Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOT happy with next door neighbour running an Air Bnb from their house.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

To my knowledge Airbnb insure against any damage done by the tenant. I used Airbnb to rent an apartment in New York for my family a few years ago, fantastic service, none of the neighbours were banging on the door complaining.

PS. This should have been part of above post, this new boards layout is a piece of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Air BnB is taxable and a list of hosts given to he revenue

Does anyone know if https://www.homestay.com taxable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

worded wrote: »
    Air BnB is taxable and a list of hosts given to he revenue

Does anyone know if https://www.homestay.com taxable ?

Yes, any reason why it wouldn't be?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Anytime I've rented an Airbnb, I've gone for a good gawk into the neighbour's front windows. Plus I've made sure to be as bothersome as possible...*

I don't quite think I'm getting a full picture here from the OP. What they're describing doesn't feel right.

*may not be the truth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We had a similar issue on our street. House full of short term stayers, partying til 3 and 4 in the morning. The night bagpipes were involved was the last straw for one of the immediate neighbours.

They mentioned it to the owner and a couple of the young folk were given the bum's rush, including Mr. Bagpipes.

No bother since, but the OP is not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I'm confused as to why the Air BnBrs are parking on wandering onto your property. Do you share land with the Neighbour without fencing.
    Either way the best thing to do is contact the neighbours and explain that their guests are causing you the following problems.
    A. Wandering onto my property
    B. Parking on my property
    C. Noise

And asking him what he plans to do to rectify the situation. I would agree with other posters who suggest that perhaps he needs clearer sign posting/instructions for the guests. You can also ask that he only rents to families/ professionals.

Have you looked at his add? Maybe you can say it's not adequate information/instructions for guests.

I can see why this would be annoying/disconcerting. But there is little you can do about it he is entitled to rent to short term lets focus on what you can do be practical and try to improve communication. I don't think it would be unreasonable for your neighbour to trump costs for signage such as private property no parking. And to include clearer instructions on the email he sends to the renters.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I don't think the OP has commented since the initial post. It would be nice to get a bit more info about the problems or hear some feedback on the sensible suggestions about contacting the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP I've rented AirBnB's in other countries a couple of times now & generally there's a folder, or something similar, with bits of information including where to park, what is part of the rental & what isn't etc. Maybe it's a case of having a quiet, civil, chat with your neighbour saying that you've had a couple of problems with cars blocking your drive etc & could they make sure to give clear instructions to those AirBnB-ing in the property.

Also what do you mean by "walking around our house"? Is it that they are walking past on a pavement or walking around the road or actually going onto your property. If it's the former - you don't really have a say as it's a public road essentially. If the latter, again ask the owner to make clear that this isn't on to those who use the property.

Ulitmately though they don't have to inform you if they are renting out the house in any way. No one told us when the house up the road was rented out in our cul-de-sac nor did we expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

davo10 wrote: »
    To this post and the one about needing planning, do B&B's and apartment/houses for rent need special planning permission?

According to AirBnB's own site:
    If you rent more than four bedrooms in a house, where each bedroom is used for the accommodation of not more than four persons as overnight guest accommodation, you may require planning permission under the Planning and Development Act 2000 and the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended).

Here is the page https://www.airbnb.ie/help/responsible-hosting
    They link to the relevant regulations also.

So it seems it you are renting 4+ rooms you do have to apply as it is a change of use to a business.

I do wonder if many people doing airBnB rentals are disclosing this to their insurance or banks as can't imagine they would be happy, but that is another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I don't think any bank would have an issue.
    More income means less likelyhood of missed payments.

4 Rooms would be a lot and could see the point. I think most have just one or two.

Would be interested on the insurance issue. Any experience out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

We've a similar issue the apartment across the hall is now being let Air BnB , its a bit of a pain to be honest. particularly with people arriving late and making a load of noise in the hall which is just outside our room .

We're close enough to town so have had a few stag and hen parties in there for 3 or 4 days and all the noise that comes with that. Called the management company a few times if the people staying over there have gotten a bit rowdy or loud in the middle of the night but not much more can be done really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

cruizer101 wrote: »
    If you rent more than four bedrooms in a house, where each bedroom is used for the accommodation of not more than four persons as overnight guest accommodation, you may require planning permission under the Planning and Development Act 2000 and the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended).

So it seems it you are renting 4+ rooms you do have to apply as it is a change of use to a business.

I wonder if this applies to long term lets too? The 4-bed house across the road from us is rented out, and I saw the sitting room advertised online as a bedroom recently. I understand the dining room also has someone sleeping in it. So they have 6 bedrooms rented out for long-term lets now - do they need planning permission for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I wonder if this applies to long term lets too? The 4-bed house across the road from us is rented out, and I saw the sitting room advertised online as a bedroom recently. I understand the dining room also has someone sleeping in it. So they have 6 bedrooms rented out for long-term lets now - do they need planning permission for this?
    long term lets aren't commercial they are residental
    otherwise renting out a 5 bed would require planning permission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hunter101

Call AGS every time they park on your driveway and complain about it every time. Then bombard local politicians etc. with emails. Suprising what you can get done if you become a nuisance yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

We've a similar issue the apartment across the hall is now being let Air BnB , its a bit of a pain to be honest. particularly with people arriving late and making a load of noise in the hall which is just outside our room .

We're close enough to town so have had a few stag and hen parties in there for 3 or 4 days and all the noise that comes with that. Called the management company a few times if the people staying over there have gotten a bit rowdy or loud in the middle of the night but not much more can be done really.

If you have an apartment, it is quite usual for the lease only consenting to lets of at least 90 or 180 days to exclude just this activity. Read your own lease to establish whether such a clause has been included. If it has, write formally to the management company instructing them that you wish them to enforce the covenant's in your neighbour's lease. Any properly drafted lease will also include such a clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Hunter101 wrote: »
    Call AGS every time they park on your driveway and complain about it every time. Then bombard local politicians etc. with emails. Suprising what you can get done if you become a nuisance yourself

The Gardai will tell it is a civil issue and they will do nothing about it ( thankfully, as why should their limited resources be wasted on petty things like people parking in the wrong driveway? ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

newacc2015 wrote: »
    So you dont see an issue with the Government dragging their heals for 12 years on not being able to evict dodgy tenants in an industry with over 150k properties let? Yet the Government rapidly introduces legalisation on Airbnb, which probably dont even make up 1% of let housing units. The Government couldn't make it any clearer that they hate landlords.

The government does not hate landlords (most TD's are landlords), landlords are just caught in the cross fire. If legislation is passed meaning landlords could kick troublesome tenants out quickly, where would they go? 'Where is my house Joe?' 'The children are homeless' splashed across the front of the Indo.

By dragging their heels the government can kick the can down the road. The chronic shortage of social housing is not in the spotlight as much as it should be and the only victims are landlords. To be honest there is very little public sympathy for landlords and the government are very aware of this and are happy to throw them under the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Diemos wrote: »
    The government does not hate landlords (most TD's are landlords), landlords are just caught in the cross fire. If legislation is passed meaning landlords could kick troublesome tenants out quickly, where would they go? 'Where is my house Joe?' 'The children are homeless' splashed across the front of the Indo.

By dragging their heels the government can kick the can down the road. The chronic shortage of social housing is not in the spotlight as much as it should be and the only victims are landlords. To be honest there is very little public sympathy for landlords and the government are very aware of this and are happy to throw them under the bus.

Mod note Back on topic please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

cruizer101 wrote: »

Here is the page https://www.airbnb.ie/help/responsible-hosting

I do wonder if many people doing airBnB rentals are disclosing this to their insurance or banks as can't imagine they would be happy, but that is another issue.

Pretty certain this applies only if you are renting the rooms separately, ie you're effectively running a hostel. If you are renting your house as a whole, to one person/group, then none of that is required.

Advertisement