Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claddagh Basin being drained on Friday 6th May

Options
  • 30-04-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭

Signs up all around Claddagh Basin today:

384723.jpg

I wonder what they're looking for ... and how many shopping trolleys they'll find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Galway Metal Company should send in a truck; they could make a fortune!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Fey! wrote: »

Won't be around....kayaked in it loadsa times...
    would love if someone could post a few pics when it's drained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Where exactly is the Claddagh Basin, how will it be drained and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

bobbyss wrote: »

Contact information is in the sign in the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The basin

Claddagh-BasinThe-Calm-WEB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where - number 11 on this map: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/claddagh-hall-church-fire-station-south.html

How - presumably by opening some lock gates or suchlike.

Why - Ahh, see the pic posted before.

Contact information is in the sign in the OP!

I don't think they will be answering phones or emails today. But thanks anyway.

If you go down on Friday there will be staff there to open the locks, they can tell you I'm sure.
    I'm may just head down meself for a gawk.

biko wrote: »
    The basin

Claddagh-BasinThe-Calm-WEB.jpg

That's a nice picture. Who painted it do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'll be out foreign, would really appreciate if someone could take pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

They drain it by opening it during high tide, removing the boats and then leaving the front (quay side) gate open as the tide goes out and then closing the gate when the tide is out fully and it *should* be mostly empty.

Would be interesting to see in there, someone please take pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

They drain it by opening it during high tide, removing the boats and then leaving the front (quay side) gate open as the tide goes out and then closing the gate when the tide is out fully and it *should* be mostly empty.

Would be interesting to see in there, someone please take pics.

They're also going to have to divert the water coming from Parkavera lock (or put the slats back in to stop the flow)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Signs up all around Claddagh Basin today:

384723.jpg

I wonder what they're looking for ... and how many shopping trolleys they'll find.
    Add your reply here.
    Fey! wrote: »

There's a large garden pot in there from one of the houses facing the basin.
    One of my mates horsed it there on a drunken night night back in 1995.

Still not clear to me what exactly is happening. Will they be using any machinery? They are opening something with the intention of something happening? Something about a high tide? They want things to drift out to sea? Shopping trollies? Muck?
    Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

The first low tide on Friday's at 11:20am and in theory the big reveal? i think i'll take a stroll down at lunch. i'd say there could be a stench.

Still not clear to me what exactly is happening. Will they be using any machinery? They are opening something with the intention of something happening? Something about a high tide? They want things to drift out to sea? Shopping trollies? Muck?
    Anyone know?

I'd say they'll open the gates on the river at high tide ( Friday 5:20am), block off the basin at the inlet from the canal and let the water drain with the tide. at low water they'll close the gates at the river to stop water entering during the following high tide.

I'm just guessing here

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Its the fact that this sort of thing is rare that is catching peoples attention. I dont remember this being done before. It would be the same if it was the docks..its the "unusualness " of it !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

topcat77 wrote: »
    The first low tide on Friday's at 11:20am and in theory the big reveal? i think i'll take a stroll down at lunch. i'd say there could be a stench.
    George's Dock in the IFSC is drained on a regular basis and it smells pretty rank.

The perfect scenario for a slow mo camera. The CC or the relevant authority should install one as it is of interest. It's a rare enough occurrence.

• Advertisement

Hey Topcat, any chance you'd take a few pics and post them up? For the good of humanity

Hey Topcat, any chance you'd take a few pics and post them up? For the good of humanity

I'll try but the phones camera's s*!t. MotoG

If one went down on Friday pm after six, what might one expect to see at that time? Would it be worth one's trouble?

So the locks are open now? The sign in OP says Thursday 5 May at 1700.

Oh Fiddlesticks.
    I thought it was Friday.
    Will it be filled up again on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

If one went down on Friday pm after six, what might one expect to see at that time? Would it be worth one's trouble?

One might expect to see trollies, bollards, cans and maybe even a garden pot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was an Environmental Impact Assessment carried out to see the impact it would have on fauna and flora?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    One might expect to see trollies, bollards, cans and maybe even a garden pot.

I pray thee Good Sir, how doest thou speak with such confidence Davy Jones' locker?
    Doest thou, perchance, have certain fore knowledge concerning such matters of trollies, bollards and one certain garden pot?
    Speak now, Sir, 'fore yonder Constabularies are called hither. Speak, Sir Ronnie, I charge thee concerning garden pots and such like and amend thine ways fore the wrath of ye Gods befall thee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Drove passed about an hour ago and stopped for a look. The water level was about as far below the high water mark on the wall as there is space on the wall above the high water mark, if that makes any sense?
    I could see the tops of about a dozen bollards and a trolley or two, there was one of those very small boats that appeared to have sunken a good while ago and 2 lads had gone down to it on a ladder.

• Advertisement

I'll try but the phones camera's s*!t. MotoG

Cheers. Have the same phone with sh1t camera.

Gates only open at 5pm today to let boats out. It's 2mro when the site investigation is happening

Advertisement