Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claddagh Basin being drained on Friday 6th May

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Some pics from this morning, very surprised how clean it is and no smell, sunken boat, lots of bollards and the usual shopping trolley.

20160506_094222_zpsuy8ms4vm.jpg

20160506_094215_zpshjpdqh0d.jpg

20160506_094201_zpspw6spbvt.jpg

20160506_094157_zps0gaqpunc.jpg

20160506_094155_zpsrgfjobub.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What a waste of space, turn it into a car park pronto!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Passed by a few minutes ago and was surprised that nothing has happened there, I thought the least they could do would be to remove the trash.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Was an Environmental Impact Assessment carried out to see the impact it would have on fauna and flora?
    Curious as to why you think an EIA should be conducted for a 150 year old structure being used in a manner consistent with its purpose? Am I missing some recent development to the process?

Robbo wrote: »
    Curious as to why you think an EIA should be conducted for a 150 year old structure being used in a manner consistent with its purpose? Am I missing some recent development to the process?
    Tongue is in cheek so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Traffic cone graveyard

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Just passed along by the salthouse. Lots rocks, bottles, rubbish exposed. They seem to have cut trees on the opposite side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Spring cleaning the waterways, niiice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

A big multi-story one, the basement is dug out for it an all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A big multi-story one, the basement is dug out for it an all!

Don't be giving Noel ideas now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Someone was bailing out that sunken boat, perhaps trying to float it. Mad, it looked revolting. Apart from that, not much interesting stuff down there. A couple of bikes, a rake of traffic cones and cans.

A couple of bikes, a rake of traffic cones and cans.
    an art installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

An extremely low tide is expected on Saturday at noon.

I hope they don't close it before then, as I haven't had the chance to see it yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

There must be some fish there too or eels

Sure the kayakers can go into the river, them rapids'll make them learn fast! and it'd SO improve the look of the Spanish Arch area........

But then again, without a bypass, sure isn't the whole place a car park already?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Sure the kayakers can go into the river, them rapids'll make them learn fast! and it'd SO improve the look of the Spanish Arch area........

But then again, without a bypass, sure isn't the whole place a car park already?

They should move the Kayakers to Eyre Square. Its never used but those Kayakers will never go there cause the crossings are in the wrong place and those in city hall are lining their pockets and bowing to motorists

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

an art installation?

"Detritus De Scobes Dans La Mer"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Passed by last night about 8. All normal. I suppose all the rubbish was removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any update on this, did they just clean it or did the change some paving and features around it.
    Any report on the findings?

Ancient broze age shopping trolleys only?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

From what i could gather the basin was being drained so they could inspect the canal lock. i went down i didn't see anything of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

There was a recent article about the state of the city's canals and neglected locks. They quoted a figure for repairs and perhaps the investigation allowed by draining the basin fed into that report.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Paddico wrote: »
    Any update on this, did they just clean it or did the change some paving and features around it.
    Any report on the findings?

Ancient broze age shopping trolleys only?
    There was a Russian sub found but only Trevor O'Cloakingdevice could see it. In an unrelated matter, the previous night he dozed off watching The Hunt For The Red October after some particularly potent cheese.

Advertisement