Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuam. Is it nice and safe place to live?

Options
  • 30-04-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all.
    Myself and my family are going to buy house in Weir Road, Tuam.
    Is there anybody on boards.ie who could give us some tips and info about that town?
    I wonder if there are nice primary schools for my 2 daughters you could recommend.
    I also would like to know if town is safe and if you recomend that place to rise children and live in peace.
    I've heard many bad reviews about Tuam but most of people who tell me that don't live near that place.
    The biggest issue people have about Tuam are Travelers. Are they realy that bad as people stating they are?
    I don't want to believe to someone who actualy don't come from Tuam.
    I woul be grateful for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't live in Tuam but nearby, I used to work there and dealt with travelers on a daily basis. Never really had too many problems. The travelers in Tuam are pretty settled from what I can see, there are traveler amenities around the town so they have a vested interest in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 galwayreader

luke83 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Is there anybody on boards.ie who could give us some tips and info about that town?
    I wonder if there are nice primary schools for my 2 daughters you could recommend.
    I also would like to know if town is safe and if you recomend that place to rise children and live in peace.
    I've heard many bad reviews about Tuam but most of people who tell me that don't live near that place.
    The biggest issue people have about Tuam are Travelers. Are they realy that bad as people stating they are?
    Tuam is a great place to live. It has very little of the trouble you see in most towns. It had a bad rep. in the past but is very quiet now. Schools are fairly good. Presentation primary is fairly popular and very handy for town. Biggest problem at the moment is finding a house as over 900 people working in valeo which has mopped up all the houses. Most travellers in town are part of community. Lots of sport asnd music. Pretty normap provincial town and new motor way should give another boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

luke83 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Born and raised there :-)

Tuam is well served with Primary Schools. Both in the Town and just outside.
    If you will have access to a Car for the School-run I would recommend Sylane National School, a little outside of town out the Weir Road, but it has an excellent reputation and may be easier for new-kids to settle into. In Tuam itself, either of the mercy or Presentation Primary schools are fine, there is also an Irish Speaking School.

I lived not far from the Weir Road as a child and in my day I remember the Weir road was as community that had a lot of young professional families, I am sure that the community is more mature now 20 years later. The Weir road is on the edge of the town, with a nice balance between a rural vibe and the accessibility of the town.

The Travelers in Tuam have not been a significant problem for the settled community in my memory. Sure they get a lot of bad press, but most issues are internal to their own community and there is rarely any issue with others. The Traveler community in Tuam is simply just another ethnic group with all the positives and negatives that come with a label. Just like any urban area, Tuam has it's collection toe-rags, but in my experience these are not in general from the Traveler community, who tend to stick to themselves and if you were to take alcohol out of the equation are probably better behaved than many of their settled neighbors.

In summary, Yes, Tuam is a fine place to raise a family, it has a good sense of place, a fine musical tradition, good sports clubs and mad sports fans, reasonable facilities, good transport links to Galway and beyond, improving with the new Motorway. And most importantly, the people are very welcoming, a small effort here and you will easily build a good social network, due to the large number of new people, you will not be alone as a new person in town.

Any problems that Tuam has it share with other towns of its size.

Just ask for any more information, let us know your interests and what is important to you and we can provide some specific feedback to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

As someone who is not a Traveller but lives in very close proximity, we never had an issue with them. The only issue would be the lack of respect for the physical environment they live in but that would be about it.

Tuam will have everything you need. Supermarkets, decent clothes shops, lots of pharmacies, hairdressers and food outlets.

There's the Gaelscoil, Presentation Primary, Mercy and then St. Pat's for the boys. If you have girls who are sporty, the town schools are a bit of a let down.

Welcome to Tuam, neighbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 luke83

Thank you very much for all those comments.
    It realy helped. We are now much more reassured. Looking forward to join Tuam community soon. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 valovalo

Hi
    Just looking at Tuam to maybe buy but wondering if prices are rising , looking at max 130 for 3-4 bedroom
    Working in galway and will be comuting daily
    Any advice on estates would be greatful

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

valovalo wrote: »
    Hi
    Just looking at Tuam to maybe buy but wondering if prices are rising , looking at max 130 for 3-4 bedroom
    Working in galway and will be comuting daily
    Any advice on estates would be greatful

There is great value to be found in tuam if you can get a newish semi for 130 I think you can't go wrong, my view is with the new motorway now tuam will boom, not sure about good or bad estates survey them yourself and knock at a few doors and tell them you are thinking of buying in the area and you might gett a feel for the place best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13 valovalo

popa smurf wrote: »
    There is great value to be found in tuam if you can get a newish semi for 130 I think you can't go wrong, my view is with the new motorway now tuam will boom, not sure about good or bad estates survey them yourself and knock at a few doors and tell them you are thinking of buying in the area and you might gett a feel for the place best of luck

Thanks for that info, will go down soon and drive into estates ect and see

Advertisement