the family are still in the home, so the students are supervised.

OP never said that the owners don't live in the house. But even if they don't it's still not a hotel. A hotel has staff, receptionist etc so air B&B is not like a hotel. If anything, if owners don't live there then it comes under holiday home. Again there is no need for planning permission for a holiday home / guest house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If there OP speaks to the neighbour they can come up with an agreement around fencing and/or appropriate signs.

Realistically there is nothing the OP can do to stop this so its best just to do whatever small changes are needed to get on with it and not be constantly upset by it.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    OP never said that the owners don't live in the house. But even if they don't it's still not a hotel. A hotel has staff, receptionist etc so air B&B is not like a hotel. If anything, if owners don't live there then it comes under holiday home. Again there is no need for planning permission for a holiday home / guest house.

They didn't, but my point is that AirB&B does allow rentals of this nature, so this is the case for many people experiencing these problems, and may be the case for the OP, too.

There is not currently a requirement for planning for this type of enterprise (I never suggested there was), but the OP's complaints make it clear that this doesn't mean there's no need for it.

A holiday home is usually used for the use of the owners and people known to them. A guesthouse is usually operated by the owner or a manager of their choosing, but in either case, there is someone in the property whose responsibility it is to ensure the guests don't cause trouble for the neighbours. In an AirB&B situation, this is not always the case.

OP, I would definitely consider doing what KomradeBishop suggested. If you want to see changes in the legislation regarding this type of thing, you're going to have to let those who could create it know that there's a need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

He should have just left the house empty to suit you. What kind of boundaries are around your property (if any)? Have you got no gates? I seriously doubt that people are walking around your house and looking in your windows. The vast majority of people know not to do things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Re possible legislation, I cant post the link but Berlin has just legislated to bring residential apartments back to long term lets rather than short-term airbnb. This was for a different reason than OP's problem of course, ie to increase the amount of property available for long-term letting tor residential tenants but it shows that airbnb can be regulated if required. With regard to OP's immediate problem, the owner certainly could make it easier on his neighbours and clients by for example giving his house a name to make it more easily identifiable and on the page where he gives clients information about his property there is a list of appliances/facilities so he can state "parking for ONE car" or whatever and suggest where alternative parking is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Haven't read or heard of any problems in Ireland with AirBnB.
    No one on here except the OP has actually encountered a problem. Its all supposition.
    If there was any major issue, I have no doubt the media would have latched onto it. None of them would pass up a negative story on AirBnB or Uber etc.

OP will have a real complaint if its let to students. Not all students now mind but some are a nightmare.

Water John wrote: »
    Haven't read or heard of any problems in Ireland with AirBnB.
    No one on here except the OP has actually encountered a problem. Its all supposition.
    If there was any major issue, I have no doubt the media would have latched onto it. None of them would pass up a negative story on AirBnB or Uber etc.

I'd have a huge problem with it happening in a house next door to mine because I would be of the belief that it compromises security. Furthermore, people buy homes in quiet residential neighbourhoods because that's where they want to live. If they wanted to live next-door to a hotel, they could easily do so for probably far less money.

I'm fortunate enough to live in an apartment where the Management Company/head lease prevents this carry-on, but I have absolute sympathy with those in houses who are experiencing these issues.

Duck, you have no evidence, except for OP post. You have based all your posts on some thing that may largely not exist.

I wouldn't have a problem with it. There is a certain etiquette in most cities around parking etc. One simply doesn't park in another persons driveway.

I am not convinced that the OP is reasonable in this thread.
    I think we are chasing shadows here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Report them to revenue , they have an interest in AirB&b incone , a tax audit might soften yours neighbours cough !!!!!

You'd be late there, Boat, AirBnB have already done that.
    Not a deterrent any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

BoatMad wrote: »
    Report them to revenue , they have an interest in AirB&b incone , a tax audit might soften yours neighbours cough !!!!!

I absolutely hate this argument. Any time someone on boards has an issue with their landlord, there is always someone who suggests blackmailing them with a threat from Revenue. How would you like if someone didnt like and decided to call Revenue on you? Would you find it a pleasant experience to have agents from Revenue going through your bank account and expenses for the last 4 years all because someone disliked you?

BTW if you were in the loop. You would know that Airbnb hands over all the income details of the lettings in Ireland to Revenue. OP's neighbour has nothing to hide from Revenue

Op has right to complain to the police, council etc. The fact that it is air b&b is neither here nor there. First stop should be a friendly chat with the owner neighbour. The trespassing laws are the same for the home owner or air b&b so if there is actually trespassing call the cops. If parking in your drive call the cops.
    No offense but I think op is hung up on the b&b thing. Treat it like you would any other problem neighbour.
    Good luck with it and I hope you get a happy solution

Water John wrote: »
    Duck, you have no evidence, except for OP post. You have based all your posts on some thing that may largely not exist.

I wouldn't have a problem with it. There is a certain etiquette in most cities around parking etc. One simply doesn't park in another persons driveway.

I am not convinced that the OP is reasonable in this thread.
    I think we are chasing shadows here.

The only thing I need evidence of is whether or not the OP has a problem. They say they do, so I'm choosing to believe them.

It's fine that this wouldn't cause issues for you, but you don't have to have a problem with something for it to cause issues for others.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote:

Air b&b report all its clients to the revenue anyway. This was covered by joe Duffy a few weeks ago. The income doesn't come under the rent a room scheme either so its all taxable

Advertisement